Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 10:01 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Thinking Americans are alarmed by the parallels between Vietnam and Afghanistan.

Mindless Americans ignore history.

Yup!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 10:03 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Who do you think are going to be the backers of the Taliban and Al Qaeda?

Pakistan? China? Iran? Russia?
You make the mistakes of considering Pakistan and Iran conventional political entities rather than Islamic tribal congomerates, and of anaylzing this conflcit as state-based rather than cultural/tribal warfare.

There are untold millions of supporters of both Al Qaeda and the Taliban within the Muslim world. The former include many Saudis and other sunnis. The latter were, as you may have forgotten, trained and motivated by us, and have the support -- grudging or othe rwise --of large swaths of the indigenous population of Afghanistan itself.

There is no way to "defeat" the guerilla forces of warlords and opium-funded religious fundamentalists, both with broad-based support among the native population, in their own barren backyard, with a conventional army trained to fight European-style tank battles against large masses of similarly-led troops.

Get OUT of Afghanistan NOW. Our country is nearing bankruptcy with this pointless policing of the world on the behalf of drun cartels and titular "allies" who are content to have America shed its blood for their benefit.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:07 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Yup!

Another pointless and masturbatory trip down memory lane.

Please point out the strategic difference between Buish and Obama. Other than pigment.

It's Big O's war now, pal. And any further blood is on his hands.

Change? Phooey.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:20 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,288 times
Quote:
You make the mistakes of considering Pakistan and Iran conventional political entities rather than Islamic tribal congomerates, and of anaylzing this conflcit as state-based rather than cultural/tribal warfare. .
Nah, when there's war, there is opportunity, state-based political entities or not. I'm sure they're all (countries mentioned) jockeying for position whether ideological, principled or for resources and power.

Quote:
There are untold millions of supporters of both Al Qaeda and the Taliban within the Muslim world. The former include many Saudis and other sunnis. The latter were, as you may have forgotten, trained and motivated by us, and have the support -- grudging or othe rwise --of large swaths of the indigenous population of Afghanistan itself.
Nah, i didn't forget who the Taliban were propped up by. I agree, to an extent, that there are a great deal of sympathizers within the Muslim world with respect to Al Qaeda and the Taliban, unfortunately.

Quote:
There is no way to "defeat" the guerilla forces of warlords and opium-funded religious fundamentalists, both with broad-based support among the native population, in their own barren backyard, with a conventional army trained to fight European-style tank battles against large masses of similarly-led troops..
This reminds me of the Imperial British war tactics against "dissents" from Europe, who adopted the Native American style of attack. I find it absurb, sometimes, as to the tactics that are employed over there. Even looking back with Russia's strategy...

Quote:
Get OUT of Afghanistan NOW. Our country is nearing bankruptcy with this pointless policing of the world on the behalf of drun cartels and titular "allies" who are content to have America shed its blood for their benefit.
I agree! But i find it highly ironic that those of right leaning views now suddenly want to "get all domestic". I wonder if the military branch is hamstringing the President politically-wise.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Another pointless and masturbatory trip down memory lane.

Please point out the strategic difference between Buish and Obama. Other than pigment.
I'm surprised you'd need assistance on that point.

Anyway, here goes...

Bush: started two middle east wars

Obama: is left to finish those middle east wars

Quote:
It's Big O's war now, pal. And any further blood is on his hands.

Change? Phooey.
If it wasn't changing, you conservos wouldn't be whining about every move he makes.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:55 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Bush surge = Iraq

Obama surge = Afghanistan

Please indicate that you understand the significant difference.
I understand the significant difference completely: Bush

Old 12-03-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
JimMe, what this should point out to you, is what we see coming out of politicians mouths is well rehearsed drama. They are actors hence why Ronald Regan was such a good President. This stuff is all a joke. It all smoke and mirrors at this point it should be obvious to anyone, but it is still not! This what i don't understand? How people keep falling for this pretend song and dance.

Planned economy the troops are over there until unemployment comes down. Once the Administration and the Federal Reserve decide to increase the money supply they'll be back home.
I think the days of the people putting up with the political song and dance may be coming to an end. The tea parties and town hall meetings suggest that the people are not in the mood to be flim-flammed any longer. Politicians have lost their credibility, just as scientists have lost theirs over the global warming charade. Once credibity is lost it is very hard to recover. Ask Tiger Woods.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
You make the mistakes of considering Pakistan and Iran conventional political entities rather than Islamic tribal congomerates, and of anaylzing this conflcit as state-based rather than cultural/tribal warfare.

There is no way to "defeat" the guerilla forces of warlords and opium-funded religious fundamentalists, both with broad-based support among the native population, in their own barren backyard, with a conventional army trained to fight European-style tank battles against large masses of similarly-led troops.

I agree except that I would stay in Afghanistan long enough to kill or capture Bin Laden. Nobody cared about the Taliban until they provided al Qaeda sanctuary. Our focus ought to be on al Qaeda and when we roll up those dirt bags then we can leave that misbegotten country to Karzid and the Taliban. They deserve each other.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
I understand the significant difference completely: Bush

Please explain. Your concise response doesn't indicate much.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:25 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
Quote:
Hillary is more and more proving herself the equal of her husband in mendaciousness; Obama is more and more acting like an eloquent Bush.

We are in huge trouble with this crew. They are either almost as bad as the previous group, or much worse, since they have had the benefit of hindsight yet feel compelled to repeat the grievous errors of their predecessors.
I love the vocabulary lessons on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies