Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:50 AM

10,802 posts, read 14,862,681 times

Advertisements

Everything is wrong with allowing your children to live with you.

First thing it does is stunt their social growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 09:57 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
In fact i'd prefer people take in their parents once they're older and care for them at home. Children and parents assuming the parents got along with their parents would find it beneficial both financially and for the benefit of children considering most families in the middle class are two parent working households. Obviously this is a gross generalization and relies on a number of positive factors between the parents and the children etc but it is a step in the right direction.
Perhaps if we still lived in a culture where multi-generational households were the norm, both parents and children would treat each other with more respect knowing that they would likely be living together for a good part of their lives. Perhaps people would work at getting along with each other instead of everyone thinking s/he and her/his needs must be the dominant factor in the parent/child relationship. The idea that the child will be gone at 18 doesn't lead to much need to believe that either generation has to bother learning to get along with the other. Instead we have the out-at-18-good-riddance mentality. No need for either generation to learn to respect or treat the other as anything more than a parent/teen relationship.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:16 AM

429 posts, read 1,113,119 times
I have a friend who's making an amazing salary, but his parents wanted him to live at home so he could save up money and buy a house at 28. He's two years off from his goal. I don't think it's bad to live at home. It's cheaper and makes a lot of sense.

I wouldn't do it though because my parents wouldn't approve of my "American" behavior haha. Like having my boyfriend over or coming home at 2am after a night of partying. That and I can't stand my dad. ROFL. He's annoying.

I think more people should do it. What happened to all that family value stuff we hear about on the news?

Old 12-03-2009, 10:18 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,067,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

Lol...bulls*t.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:27 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,183,937 times
Quote:

I agree, I want to move in with my kids...

Old 12-03-2009, 10:33 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,287,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I agree, I want to move in with my kids...
I'd bet kids that lived with their parents longer are probably the one's with lower divorce rates?? I'd be interested to see if anyone has a statistic on that, because if you do, your parents are usually almost always right about who you shouldn't marry. They may not know who you should, but they certainly know you and have keen insight into who you shouldn't start a life with.

It's a beneficial thing in my opinion and keeps kids out of stupid reckless mistakes, that they do not always need to learn the hard way.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:36 AM

17,383 posts, read 11,892,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGrad2009 View Post
I have a friend who's making an amazing salary, but his parents wanted him to live at home so he could save up money and buy a house at 28. He's two years off from his goal. I don't think it's bad to live at home. It's cheaper and makes a lot of sense.

I wouldn't do it though because my parents wouldn't approve of my "American" behavior haha. Like having my boyfriend over or coming home at 2am after a night of partying. That and I can't stand my dad. ROFL. He's annoying.

I think more people should do it. What happened to all that family value stuff we hear about on the news?
You're lamenting the disappearance of family value "stuff", but say you can't stand your dad because you have your boyfriend over for sex, and party until 2am. I think it's your dad that has the values, and you could learn a few things from him.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:41 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,183,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
I'd bet kids that lived with their parents longer are probably the one's with lower divorce rates?? I'd be interested to see if anyone has a statistic on that, because if you do, your parents are usually almost always right about who you shouldn't marry. They may not know who you should, but they certainly know you and have keen insight into who you shouldn't start a life with.

It's a beneficial thing in my opinion and keeps kids out of stupid reckless mistakes, that they do not always need to learn the hard way.
I'll go 50/50 on that...LOL...Hint.. I have two grown kids...

Old 12-03-2009, 11:17 AM

507 posts, read 676,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Perhaps if we still lived in a culture where multi-generational households were the norm, both parents and children would treat each other with more respect knowing that they would likely be living together for a good part of their lives. Perhaps people would work at getting along with each other instead of everyone thinking s/he and her/his needs must be the dominant factor in the parent/child relationship. The idea that the child will be gone at 18 doesn't lead to much need to believe that either generation has to bother learning to get along with the other. Instead we have the out-at-18-good-riddance mentality. No need for either generation to learn to respect or treat the other as anything more than a parent/teen relationship.
I agree with this. I grew up in a multi-generational household, and I have already told my mom that I expect her to live with me when she is older. When I moved to another state for my first job, my mom told me flat out that I was always welcome home if I needed to return. With the economy being as bad as it is, it's kind of nice to have that extra security.

Many people in my town thought it was strange that my grandma lived with us, and I believe that kind of felt bad for my mom. The mentality was very much one where people did not expect such things to happen. I think it's kind of a shame. I really benefited from having my grandma around, and I really learned a lot from her. I think it's important for children to venture out, and explore the world on their own (my mom and grandma lived apart for decades), but I also think family is important, and there should not be cultural stigma for families that choose to have a multi-generational makeup.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:40 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,402,347 times
Quote:

Judgemental much? I just wrote a long post saying in essence that each situation is unique it's not a black or white but gray senario. If my mom wouldn't have allowed me back into her home after I was severely injured in an accident, I would have ended up homeless. I'm greatful that she loves me enough to care for me throughout my life, not just until I turn 18. Remember, one day your kids will be looking out after you when you are elderly and need help. I know I will do anything to help my mom when she needs it, it will definetly be rociprocated on my part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies