Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:10 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Dont tell me i'm wrong, I DIDNT do the report, JP Morgan did How about a Forbes story, I also linked to their story here... Did you have any evidence to prove THEY are wrong?

I looked forward to your response listing all of Obamas solutions that were not government oriented., really I did, l'm not surprised to not see anything here.. Just typical deflection into claims that policies are indeed free market oriented, without any examples, and changing the topic to Clinton..
I guess you all have gotten your marching orders from your leaders - Beck, Hannity, whatever. How many threads will crop up on this subject? Pretty funny.

Anyway, how don't you see that Obama's using the government to shore up and stabilize the private sector? All of his policies are focused on doing just that. There's your list.

I think you actually think one ideology works all the time, ignoring the fact that your ideology had free reign for many years and pushed us to the brink of collapse.

Seriously - see the value in both sides. Right now we need a shot of government. Soon we'll need a shot of free market. It's all about moving with the flow, not getting stuck in firm ideologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 08:12 PM

968 posts, read 1,039,175 times
There are 15 cabinet members. 7% would mean 1 out of 15. I wonder which 1 cabinet member Michael Cembalest considers to have had private sector experience. Was it too hard for Michael Cembalest to mention the name of this 1 person in his story/analysis. Maybe even some background on this 1 individual's private sector background.

This story with its analysis and its graph is a joke.
http://www.forbes.com/2009/11/24/mic...y-cabinet.html

Last edited by ramanboy33; 11-30-2009 at 08:22 PM..

Old 11-30-2009, 08:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
I don't get my information from obviously incorrect graphs.

I'm referring to the list I made of Cabinet members (and other Cabinet level officials) and their specific Private Sector Experience:

Cabinet:

Hilary Clinton: Rose Law Firm
Timothy Geithner: Kissinger Associates
Robert Gates: Member of many corporate boards, including companies in the defense industry such as the Science Application International Corporation
I'm not going through all of these, but Geithner hasnt worked for Kissinger Associations in ove 20 years, (maybe the survey cut off is 20 years, I dont know, I didnt make up the report)

Robert Gates, has worked for the CIA since leaving college in 1966, and served in the USAirforce from 1967-1969. He also has worked for The National Security Council for over 26 years+ (per Wikipedia), He served as president of Texas A&M University, which is funded by such organizations as NASA, and was a member of the Iraq Study Group, another public position.

Among others you listed Joe Biden, who is Vice President, and not a member of cabinet, and Lisa Jackson, from the EPA, which is not from the private sector

Last edited by pghquest; 11-30-2009 at 08:34 PM..

Old 11-30-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I guess you all have gotten your marching orders from your leaders - Beck, Hannity, whatever. How many threads will crop up on this subject? Pretty funny.
Is this all you have? Attack Beck, Hannity, (you left out Fox, and Limbaugh) on a topic? I guess you havent found your typical left wing blogs to get your "retort" lined up yet, if this is the best you can come up with..
Quote:
Anyway, how don't you see that Obama's using the government to shore up and stabilize the private sector? All of his policies are focused on doing just that. There's your list.
Thats not a list, thats an opinion, I asked for ANY policy of Obamas that doesnt have "government" as the solution. Is is that difficult to find one?
Quote:
I think you actually think one ideology works all the time, ignoring the fact that your ideology had free reign for many years and pushed us to the brink of collapse. .
More evidence that you havent done ONE bit of research on the cause of the collapse.. I bet if I ask you for a list of policies which "my ideology" helped cause the collapse, you wont list them either, but will come back with yet another opinion..
Quote:
Seriously - see the value in both sides. Right now we need a shot of government. Soon we'll need a shot of free market. It's all about moving with the flow, not getting stuck in firm ideologies.
Ahh, and here we have the response I was looking for. You agree with the "government = the solution" actions being taken by Obama.. Then why didnt you just say so instead of pretending that isnt his policy. Its almost like your embarassed to have this stance...

Old 11-30-2009, 08:34 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,530 times
Quote:
Ooooh JP Morgan didnt do it, an employee of JP Morgan did.. There, now that we got that unimportant difference settled..
Funny how you believe paying attention to details and getting it right is "unimportant". Explains a lot....

Old 11-30-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
There are 15 cabinet members. 7% would mean 1 out of 15. I wonder which 1 cabinet member Michael Cembalest considers to have had private sector experience. Was it too hard for Michael Cembalest to mention the name of this 1 person in his story/analysis. Maybe even some background on this 1 individual's private sector background.

This story with its analysis and its graph is a joke.
Obama's Business Blind Spot - Forbes.com
The story lists 432 cabinet membes, not 15..
I compiled the prior private-sector experience of all 432 cabinet members

Old 11-30-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Funny how you believe paying attention to details and getting it right is "unimportant". Explains a lot....
Funny how this little tidbit of JP Morgan vs JP Morgan employee, changes nothing for the topic. This of course assumes that Cembalest wasnt on Morgans payroll during the time of the survey.. Ooh wait, he was/is..

Thanks for the correction, but how does it dispute the information?

The importance of this addition to the story I would equate to you telling me you had a double cheeseburger for lunch, but the truth is you had a triple.. yeah, its that important..

Old 11-30-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I'm not going through all of these, but Geithner hasnt worked for Kissinger Associations in ove 20 years, (maybe the survey cut off is 20 years, I dont know, I didnt make up the report)

Robert Gates, has worked for the CIA since leaving college in 1966, and served in the USAirforce from 1967-1969. He also has worked for The National Security Council for over 26 years+ (per Wikipedia), He served as president of Texas A&M University, which is funded by such organizations as NASA, and was a member of the Iraq Study Group, another public position.

Among others you listed Joe Biden, who is Vice President, and not a member of cabinet, and Lisa Jackson, from the EPA, a PUBLIC operation
Robert Gates: Personally, I wouldn't care if the Secretary of Defense only has government work (military) as his resume. Gates, however, also has plenty of Private Sector experience. Since he left the CIA he's been in Private Industry. He's an entrapenuer: he gets paid to lecture. He was on many corporate boards: Fidelity Investments, NACCO Industries, Brinker International, Parker Drilling Company, Science Applications International Corporation.

I separated (physically and by labeling) the 15 members of the Cabinet from the other 7 Cabinet Level Officals (this includes Joe Biden). I looked at the other 7 because, at the time, I wan't sure of Michael Cembalest's methodology.

As for Lisa Jackson, I clearly counted her among the people who DID NOT HAVE PRIVATE SECTOR EXPERIENCE.

Last edited by ramanboy33; 11-30-2009 at 08:46 PM..

Old 11-30-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
The story lists 432 cabinet membes, not 15..
I compiled the prior private-sector experience of all 432 cabinet members
Yeah, but only 15 have served under Obama. So the 7% represents 1 of 15.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:40 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,074,281 times
You realize just because someone has worked a government job most of their life it doesn't make them retarded right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies