Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you trust "citizen journalism"?
No, I'd rather get my news from trusted/traditional sources such as CNN, ABC, FOX 2 22.22%
Yes, I believe citizen journalism offers more insight/truth than conventional sources 3 33.33%
I'd hear from both but I'd be inclined to trust conventional sources more 2 22.22%
I only trust select sources of news e.g. NYTimes, WSJ, Economist, Wash Post etc 1 11.11%
I don't trust anything 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 1,907 times

Advertisements

We have all witnessed the power of Twitter Journalism this summer during the Iranian elections. This kind of citizen journalism seems to be gaining popularity. But some consider them to be lacking accountability. What is your view on this? Please share your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 08:16 AM

429 posts, read 1,113,889 times
I say it's a lot better and more honorable than the crap we see on tv nowadays. No spin or anything.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:34 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,621,208 times
Some use the medium to quickly disseminate news events similar to what the op describes in Iran. Others use the medium to disseminate a message that furthers their own personal or movement's agenda. It all falls under the umbrella of free speech. It's all good but people have to be aware of what's factual and what's someone's opinion.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:40 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,871,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerGeniusGod View Post
We have all witnessed the power of Twitter Journalism this summer during the Iranian elections. This kind of citizen journalism seems to be gaining popularity. But some consider them to be lacking accountability. What is your view on this? Please share your opinions.
While agree that citizen journalism can be useful and be a source of information that the MSM do not cover, I also would add be careful believing everything you see. In todays electronic age there are plenty of tools available to manipulate the truth, and either side can and does use them, heck watchin Twitter and UTube it becomes obvious that one needs to absord the "new" they are getting from such sites with a grain of salt. So, while I do like to addition source of information I am also cautious when it comes to believing everything I see without question.
Casper

Old 12-01-2009, 10:44 AM

5,465 posts, read 12,204,366 times
Lame stream media is just that. They don't report facts anymore. They spin everything and spend more time on Tiger Woods and those idiots who crashed the State Dinner than so many IMPORTANT ISSUES we now are facing as a nation. Plus, there is no longer any investigative reporting. Everything is politicized. The only reason the media elite consider citizen reporters lacking credibility is because they feel threatened by them, and as the American public continues to question the media's objectivity and tune them out (their ratings speak for themselves) then so be it. The lame stream media has about as much credibility as the Star or National Enquirer. And they have no one to blame but themselves.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:32 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,871,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Lame stream media is just that. They don't report facts anymore. They spin everything and spend more time on Tiger Woods and those idiots who crashed the State Dinner than so many IMPORTANT ISSUES we now are facing as a nation. Plus, there is no longer any investigative reporting. Everything is politicized. The only reason the media elite consider citizen reporters lacking credibility is because they feel threatened by them, and as the American public continues to question the media's objectivity and tune them out (their ratings speak for themselves) then so be it. The lame stream media has about as much credibility as the Star or National Enquirer. And they have no one to blame but themselves.
Try AP as just one source and see what is there, you can pick and chose what you read.
Casper

Old 12-01-2009, 11:46 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,291,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
While agree that citizen journalism can be useful and be a source of information that the MSM do not cover, I also would add be careful believing everything you see. In todays electronic age there are plenty of tools available to manipulate the truth, and either side can and does use them, heck watchin Twitter and UTube it becomes obvious that one needs to absord the "new" they are getting from such sites with a grain of salt. So, while I do like to addition source of information I am also cautious when it comes to believing everything I see without question.
Casper
X2

I don't do twitter (I find the idea of 144 characters or shorter a mockery to good investigative journalism, and another step away from the "slow thoughts" that are needed for many debates.) But I do sometimes read news from citizen "journalists", I do however agree with Casper, you need to be cautious and separate news from opinions a lot more than with a trusted news distributor.

That said, I wouldn't trust any televised news organization as my only or main bringer of news. Written is always better, it's more thought through and it gives you time to actually analyze what you're taking in.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,907 times
bump

thanks everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies