Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 01:18 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,295,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The country of Uganda is considering a law that will apply the death penalty to people who engage in acts of homosexuality. Many Republican Christians in this country are in favour of these laws.
One part of the new law states that, not only does it apply to all acts of homosexuality in Uganda itself, whether committed by a foreigner or a citizen BUT the law also applies to ALL citizens of Uganda no matter WHERE they reside in the world. The law says they shall be EXTRADITED to Uganda to face a possible death sentence. So if 2 homosexuals have a rump romp here in the USA and one of them is from Uganda and the government of Uganda request we extradite that homosexual to face possible death, should the United States honour that request?

Uganda considers death sentence for gay sex in bill before parliament | World news | The Guardian
Which particular groups? If you're making an assertion like that, at least back it up with some proof.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 01:24 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,928,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Uganda receives hundreds of millions of dollars in aid from U.S. taxpayers every year. The U.S. should tell Uganda: If you pass the gay death penalty law, you won't get another dime from us.
This is hardly the first human rights violation in that country. Gay sex acts were already illegal and punishable by severe prison sentences. Not to mention they have numerous other human rights violations in Uganda.

If we were going to stop supporting them because of human rights violations, it would have happened a long time ago.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:33 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,526,809 times
Quote:
The country of Uganda is considering a law that will apply the death penalty to people who engage in acts of homosexuality. Many Republican Christians in this country are in favour of these laws.
One part of the new law states that, not only does it apply to all acts of homosexuality in Uganda itself, whether committed by a foreigner or a citizen BUT the law also applies to ALL citizens of Uganda no matter WHERE they reside in the world. The law says they shall be EXTRADITED to Uganda to face a possible death sentence. So if 2 homosexuals have a rump romp here in the USA and one of them is from Uganda and the government of Uganda request we extradite that homosexual to face possible death, should the United States honour that request?

Uganda considers death sentence for gay sex in bill before parliament | World news | The Guardian
So where is your link to a reliable source that says republican christians are favor it also. Thsi si why not many pay attention to what the gay movement says really.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:35 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,951,734 times
Quote:
Ironically, the most famous Americans who would probably like to send gays to the death chambers are Democrats: Fred Phelps and most of his family.

Fred Phelps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fred Phelps and his ilk are NOT Christians.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:35 PM

52,219 posts, read 33,962,855 times
Quote:
Ironically, the most famous Americans who would probably like to send gays to the death chambers are Democrats: Fred Phelps and most of his family.

Fred Phelps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
yes indeed. good point my friend.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:49 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,576,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Fred Phelps and his ilk are NOT Christians.
I think they would disagree with you. Anyone can call himself a Christian. There's no registration involved, as far as I know.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:52 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,741,964 times
I don't think most sane people would allow that in this country.

I realize their is a segment of the population that wants to see all gays eradicated but it will never happen.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:52 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,576,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
This is hardly the first human rights violation in that country. Gay sex acts were already illegal and punishable by severe prison sentences. Not to mention they have numerous other human rights violations in Uganda.

If we were going to stop supporting them because of human rights violations, it would have happened a long time ago.
Well, maybe this time will be different. Who knows. Your argument make sense, but this story is getting attention. I even heard Hillary Clinton on C-SPAN say to some politician from Uganda the other day, "Make sure you vote against that anti-gay law", or something like that.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:54 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,951,734 times
Quote:
I think they would disagree with you. Anyone can call himself a Christian. There's no registration involved, as far as I know.
If a person isn't following the teachings of Christ, then they are not true Christians regardless of what they label themselves. This is like me trying to tell the world that I'm a car; I can call myself that until I'm blue in the face but that will never make me a car (actually, it'll make me delusional but that's another story )

Old 12-02-2009, 01:59 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,541,254 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
I'm all for this. I wish we can enact this law in the USA. Maybe then we would be less of a laughingstock
I was going to call KevK's post ridiculous until I saw this. Are you kidding? I hope so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies