Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 11:33 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I will admit that how you dress affects how you are perceived. It may not be fair but it's the reality. We can spend all day debating the merit of this issue but I would rather people dress well so that they are not negatively stereotyped. And "dressing well" doesn't require that one spend a lot of money. In my opinion, someone who dresses well is someone who dresses neatly meaning his shoes are shined, his pants and shirts are pressed, his hair is combed or styled neatly, he is clean shaven, he smells nice, his fingernails are cropped and clean. It doesn't take much. You don't need to wear Hugo Boss or Prada to look neat. You can buy clothes from Wal-Mart or Target and look sharp if you take care of yourself. If you dress like a gangbanger, you will be treated like one. If you were hooded sweatshirts, with goatees and tattoos, you will be treated like a guy who just got out of prison.

The same goes for speech. If you curse, speak in slang, talk like you are from the hood or sound like a hick, you will be interpreted as being dumb. I know some might read this and say "Yeah but you are selling out" That's fine, I would rather be successful and unoriginal than poor and original. No one really cares how "original" you are if you don't have a job or are in jail because some cop discriminated against you. Yes, I know the police should become more aware and sophisticated but I live in the real world. I'm not going to wait for them to change. I'm going to dress as well as I can and carry myself as professionally as I can. Sure, they might pull you over based on racial profiling but if you carry yourself professionally and don't get angry as a result ie William "Skip" Gates, you will be fine. Like I said, I live in the real world. I would love it if the police would change but they won't. Protect yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUAK7t3Lf8s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 11:53 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Sorry, I don't want to watch a 3 minute clip.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:54 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times

If every one dress the same there would be no racial profiling of our comrades

Old 12-02-2009, 11:59 AM

937 posts, read 2,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
you are describing racism and can not even see it.

Main Entry: rac·ism
Pronunciation: \ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi-\
Function: noun
Date: 1933
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particularrace

assuming anything based on skin color is racism and not ok no matter what you say.
LOL. You crack me up man. Keep it up, you make my day. I don't honestly care how many times you say racism, racist, whatever else. Are you trying to hurt my feelings?

Old 12-02-2009, 12:43 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
[SIZE=+1]"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."[/SIZE] -- Benjamin Franklin
Not applicable.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:57 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,638,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post

If every one dress the same there would be no racial profiling of our comrades

I'll take my uniform in pink, please.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:04 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
What can white guys do to avoid being profiled by the cops every time there's an Amber alert or it's reported that a dangerous serial killer is on the loose?

Old 12-02-2009, 05:33 PM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,337,348 times
I really don't care if someone profiles me, I know myself better than anybody else. So if you want to "classify" me as a thug because of the way I dress then so be it. It really doesn't matter to me anyway, because I don't steal, won't kill, won't harm anyone (unless someone is trying to harm me) I may act a little "HOOD/GHETTO" as you people say but that doesn't mean I'm an unethical human being.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:34 PM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,337,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
What can white guys do to avoid being profiled by the cops every time there's an Amber alert or it's reported that a dangerous serial killer is on the loose?
I have no clue

Old 12-02-2009, 06:49 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWV View Post
I really don't care if someone profiles me, I know myself better than anybody else. So if you want to "classify" me as a thug because of the way I dress then so be it. It really doesn't matter to me anyway, because I don't steal, won't kill, won't harm anyone (unless someone is trying to harm me) I may act a little "HOOD/GHETTO" as you people say but that doesn't mean I'm an unethical human being.
Do not drive vans without windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies