Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 05:49 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
Well, they did. And they do. No matter what, they have a low crime rate. Asians have the lowest crime rate -- it's no accident that they do tend to think in "groups." Just a take. I don't expect anyone to go along with i!
Except for the Asian gangs and the Asian organized crime syndicates, right.

Asian Gangs Los Angeles County

Southeast*Asian*Gangs (http://www.knowgangs.com/gang_resources/sea/southeast_asian_gangs_001.htm - broken link)

Asian gangs among the bloodiest | visaliatimesdelta.com | Visalia Times-Delta and Tulare Advance-Register

Asian Street Gangs and Organized Crime in Focus

The Mafia in New Jersey - Asian Organized Crime Groups - Tongs and Street Gangs - Asian Organized Crime Groups

And back to the original point, a group of people should not have to apologize for the actions of a few simply because they share some characteristics.

Do I really have to apologize to men for what Lorna Bobbit did or to children for what Susan Smith did because I'm a woman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 05:55 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
I am persuaded that you do believe that you are a "mighty fine individual."
I'm flattered that you noticed.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:24 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
And back to the original point, a group of people should not have to apologize for the actions of a few simply because they share some characteristics.
What you need to be is angry.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:17 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's brings us to the crux of the problem for the black/white relations in this area, white people like myself see an influx of black people into their communities but what we see is them bringing their problems with them. Those that have all intentions of trying to make a better life are being stymeied by those within their own community. The neighbohoods of old wouldn't even be recognizable today.

So here's my question, what is a white person like me to think or do?

I understand not all black people are like this, maybe even the majority of them for all I know but that's not what I see.
You appear to have answered your own question. You obviously recognize the fact that these social ills are bred by class. It only becomes a "problem of race" when all you seem to encounter are the problems perpetuated by the black underclass.

My assertion is simply this: Blacks who are playing by the rules in your community shouldn't feel any more hampered by the social pathologies of the black underclass than whites. In fact, a cross-racial alliance of good, hard-working residents determined to supplant crime would seem to be in order. Relegating the problem to the sole purview of black people does nothing but foster a racially-defined "us vs them" mentality that gets nobody anywhere.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:29 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
You appear to have answered your own question. You obviously recognize the fact that these social ills are bred by class. It only becomes a "problem of race" when all you seem to encounter are the problems perpetuated by the black underclass.

My assertion is simply this: Blacks who are playing by the rules in your community shouldn't feel any more hampered by the social pathologies of the black underclass than whites. In fact, a cross-racial alliance of good, hard-working residents determined to supplant crime would seem to be in order. Relegating the problem to the sole purview of black people does nothing but foster a racially-defined "us vs them" mentality that gets nobody anywhere.
I agree. I believe the fundamental problem is scarcity. Of money, food, resources, love, health care, education, or whatever. As long as some people are generous while others are greedy to an unconscionable extent, we will have problems. The problems with the black criminal subculture are the same as the white methhead subculture which are the same as every other subculture. A pretty stark example is the movie The Gangs of New York, which depicts the sometimes criminal behavior of poor immigrant white people who were discriminated against. The setting is obvious from the title, but the larger context is America during the Civil War.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:56 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,183,415 times
No, blacks should not feel guilty BUT unfortunately many blacks get thrown in the same basket as many of the
"non productive" blacks.

Due in part to stereotypes. I am far from that kind of black but even at jobs where there are only a few blacks, it never fails that if one black "goes along" with whatever, the white manager always happens to mention that black person and somehow thinks since they went along with the idea or whatever I should also. Not once have I ever been compared to a white coworker. When i am compared to coworkers at work it's always another black person. I guess we must all...............think a like.

I hope that makes sense.

Even when I try to not walk around with this "guilt"......whites have away or reminding me that I'm black. For example.......watch a news show and listen to the way in which the white panelists are asked questions and listen to how the blacks are asked questions.......many times, it's from a "black point of view".

Not every issue needs to have a racial tone to it. Even when you'd like to believe in a colorblind society......someone is always there to remind that it does not exist.

Damn good thread.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I'm almost certain that most (if not all) of the black posters on here can relate to this in some form or fashion:

You're watching the evening news. Story comes on about a horrendous crime that has put the community on edge. Much to your chagrin, you discover that the perp is, yep, black. You sigh, shake your head. "It just had to be another brother". A strike against your race - a strike against you.

You see a rowdy group of black kids on the street - thugs, if you will - causing quite a disturbance. You notice the reactions of the white folks that pass by. Fright, indignation, disdain. Another strike. You sigh, shake your head again. "Why can't they just act right?"

Black guilt.

So you accommodate. You go about town, trying your best not to appear in any way "threatening". You make it a point to speak clearly and politely. If you see a woman with a worried look coming toward you on the sidewalk, you already know what's coming - you cross the street first just to avoid the tension and inevitable indignity. Your heart beats a little faster every time you walk into a bank, a convenience store, a high-end retailer. You want to project innocence, trying your hardest not to make any sudden or "suspicious" moves. But you're already enveloped in a sea of guilt once you set foot in that door.

Black guilt.

We've already heard a good deal about so-called "white guilt", which has more or less been described as an attitude characterized by some moral inclination on the part of white people to redress the historical (and present) wrongs caused by whites against people of color. The chief contention from many whites critical of this attitude is that they have nothing to feel "guilty" about, as neither they nor their ancestors had any direct role in the oppression of minorities.

Fair enough. But I fail to see the same principle being applied to hard-working, upstanding black people, almost as if it is assumed that white guilt's corollary, "black guilt", is just something that blacks who are playing by the rules have to deal with. That is to say, it is up to us "good" blacks to compensate for the shortcomings of our "not-so-good" counterparts, to bear the burden of everything wrong in the black community, as if we had a direct say in it.

So my question is this: Should blacks who are doing the right thing feel any more "guilty" about the social ills perpetrated by other blacks than non-racist, fair-minded whites should about the racism and oppression perpetrated by other whites?

Old 12-04-2009, 01:27 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,183,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
As another white guy, that really sucks. I have gotten that reaction when I'm hungover, unshaved and slept in my clothes, but day to day I get treated pretty well. I think I could get away with a lot as a preppy white dude. Sorry to hear about this crap.
To be honest I really think you enjoy the notion that blacks have to deal with this. I think you actually like the idea of being a preppy white boy that can get away with a lot.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:31 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,832 times
Basically if you are black, you are always going to be pigeonholed. Not every person is gonna do it, but at some point someone is going to assume something about you because you are in fact black. And it's not going to be positive like being good at math or some **** like that. Hell, even the big dick myth is a backhanded compliment.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:59 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Basically if you are black, you are always going to be pigeonholed. Not every person is gonna do it, but at some point someone is going to assume something about you because you are in fact black. And it's not going to be positive like being good at math or some **** like that. Hell, even the big dick myth is a backhanded compliment.
Precisely. 'Course it always follows that a hypersexual, athletically-inclined mandingo usually suffers from a concomitant lack of innate intellectual capacity. "Can't have it all" they say.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:57 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I was in either 4th or 5th grade but I wasn't retarded so my memory and cognitive thinking skills work perfectly fine. No one in my community was overly concerned about OJ…there was no OJ prize delivered to our homes when the verdict was out.

My grandfather used to cut hair and when I would hang out with him all the men seemed to think he was guiltly. I also remember the general idea that OJ was not one of "us" he wasn't a black man on trial for murder; he was a celebrity...they have a different set of rules therefore there was no reason to rejoice.

I also remember the people who supported OJ through thick and thin and I don't feel they were an accurate representation of the black community. The majority of the people who supported him either had an agenda or were just happy to be on television.
The sickness surrounding the rejoicing of the verdict was that a black man had got away with murder. Historical Context-white men notoriously for decades were found not guilty when they murdered black people-while blacks who were accused of murdering or raping white women were found guilty 99% of the time, although they did not do it. What is good for the goose is good for the gander-unfortunately that is where our mind thoughts were during the OJ trial-not that many blacks liked or gave a hoot about OJ, but he got away with it and that was all that mattered. Anger fueled the blood of others on that day, but in our communities throughout the country we rejoiced knowing damn well that OJ killed that woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies