Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:50 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No, this is what you are reading, evidently, but it's not what I said at all. Perhaps you should brush up on your reading skills.

Every person has prejudices, even you.

There are no perfect candidates. Some people may have voted for Senator Helms because of his stance on abortion. Some people may have voted for Senator Helms because of his positions on defense spending. The world is not one-dimensional, all political candidates come with a range of political positions. I've yet to run across a single political candidate that I've agreed 100%, or even 90%. Voting is about exercising a choice. Sometimes racial issues do not weigh as heavily as other issues when making that choice.

And your implication that all Southerners are racists is an attack. Be careful that you don't get too personal, bless your heart!
I read you just fine but you are obviously trying to rationalize the South re-electing racist Senators. I'm sorry but you can't rationalize that. I think all of us can understand that some sins are worse than others. Most intelligent people can recognize that a person who led the opposition to Black voting rights and Civil rights should not be a leader and hold the most powerful political position in your state. This is why the South is so heavily criticized. Many Southerners don't see racism as an issue that people should have no tolerance for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 11:51 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I know what you meant but it has nothing to do with the point I raised hence the reason I responded in that manner. Why is it that an entire region of the country has a flag that the other regions of the country don't waive.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with it. I just think it's amusing that the South often claims they are the victims of stereotypes yet they waive a flag that encompasses their entire reigion and argue it symbolizes their culture and history. You can't have it both ways. You want to pretend like you are the rest of the country yet you also want to waive a flag symbolizing you are different.
what drugs are you on???????

the south is NO DIFFERENT than anyother REGION of the USA. but they all have their IDENTITIES........
the south has many identities...and the FLAG is part of that......just as a ROCK in plymouth......heck NYC is indentified many times by a USA (not NYC) posession...the Statue OF liberty......given to the USA, not NYC

fact, during the time period of 1860-1865, our country was split, and the flag (most times its not even the confederate states flag (CSA (country) flag) its the battle flag that is seen) is PART OF THAT HISTORY, whether that history is good or bad,,its still part of that history

Old 12-01-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
You mean, kind of like how every state has their own flag?
Right except the Confederacy no longer exists unlike states.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:00 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,277 times
So the goal of this attack on the South, and the OP's attack on the confederate flag, is nothing more than an attempt to do away with all concepts which may or may not be reflected in racism. In the OP's mind, we should rid ourselves of all things (and maybe all people) who are racist.

Funny thing is... he convienelty ignored the post regarding the black panthers.

Fact is, everybody has the RIGHT to be racist if they want to be. You don't live in a world, nor a country, where your percieved rights to political correctness trump others rights to free thinking.

The confederate flag has alot more to do with the right of states to leave the union if they desired to, and less to do with "racism", which at the time was slavery, which is not the same thing.

The ironic part of the whole OP position is this. He wants to demonize the entire southern region of the united states and stereotype them... because he thinks that they are racist, redneck, uneducated people... which at the end of the day is him just bitching about the same thing he is doing.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
what drugs are you on???????

the south is NO DIFFERENT than anyother REGION of the USA. but they all have their IDENTITIES........
the south has many identities...and the FLAG is part of that......just as a ROCK in plymouth......heck NYC is indentified many times by a USA (not NYC) posession...the Statue OF liberty......given to the USA, not NYC

fact, during the time period of 1860-1865, our country was split, and the flag (most times its not even the confederate states flag (CSA (country) flag) its the battle flag that is seen) is PART OF THAT HISTORY, whether that history is good or bad,,its still part of that history
You would be intellectually dishonest if you claimed the South waives that flag out of historical reasons alone. They also waive that flag as a symbol of Southern identity and culture. If it was merely waived out of historical reasons, there wouldn't have been such a fight to maintain it being waived in certain capital buildings especially when there was protest from groups who were offended by it. It means more to the South than you are letting on.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:03 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Quote:
Right except the Confederacy no longer exists unlike states.
Are you saying it's heritage then?

Old 12-01-2009, 12:06 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
You would be intellectually dishonest if you claimed the South waives that flag out of historical reasons alone. They also waive that flag as a symbol of Southern identity and culture. If it was merely waived out of historical reasons, there wouldn't have been such a fight to maintain it being waived in certain capital buildings especially when there was protest from groups who were offended by it. It means more to the South than you are letting on.

you just dont get it.

yes its about identity and culture...just like hamhocks, chitlins, and collard greens (forgive my spelling)....but its also about history....are there some bad things...of course there are, but you take the good with the bad

every region in the US has its IDENTITY and culture...you leave new york and you cant find a good pizza or bagel

Old 12-01-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
So the goal of this attack on the South, and the OP's attack on the confederate flag, is nothing more than an attempt to do away with all concepts which may or may not be reflected in racism. In the OP's mind, we should rid ourselves of all things (and maybe all people) who are racist.

Funny thing is... he convienelty ignored the post regarding the black panthers.

Fact is, everybody has the RIGHT to be racist if they want to be. You don't live in a world, nor a country, where your percieved rights to political correctness trump others rights to free thinking.

The confederate flag has alot more to do with the right of states to leave the union if they desired to, and less to do with "racism", which at the time was slavery, which is not the same thing.

The ironic part of the whole OP position is this. He wants to demonize the entire southern region of the united states and stereotype them... because he thinks that they are racist, redneck, uneducated people... which at the end of the day is him just bitching about the same thing he is doing.
Personally, I could care less if you waive your flag. I'm just amused at the lack of honesty by the South. Again, the South claims they victimized by stereotypes yet they proudly waive a flag that symbolizes their identity...the same identity they claim is a stereotype. I'm just amused that you and other Southerners pretend they are no more bigoted than the rest of the country despite having a strong history and culture that espoused racism. They pretend that none of that impacts them today yet they still feel they connected enough to the confederacy to waive a flag. Go figure!

Old 12-01-2009, 12:09 PM

900 posts, read 672,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
To me, the confederate flag represents states rights. And the south seems to be the only area of the country that ever wanted to make a distinction between states and the federal government. The south would have loved to have won that war, and I think this country would have been better for it. And while slavery would have continued for a few years, I can guarantee you it still would have been abolished. And states would have had historial claim on their own rights. The Confederacy would have maintained the balance of states rights.

Since the Union won, they have laid the groundwork of the destruction of states rights, and a precedence of aggression towards anyone who disagrees. I realize that slavery was wrong, and so are the Islamic fundamentalists, so should we invade every country that doesn't agree with us, and ourselves?
And how can you guarantee that slavery would have been abolished? You mean that after fighting (and in your ideal world, winning) a war to preserve slavery, spending millions of (confederate) dollars and hundreds of thousands of lives, the south would have then turned around and ended it? Yeah, right.

At what point would the south have passed the 14th amendment? Right after freeing all the slaves?

I'm sure your slavery/islamic fundamentalist analogy makes sense to you, but it's another candidate for 'Bad Analogy of the Year' award to me.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
you just dont get it.

yes its about identity and culture...just like hamhocks, chitlins, and collard greens (forgive my spelling)....but its also about history....are there some bad things...of course there are, but you take the good with the bad

every region in the US has its IDENTITY and culture...you leave new york and you cant find a good pizza or bagel
Exactly but racism is also a part of your culture. You and other Southerners don't admit it and pretend you are no more racist than the rest of the country. Even you know that isn't true. Why is it that you can admit some things but not others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies