Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 07:04 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,774,901 times

Advertisements

In other countries staying with your parents until you marry is very common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 07:06 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,633,906 times
Depending upon the situation it is either a sound plan or a sign of an immature moocher.
My dh and I plan on staying in our house (even though it will become too large for two people) with the thought that perhaps our children will want to move back home in order to save money to buy a house. After all, the days of buying a nice fixer in a great neighborhood for $42,000 with $5000 down payment are over. And that is sad considering that is we did 16 years ago for our starter home. I don't see the situation improving within the next ten or so years which is when my eldest two will be adults.

Now, if we are talking about a slacker who will not work, will not help out and will not contritube --- then that would be a total loser.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:15 AM

110 posts, read 261,561 times
I don't think that it is wise to generalize those living with their parents. I do believe that financial independence is a worthwhile goal. But I also realize that even responsible, hard-working people can fall on tough times. Consolidating households is beneficial to some families right now, and I don't consider it my place to judge what works for them.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:16 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,586 times
What I'm not seeing here is an acknowledgment that, at least sometimes, it is the parent that needs the help, whether physically or financially (and sometimes both). Take me, for example. Because of physical problems, I can no longer work - at least not at any job that would pay me enough to cover all of my bills. Those same physical problems limit my functionality around the house as well. If I didn't have both a younger cousin and my youngest son living here, paying small amounts of rent, half my bills wouldn't get paid and I wouldn't have food in the house. And I'd have no help with some of the heavier housekeeping chores.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:20 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,633,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
What I'm not seeing here is an acknowledgment that, at least sometimes, it is the parent that needs the help, whether physically or financially (and sometimes both). Take me, for example. Because of physical problems, I can no longer work - at least not at any job that would pay me enough to cover all of my bills. Those same physical problems limit my functionality around the house as well. If I didn't have both a younger cousin and my youngest son living here, paying small amounts of rent, half my bills wouldn't get paid and I wouldn't have food in the house. And I'd have no help with some of the heavier housekeeping chores.
That is a great point. Until yesterday we had my MIL living with us. She moved in after she retired in order to save some money and figure out where she wanted to live, what she wanted to do etc... It worked out rather well, and I am glad that my children were able to experience having grandma living here.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:06 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brie85 View Post
I don't think that it is wise to generalize those living with their parents. I do believe that financial independence is a worthwhile goal. But I also realize that even responsible, hard-working people can fall on tough times. Consolidating households is beneficial to some families right now, and I don't consider it my place to judge what works for them.
Living with your parents and being financially independent are not mutually exclusive.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:08 AM

4,560 posts, read 4,096,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with young people living with their parents. How do we expect them to forge an independent living when there are no jobs out there right now? It's much cheaper to live with your parents. Beats having bad roommates too.

Obama plans to have parents with health insurance able to keep their dependents on their plan up to age 27 (I think). That'll help.

Other cultures do not have any stigma against living with one's parents. And guess what, the whole family saves a lot of money that way. Everybody pulls their weight. It's considered financially prudent and builds stronger family ties. Nobody is ridiculed the way it is here.

Even though our younger generation is not becoming as independent as fast as earlier generations, I think it's a great opportunity to build relationships with parents.

Perhaps this is one of the good things that has come out of the recession. What do you think?

Unless your parents are wackos, it would also take care of being a lonely bachelor(ette)!
and how old were you before you could no longer stand living with your parents?

Old 12-02-2009, 08:26 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,012 times
We are trying to get my FIL to move in with us. He has health issues and lives 2 states away from us. I do not like him very much, and he wouldn't really be able to contribute much to the household, but he is family. I think he is bipolar. He has his good moments and bad moments. Luckily, he is somewhat functional and is mostly of sound mind and does not want to leave his home. He does have a friend who helps him out as well.

If my son were to stay home after he graduates next year I would have no problem with this. He plans on going to college. He will be going to community college to begin with and he wants to get a job. We have been talking to him about renovating the garage so he can have some privacy. His annuity will be kicking in at 18 (he was hit by a car) so he would have some money to pay rent, save, go to school.

My daughter who is 10 plans on living with me forever (will see how this turns out when she is 16.)

Old 12-02-2009, 10:24 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,423,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
In other countries staying with your parents until you marry is very common.
As it was in this country until the '60's. Until then, it was even common for married couples to live with one or the other set of parents until after the first baby was born.

The idea that unmarried adults should live on their own is new with the Baby Boomers.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:04 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You'd only have reason to have no self-respect if you didn't contribute.
If I had money to contribute it would go to rent.

There are exceptions. Nothing wrong with an adult child living with a parent who needs help because of age or health. Nothing wrong with parents helping their kids on an interim basis if there is a divorce or some other unplanned event. My disdain is toward 30 year old kids still who are content to live with mommy forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies