Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 04:48 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brie85 View Post
I look forward to the day when same-sex marriage occurs in all fifty states. Equal rights for all!
Same here. I know it'll be many years before that happens, but I do think it's especially significant that it's about to become legal in our nation's capital. The symbolism is important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 04:58 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
All of the ones I know are....
Your point?

Old 12-01-2009, 05:00 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Same here. I know it'll be many years before that happens, but I do think it's especially significant that it's about to become legal in our nation's capital. The symbolism is important.
I agree--and did you all know this is the anniversary of Rosa Parks' arrest? Change comes, slowly but surely.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:10 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
It isn't a right, just as I don't have a right to change the meaning of educated to mean stupid because I see so many people educated that are so stupid using my opinion as the basis.

You do not approach solutions by redefining words. It is a very poor approach and misses the entire point of the issue. The issue is legal rights that are not covered by current laws. you approach the laws and have the laws recognize the addition so that it properly provides relevance.

Or... keep trying to hijack a word and keep being disappointed when the people vote it out (as has happened several times already). There comes a time when you realize something isn't working and approach it differently.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.
Because you were born straight, you get to use the word to describe your union, and because someone else was born gay they do not get to use the word. They can pretend to be straight, or lie about it, and use the word in a mock marriage with someone of the opposite sex in which they are unhappy or fraudulent, and morally that is preferrable to being honest and out and "married" to someone of the same sex. Huh, doesn't make much sense to me.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:13 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
A right to redefine a word?

If the gay movement got behind the logic of simple legal rights (civil unions), they might have a bit more success (and some states have). Ignoring the majority and using backdoor tactics to usurp the voice of the people will only make this movement sour for even those who do not have such an opinion on the subject. I know some who were passively supportive, but now are actively against.
Marriage has been redefined several times.

Used to be a time when marriage meant one man to several women. In the Amazon, women may have many husbands.

I just want them to get full recognition. I don't see why the word matters anyways. Lets say they get civil unions. They are still going to say "Bob and Bill are getting MARRIED." They are going to say "Will you MARRY me?" no matter what it is called.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:17 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
There are so many gays in DC (out and closeted) I'm not surprised by this at all.

Yes, one look at that HUGE Washington Monument and ALL the men turn gay!

Old 12-01-2009, 05:32 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,539 times
DC was suprsingly gay and it was also suprisingly open about it, at least the parts I saw when I was there back in October. Open and mixed in with straight folks, and gays and lesbians sharing the same space in at least one place I went.

It was like another world, DC was, compared to Ohio.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:37 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The D.C. Council voted in favor of same-sex marriage on Tuesday, moving Washington, D.C., a big step closer to becoming the first jurisdiction below the Mason-Dixon Line to allow full civil equality for gays and lesbians.

Gay Marriage Poised for Approval in Nation's Capital - ABC News

If Republicans still controlled Congress, I bet they would put a stop to this. (I'm glad they're not in control!)
It is sad, and shameful, that a minority must strive so hard for Equality in a Nation that claims equality as a Founding Principle.

Especially when that Equality is blocked by biblical precepts.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I do not believe that it is the baliwick of government to decide who can or can not get married.
If the g'ment didn't set limitations, a 40 year old man could marry a 12 year old girl, legally and not Compound Marriages like the FLSD in Texas.

Plus, the only benfit from amrriage is legal in anture, over a thousand plus rights and privilages. Ought not the g'ment regulate it's own actions?

Old 12-01-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
No they don't......California voted it down and they are very liberal and it was black liberals that helped to vote it down.
While there are indeed many liberals and Dems who oppose Equality of Marriage (think DOMA, for example), the GOP is certainly hard core about denying that Civil Right to gays.

The GOP is still convinced that the religious right (sic), an insignificant but highly vocal voting block, matters.

Prop 8 did not pass because the black voters spontaniously picked up the anti-equality cause (quite hypocritical, if you ask me), Prop 8 passed due to the millions poured into the "Gathering Storm" propeganda campaign pushed onto Cali from the LDS church in Nevada.

I guess State soveriegnty only applies to government, and not out-of-state people pushing their agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies