Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 11:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

dont run over old ladies and then accuse the cop of racial profiling when he askes for your license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 11:33 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Stop acting, dressing, walking, and talking like a criminal. Stop hanging out with people who do. Stay out of high crime neighborhoods. Then you won't draw negative attention to yourself.

Profiling is the intelligent way to fight crime. America is just tangled up in political correctness. That's about to change as crime and terrorism reach epidemic proportions.
To whom are you addressing this pithy advice? What does "like a criminal" mean? I've talked about this before, but I'll do it again here, because I think it is instructive. I live in the largest metro area in the U.S. Here, you can pretty much wear what you want. Tomorrow to work, and I have a career, in the sense that my job is more than a job and it requires a high level of expertise to do it well, I will wear a plaid tweed and high-waisted skirt, coupled with tights, riding boots, a simple and tasteful cashmere sweater, and a silk scarf artfully, if I do say so myself, tied around my hair. My jewelry will be chunky and funky. I will also wear a boiled-wool hat in a color that makes me stand out, maybe purple, maybe raspberry.

While doing the things that a career woman does, I will not look like what many people think career women look like. I will run a few meetings, make some other executive decisions, and work for about 12 hours. Along the way, I will have conversations--none of them chatty, mind you--with people who are a variety of shades of brown. They all live where I live and work where I work. They dress like I do, and somehow we all manage to get along.

I feel blessed and lucky to have this life. I have this life because I respect my great-grandparents, who came here with nothing, erected a homestead in Iowa, never learned good English, and managed to raise 11 children against all odds. Raising 11 children under harsh winter conditions in the Upper Midwest is pretty hard as a subsistence farmer, as is being a sharecropper in Mississippi at about the same time. Because I have never forgotten my dirt poor roots, I think I have an easier time relating to immigrants than some white people do. My people lack pretensions. I can afford to affect a few now, but they are really just for my amusement. They mean nothing beyond that.

My ancestors' hard work bought me access to an education, and I try to make every single thing I do a testament to them and all they sacrificed for me. Being stingy in spirit and exhibiting close-mindedness would be the opposite of that--they would hate it if I were to side with management. Do I feel guilty for a Civil War that happened before my ancestors even got here? No. Do I feel angry when I see other people knock more recent immigrants and other people who haven't quite yet arrived? Most emphatically, yes. I really hate hypocrisy, and several recent threads that appear to be about racial rhetoric in America reek of it. I don't see how some people can feel comfortable both preaching and denying personal responsibility at the same time. As my great-grandmother would have said, in her broken English, "there is cake on the plate, but once you eat it, it will be gone." She held little me on her lap, and said, essentially, "baby, you can't have your cake and eat it too. You must choose." I hope I never forget that. When I die, I want to be able to honestly say to her, "I learned that, at least. We were poor, poor, people, but we were always generous. The garden always grew more."

Old 12-02-2009, 06:37 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Yes, I did. Every experience with them seemed to be negative, with only a few positives. You dont seem to understand it and just make excuses for the behavioral and cultural issues. Over the past few years, more blacks have moved into the surrounding areas and crime has gone up, sadly. The concept still stands true. What do you attribute to this? Yea it sucks for the good blacks, but the bad ones ruin it for them. Local malls have started to have an increase in black population, and again as a result, shoplifting, robberies, parking lot car thefts and carjackings have shot up. Literally. These were NICE MALLS BEFORE! The nice black families who want to get out of Detroit to shop in the nice malls, well, they are few and far in between as the rest came to basically pillage the store. Maybe the Detroit area is different, I don't know. I welcome you to fly to the Metro Detroit area and I'll show you around. Go talk with security at stores, to police officers, and see which race makes up the majority of shoplifting, car thefts, etc, yet are a tiny fraction of the population over here.

So I guess blacks should hate whites for all the oppressive, atrocious things they did to blacks throughout the history of the Americas, just for an example...........Or should I differentiate between the "good whites" and the "bad whites?"

Old 12-02-2009, 06:44 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Stop acting, dressing, walking, and talking like a criminal. Stop hanging out with people who do. Stay out of high crime neighborhoods. Then you won't draw negative attention to yourself.

Yeah.......too bad that doesn't work.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:54 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Sorry, my keyboard is broken.

Anyway, I never said anything about following someone around,either.
You said it's okay for the police to focus more on group A...so if I'm a member of group A should I just accept that the police will focus on me more because of the actions of others? It's okay for the police to stop me and treat me like a criminal because of something I have no control over (being born black)? I guess this is why the line "a black guy did it!" is so popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
White people are so damn scared to do or say anything wrong.
That's because there a still a large percentage of white people who don't realize that they're saying something completely and totally offensive that under different circumstances might get them knocked the hell out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
So I guess blacks should hate whites for all the oppressive, atrocious things they did to blacks throughout the history of the Americas, just for an example...........Or should I differentiate between the "good whites" and the "bad whites?"
No such thing as "bad whites"

Well I see our resident undercover racist has chimed in so I guess this will be my last post on this thread.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:28 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
To whom are you addressing this pithy advice? What does "like a criminal" mean? I've talked about this before, but I'll do it again here, because I think it is instructive. I live in the largest metro area in the U.S. Here, you can pretty much wear what you want. Tomorrow to work, and I have a career, in the sense that my job is more than a job and it requires a high level of expertise to do it well, I will wear a plaid tweed and high-waisted skirt, coupled with tights, riding boots, a simple and tasteful cashmere sweater, and a silk scarf artfully, if I do say so myself, tied around my hair. My jewelry will be chunky and funky. I will also wear a boiled-wool hat in a color that makes me stand out, maybe purple, maybe raspberry.

While doing the things that a career woman does, I will not look like what many people think career women look like. I will run a few meetings, make some other executive decisions, and work for about 12 hours. Along the way, I will have conversations--none of them chatty, mind you--with people who are a variety of shades of brown. They all live where I live and work where I work. They dress like I do, and somehow we all manage to get along.

I feel blessed and lucky to have this life. I have this life because I respect my great-grandparents, who came here with nothing, erected a homestead in Iowa, never learned good English, and managed to raise 11 children against all odds. Raising 11 children under harsh winter conditions in the Upper Midwest is pretty hard as a subsistence farmer, as is being a sharecropper in Mississippi at about the same time. Because I have never forgotten my dirt poor roots, I think I have an easier time relating to immigrants than some white people do. My people lack pretensions. I can afford to affect a few now, but they are really just for my amusement. They mean nothing beyond that.

My ancestors' hard work bought me access to an education, and I try to make every single thing I do a testament to them and all they sacrificed for me. Being stingy in spirit and exhibiting close-mindedness would be the opposite of that--they would hate it if I were to side with management. Do I feel guilty for a Civil War that happened before my ancestors even got here? No. Do I feel angry when I see other people knock more recent immigrants and other people who haven't quite yet arrived? Most emphatically, yes. I really hate hypocrisy, and several recent threads that appear to be about racial rhetoric in America reek of it. I don't see how some people can feel comfortable both preaching and denying personal responsibility at the same time. As my great-grandmother would have said, in her broken English, "there is cake on the plate, but once you eat it, it will be gone." She held little me on her lap, and said, essentially, "baby, you can't have your cake and eat it too. You must choose." I hope I never forget that. When I die, I want to be able to honestly say to her, "I learned that, at least. We were poor, poor, people, but we were always generous. The garden always grew more."
Blah blah blah -- I don't care what you wear to work or what you do once there. I suspect no one else cares either, but you had an impulse to share your bio. This seems to be a screed on honorable immigrants, who are not the topic of this thread. The topic of this thread happens to be profiling of groups who are more commonly implicated in crimes. Poor working class immigrants who live on farms and mind their own business and don't rob, rape, or kill people, dress like gangbangers, deal drugs and pimp prostitutes don't get profiled. Got that?

Old 12-02-2009, 09:33 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,766,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
No doubt . This is 2009. No reason for today's black youth to blame anybody but them-self for their situation!

so you first blame culture and then deny it has any impact. you could argue with yourself and not win.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:35 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,766,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
dont run over old ladies and then accuse the cop of racial profiling when he askes for your license.

look up the definition of profiling before speaking on it

Old 12-02-2009, 09:46 AM

937 posts, read 2,834,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
now i diregard your entire line of thinking because it is clear you are hateful, and a racist and worse than that a racist that hides and can't just admit it. you are a coward.
I don't care if you label me a racist. Think what you want. I have no issues getting along with any other race as long as they behave like normal people.

Now again, you disregard any stats or proof, like always, and just go straight to name calling. It's ok, you can't argue. Good try my friend

Old 12-02-2009, 09:53 AM

937 posts, read 2,834,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
oh now i get clothes determine a person and what they do............ have a bunch of hooded robes in your closet do you
You're right, how someone dresses can definitely influence how someone will look at you and perceive your actions. Based on association, every brain does it. When walking down the street and a dog approaches you, your mind has an idea of what may be perceived as a threat due to past experience. A rottweiler approaching may trigger "fear" or "caution", while a Golden Labrador may make you feel more at ease. Get the picture?

Now, of course everyone that didn't vote for Obama has hooded robes. If a woman grabs her purse tighter as a group of black males approach, she has hooded robes. That Officer who wrote the black guy for speeding, he has hooded robes too. You hide behind your computer on here claiming you're white, when in reality I think you're black. You despise any white person who points out any kind of facts or opinions against someone of the black race. Go back to living in la la land...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies