Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 11:17 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Bill Cosby is my cat, but I do not agree with everything he mentions about our community and the people in them. For one who is in the communities every day working tirelessly for those who are less fortunate, I challenge many of his beliefs-but hey much of what he mentions is true as well. Bill and I will always share a common bond. It is a beautiful thing to not agree on everything. I surely think it is!! Shared meanings do not exist for every topic of discussion regarding black people or any other race.
Lord knows that's true. If I thought like many white people do, I would have to kill myself. Thank the goddesses I have my own brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 11:26 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Lord knows that's true. If I thought like many white people do, I would have to kill myself. Thank the goddesses I have my own brain.
Thank GOD for my own identity Diva360. Not forming a healthy one will produce a foreclosed mind for sure.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:38 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Maybe this is why the black community does not want to listen to Bill Cosby. Is he too white to be a leader to others ?
Have you even heard of Cornell West, Michael Eric Dyson, Skip Gates, Juan Williams,etc............

Why do whites love to mention Bill Cosby...........it just shows that unless you see well known blacks on TV, you have no idea of anything related to blacks......but than again, why would a guy like you be interested in black culture considering you think anything European is superior to anything black.......as you stated earlier.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Thank GOD for my own identity Diva360. Not forming a healthy one will produce a foreclosed mind for sure.
Tell me about it.........it's very clear that many of the white posters are totaly sheltered from the "real world".

Old 12-05-2009, 11:43 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post

Why do whites love to mention Bill Cosby....
They don't know any one else

Old 12-05-2009, 11:54 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I could see that happening; I guess my experience was different because my community (the people I was directly in contact with anyway) didn't view OJ as a black man...he was a celeb...a famous person...a rich person and we all know that once you gain a certain amount of fame & money you somehow become a little less blacker in the US court systems....to quote one of my fave comics
Natalay, I was just repeating what you insulated when you quoted one of your favorite comics. The thing about comedy is there is usually an underlying truth.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:00 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Natalay, I was just repeating what you insulated when you quoted one of your favorite comics. The thing about comedy is there is usually an underlying truth.
No actually what he said was that it was not about race it was about fame...I don't know how you parlayed that into "Bill Cosby being too white"...that's the thing about comedy...when you think about it too hard you miss the whole point of the joke

Old 12-05-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
They don't know any one else
LOL.......

Old 12-06-2009, 05:24 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
In Georgia after WWI, they lynched some poor black veteran simply for wearing his soldier's uniform after he came home. This was seen as "uppity"--he didn't have a change of clothes to change into, in reality.
As a black vet, this infuriates me to no end. I stand in pure awe of my grandfather, who had to deal with some of the most horrendous treatment at the hands of his so-called "brothers-in-arms" while in the army right after the desegregation of the armed forces. Those black men in uniform who were forced to endure a war on two fronts (both abroad and at home) command my utmost respect.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:37 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
I read this thread and I genuinley do wonder how many of you keep the wheels on the bus mentally. I don't cringe when I see a Black person commiting a crime nor do I cringe when I see a white person act racist. They don't reflect my attitudes or behaviors so why should I care weither someone is ignorant enough to lump me in w/ such trash just becuase I share some ethnic heritage.

There's something to be said for becoming the very thing you are against. Most white men I know don't think much about race at all, just a small subset of idiots. Threads like these leave the impression that w/ alot of AA's, everything in life begins and ends w/ race. A very sad and damaging thought process indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies