Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was religion established to control people?
Yes 38 62.30%
No 23 37.70%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:43 PM

26,116 posts, read 48,720,528 times

Advertisements

It wasn't established, at least not in the usual sense that we use the word "establish" but it was a very gradual thing.

It grew out of caveman days where everyone in the village had to work in unison for sheer survival. Anyone who disrupted village life was a threat to the whole village, thus violators were either killed or sent out alone into the wilderness. Those shunned and sent out were soon killed by predators unless they found another tribe or village to take them in. Thus began the basic commandments that all religions have, i.e., do not kill or steal, etc.

Then you get villagers wondering how babies came about, what was death, where do you go when you die, what is that bright thing in the sky, and on and on. The best they could do 25,000 years ago was make up the answers; all of which were nothing but myths and superstitions, which became refined over thousands of years. Eventually the keepers of these answers became the village elders who learned how to work the village to their liking.

The old kings used religion as an adjunct to royal control. Use the village preacher to control the village idiots, i.e., do good things and you'll live forever in a wonderful paradise with the great creator or conversely, do bad things and the great father will have you burn forever in an awful place. Sure. The kings let the preachers keep ten percent of the village output as a cheap bargain to keep the peace. In many cases, the elders/preachers were also judge, jury and executioner of those who got out of line, just as we see to this day in some Islamic areas.

Bottom line is yes, religion is the great controller of human beings, using grandiose promises or threats to keep people in line.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 01:35 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,264,109 times
No, I don't believe religion was established to control people...at least not in the very beginning and in the sense you mean it. When religions first started forming around the world, they were part of the evolution and development of ethics and morality as per the ancient philosophers. It wasn't to control people as much as people just trying to figure out what life and living in a civilized society was all about. It wasn't until centuries later that religion became a tool for the powerful.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:04 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,256,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
No, I don't believe religion was established to control people...at least not in the very beginning and in the sense you mean it. When religions first started forming around the world, they were part of the evolution and development of ethics and morality as per the ancient philosophers. It wasn't to control people as much as people just trying to figure out what life and living in a civilized society was all about. It wasn't until centuries later that religion became a tool for the powerful.
Astrology will always trump religion.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:33 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,050,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Christianity was not established to control people because the message of Jesus Christ and the Disciples in the New Testament runs counter to the interest of the robber baron class. It runs counter to capitalism, the rich, wars and all the things modern day conservatives- that do run America- seem to like.
Try reading it again. Not just the parts your preacher told you to read.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:29 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,755,579 times
Quote:

if you read the thread you will understand the sense I mean it as opposed to guessing incorrectly

Old 12-02-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
if you read the thread you will understand the sense I mean it as opposed to guessing incorrectly
Your orginal question was: Was religion established and continued to control people?

Sorry you don't like my answer but I stand by it. Religion in the beginning was not about control. It was about a spiritual awakening that was happening all over the world as the stories and parables traveled word of mouth and got attributed to different key people who became the cornerstones of our major religions. It wasn't until centuries later that some church leaders (but not all) started using religion to elevate themselves and try to control the masses in the process.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 12-02-2009 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: fleshed out the last sentence

Old 12-02-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Your orginal question was: Was religion established and continued to control people?

Sorry you don't like my answer but I stand by it. Religion in the beginning was not about control. It was about a spiritual awakening that was happening all over the world as the stories and parables traveled word of mouth and got attributed to different key people who became the cornerstones of our major religions. It wasn't until centuries later that some church leaders (but not all) started using religion to elevate themselves and try to control the masses in the process.

read other posts. spiritual awakening has zip to do with organized religion. simply having something around does not constitute the establishment of an organization.

read this too for example...ever adrift summed it up nicely

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post11857260

Old 12-02-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
read other posts. spiritual awakening has zip to do with organized religion. simply having something around does not constitute the establishment of an organization.

read this too for example...ever adrift summed it up nicely

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post11857260
I know that spiritual awaking and organized religion aren't the same. I just took your original question of "was religion established..." more literal than you meant it. If you had said "were churches established...." we would have been on the same page from the start and my answer would have been, yes.

The post you directed me too is interesting and something I already knew about. I wish people who take the Bible so literally understood better how it came about and about all the missing books in the Bible that got censored out at various times in history. In addition to what was written in that post, the Catholic church did a lot of 'creative editing'.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I know that spiritual awaking and organized religion aren't the same. I just took your original question of "was religion established..." more literal than you meant it. If you had said "were churches established...." we would have been on the same page from the start and my answer would have been, yes.

The post you directed me too is interesting and something I already knew about. I wish people who take the Bible so literally understood better how it came about and about all the missing books in the Bible that got censored out at various times in history. In addition to what was written in that post, the Catholic church did a lot of 'creative editing'.

sorry for jumping on you. I am just used to being attacked by fundamentalists on here.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
sorry for jumping on you. I am just used to being attacked by fundamentalists on here.
No problem. I understand completely. Being mistaken for a fundamentalist is the funnest thing that's happened to me in a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies