Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 09:54 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I never thought about that. My response is usually a swift and snotty "no".
Racial profiling isn't just about the police. It is about other facets of life too.
I used to do that too but I realized they would still stay in the same vicinty I was in so I figure it'll be easier for you to watch me if I just sit in the dressing room and let you bring the clothes to me.

I remember when I was in grade school one of my cousins became real friendly with two white girls. The girls weren’t very nice (to anyone) so we couldn’t figure out why they latched on to her…until we discovered they went to the corner store every day after school. While the owner was so busy watching my cousin the two girls would be stuffing their pockets with stuff Guess he must have been following that mindset that since group A is known for stealing I’d better direct all my focus on her
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 12:52 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Judging a book by its cover.
To you, all of certain kinds of books are bad.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:56 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
What can minorities do to avoid racial profiling?
wear one of these, it works for me.

dumb thread
Attached Thumbnails
How to avoid getting racially profiled-ronald-reagan-mask-1.jpg  

Old 12-03-2009, 12:58 PM

937 posts, read 2,833,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
To you, all of certain kinds of books are bad.
I guess.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:43 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,765,125 times
Quote:
That is true. It isn't legal. With that said, many police officers(and mall security too) sometimes skin color is seen as a "legitimate reason" in the eyes of some law enforcement officers. In fact, an antiracist activist went on a police training seminar in Los Angeles. Two officers admitted that if they saw a young Black male driving a nice, new car in a White neighborhood, they think drug dealer. Basically, the officers admitted to being racist.

obviously it happens but it not legal. I personally know someone, a white guy stopped in a black neighborhood for no reason but skin color. He was arrested for drugs which he did have. It was thrown out of court the first day. 4th amendment violation.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:35 PM

937 posts, read 2,833,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
obviously it happens but it not legal. I personally know someone, a white guy stopped in a black neighborhood for no reason but skin color. He was arrested for drugs which he did have. It was thrown out of court the first day. 4th amendment violation.
Officer could have articulated it better. White guy in a black neighborhood, which may have been a high narcotics area, and was found to be loitering. You can find PC to stop anybody. Proof of this story?

Old 12-03-2009, 03:01 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
Quote:
There might be people like that in Target. I probably never notice them because I am not being followed. I will tell you this about myself. I don't steal. I am also gravely aware that I can be perceived as a potential thief. One of my favorite things is using the samples. It is a penchant of mine. I usually end up buying that product later on. When I was a kid, I used to think nothing of using the samples or testers. Nowadays I feel leery about it. I know it isn't stealing, but often I feel like I could be perceived as such or even thought of as a nuisance. I think about these things more because of things that have happened to me. As for the bookstore event that happened, well, that is why I go to the Borders that I normally go to on a regular basis. Sitting there and reading the books is like a pastime of mine. I can happily say no one has ever followed me in that store or tried to act fake nice to me. I can go in and relax, but I am still aware. I guess the fact that it hasn't happened at that Borders is part of the reason I keep going back.
Never been followed in a book or music store either. What I can say is that the places that try to give off the strongest air of progressiveness(AE, Urban Outfitters and the like) tend to be the worst at that. Considering their silly prices, I suppose it takes a thief to know a thief. I've never been followed in a Sears or Macy's. Boutiques/Vintage shops are hit or miss.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:58 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Never been followed in a book or music store either. What I can say is that the places that try to give off the strongest air of progressiveness(AE, Urban Outfitters and the like) tend to be the worst at that. Considering their silly prices, I suppose it takes a thief to know a thief. I've never been followed in a Sears or Macy's. Boutiques/Vintage shops are hit or miss.
I was followed in a bookstore. I mentioned it in an earlier post. I also mentioned that I was never followed at Borders. I don't shop at AE, Urban Outfitters. I am not surprised that places that try to "act" progressive are often the places that really aren't. It is more a front than anything. Northpoint Mall in Alpharetta,GA(directly north of Atlanta). Northpoint looks very upscale and in some ways, you might say it's progressive because of the stores it has, but it felt like I didn't belong. It felt like an uptight place. The bookstore incident happened in that mall. I got a feeling it was racial in nature because the lady who worked there didn't do that to anyone else and the "don't dress ghetto" rule didn't work for me. To this day, I refuse to go into that bookstore. I look at it this way: If you are going to treat me like crap, then you don't deserve any of my prospective dollars or my patronage, and you might need my patronage one day.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:07 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I was in a boutique once and the lady kept following me around the store. Every time I looked up she was looking at me...she was a black chick around my age so I asked her why she was staring at me and she said because I was staring at her lol..apparently one of the signs that someone is shoplifting is watching the sales people to see if they're watching you

Old 12-03-2009, 07:52 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,765,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Officer could have articulated it better. White guy in a black neighborhood, which may have been a high narcotics area, and was found to be loitering. You can find PC to stop anybody. Proof of this story?
High narcotics area still does not warrant random stops. Driving through a town is not loitering. Unless you are a proponent of further police misconduct?

this is the only thing i could find online about the case. It has actually established case law for use in other cases. I know the person in the super 390.

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/intm_419.pdf

While police agencies are permitted, indeed are expected, to conduct crime
trend analysis and to train officers as to those facts and circumstances that, while
innocent on their face, provide a reasonable basis for suspecting criminal activity,
the law also provides that certain factors may not be considered by law enforcement.
In State v. Kuhn, 213 N.J. Super. 275 (App. Div. 1986), the court held that
police are not permitted to draw any inferences of criminal activity from a
suspect’s race. 213 N.J. Super. at 281. The court in State v. Patterson, supra,
expounded on this point, noting that, “[c]ertainly the police cannot conclude that
all young, male African-Americans are suspected of involvement in the illicit drug
trade. Therefore, an individual’s race cannot be considered at all when conclusions
are reached or assumed as to a ‘profile’ suggesting criminal activity.” 270
N.J. Super. at 559. See also State v. Letts, 254 N.J. Super. 390 (Law Div. 1992).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies