Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 07:34 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Yes ... Obama is NOW a wartime president.

Not by choice.
Hahahahahaha!!!! Not by choice. It's Bush's fault. ObamaBush gets a pass on this one too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 07:34 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
What was "my cause"? The mission failed. Get out. Get out now. You're sounding more like Bush everyday. Behold, folks, the effect of ObamaBush apologist syndrome...
Your "cause" ?

Would you care to explain your previous comment?

Old 12-01-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Your "cause" ?

Would you care to explain your previous comment?
No ma'am.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:35 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Obama Approval on Afghanistan, at 35%, Trails Other Issues

Quote:
PRINCETON, NJ -- Americans are far less approving of President Obama's handling of the situation in Afghanistan than they have been in recent months, with 35% currently approving, down from 49% in September and 56% in July.
We know why he used the military tonight as a photo-op and prop, he has no credibility on this issue, what with all his dangerous dithering and waffling.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Hahahahahaha!!!! Not by choice. It's Bush's fault. ObamaBush gets a pass on this one too!
Obama INHERITED the Afghanistan war.

He did not start it.

And as President and Commander In Chief, it is his duty to do whatever is necessary to protect the United States.

And if finishing the war against Al Qaeda is the best way to protect United States citizens, then that is what Obama intends to do.

Don't like it ... run for office.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:39 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,904 times
So are the GOP saying we should pull out of Afganistan now, or wind down now, instead of doing this surge? Help me out here....

Old 12-01-2009, 07:41 PM

I look forward to great innovations our pharmaceutial companies are going to come out with using all of those poppy fields, or the Trans-Afghanistan Pipeline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh silly me...I should pretend to believe in this whole killing Al-Qaeda mission. Let me swallow the blue pill and make my worries go away. Maybe I should've watched ObamaBush tonight.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Obama Approval on Afghanistan, at 35%, Trails Other Issues

We know why he used the military tonight as a photo-op and prop, he has no credibility on this issue, what with all his dangerous dithering and waffling.
Considering the military are the most DIRECTLY AFFECTED by Obama's speech, isn't it appropriate that he be there to tell them ... IN PERSON?

Obama isn't afraid to look at flag drapped caskets.

And Obama isn't afraid to speak face to face with the military about new demands for their service.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:43 PM

450 posts, read 502,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Pretty judgemental in your posts there, uh?

I served four tours in Vietnam for the Us Navy. 1963-1966. I was a FO (Forward Observer), and picked up downed pilots off the coast of N.Vietnam, among other duties. I know Vietnam. I was responsible for starting it.

I don't see the same level of casualties as Vietnam, but I do see a flawed strategy that will eventually own us and bring down the Obama Administration. In Vietnam it was all about unification. In Afghanistan, it's all about being a foreigner on their land and hence, an enemy. You can never defeat that mind set. Nobody ever has. The Afghan war is really a civil war between the Northern Alliance and the Pashtuns. We've sided with the Northern Alliance, which is Karzai. The Pashtuns run the rest of the country and are the Taliban. We will never defeat the Pashtun.
Good response Mohawk and I respect that you served in the Vietnam War but I dont care if you sat down with LBJ himself.
Your assertions are clear that you don't know what you're talking about.
Not only are the casualties no where near as severe (300 US soldiers were dying a week in Vietnam!), neither are the civilian attrocites (massacres, killins, genocides by the viet cong and others), the affect on the US and other countries, etc....

Yes Afghan war is ostensibly an underlying civil war but Vietnam war WAS A CIVIL WAR! And arguably a World War (we were not only fighting against N. Vietnam but many of the other communist nations around the world)

I'm sorry but the Taliban are a high school gang compared to the Viet Cong....not only that we were fighting South Vietnamese, the North Vietnam Army AND The Viet Cong all helped and assisted by China/USSR

Fighting the Taliban is nowhere near as dangerous as all those threats were.

Obama said it best one major MAJOR difference is in Afghanistan these are the ppl who attacked us and continue to plan to attack us, in Vietnam there was no group or government that had attacked us (yes and I am including the debunked Gulf of Tonkin incident).
Many many of Americans and ppl throughout the world totally hated the Vietnam War (recall the 1960s protest?) while our Afghanistan presence is overall supported by the American people and ppl around the world

Again mohawk I respect that you served but I am a war buff and have studied Vietnam War for many years, there isn't much I do not know about the Vietnam War

There are major major differences and levels of warfare between the two (outside of the terrain working against us in both wars I see not one similarity)

And the notion that the War in Afghanistan is anywhere close to Vietnam is beyond up surd!
Afghan War is a snowball fight compared to Vietnam....and I dont mean to use hyperbole here but it is true!

Last edited by y2flyy; 12-01-2009 at 07:55 PM..

Old 12-01-2009, 07:44 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Obama's speech could have been written by Cheney,except for the part where he gave the time line of 18 months.Cheney and other {R}s like McCain say we should stay until success.The million dollar question is what is success?can one of you {R} explain that to me.Does success look like Iraq where we spent 1 trillion dollars and still have over a 100 thousand troops?
I agree with the poster that calls the POTUS Obama/Bush they sure look a lot alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies