Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 06:45 PM

7,785 posts, read 7,989,875 times

Advertisements

wait till the gov dont get all that money us self employed used to pay this april. maybe we dont count in the unemployment stats now. last year i paid 9000 $ this year i will pay 0 $ plus get a check as my youngest is 22 and full time student. its gonna be ugly. finally us self employed will be noticed by the gov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 07:05 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,338,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Hey! I do tile. I run into this too. But we are better off being self employed right now.

Go for it guys. Keep doing what your doing, and do it to the best of your ability! That is what will save our country!

I do floors too.

It is bad! There is work out there, but the illegal crews are scarfing up the work, on price alone. Here I am, trying to justify, being 3 times higher in labor cost, just to run a legal business, using American labor.

I guess I'm going to have to live with 10 other guys in a 1 bedroom apartment, not have insurance or a license, and work for less than minimum wages, so I can say I have a job.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:09 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,259,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
You have to work on saying "I'm a people person!" with a Barbie smile like you really believe it.
Haha, oh I used to say I was a people person in every interview I had before this job....god, do I hate people.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:40 PM

37,042 posts, read 41,972,100 times
I'm smart, adaptable, quick to learn, professional and a good multi tasker. I can type 60wpm, I'm a wiz with computers and the internet and know all popular office applications. When I want to know something I research the hell out of it and soon know more about things than the people who's job it is to know. I've even had to tell people how to do their job because apparently they didn't cover it in the training manual. But a 20 year employment gap, an old AA Degree, and being over 50 doesn't get my resume to the top of the pile. I was shocked to realize that I am competing for the same entry level jobs as my kids and their friends who are newly graduated from high school and college. And I'm annoyed because I was actually being offered jobs 10 years ago but wasn't interested in working then. UGGH! But I guess if I had a crystal ball I wouldn't need a job, right?

Old 12-03-2009, 05:55 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,140,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Anyone care to share their woe?
Great, fun thread and we are getting to know each other. I think it is interesting seeing who replies to this and who doesn't..

Thanks for showing us the lighter side of life.

Nita

Old 12-03-2009, 07:45 AM

18,125 posts, read 15,519,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
im a self employed unemployed. bad part is i cant collect . gonna be a lean winter
I'm in the same boat. Not a good time to be involved with building, in any area. I'm no longer totally self employed, actually been working for the last three weeks, and things are starting to look up in the big picture. I took this job, it's OK, but not near what I'm used to in terms of pay, and I got a request from another outfit for my resume'. The position the latter is looking at me for is an inside type, planning and design phase. After 20 years of brutal field work, I can end up using my brain instead of my body to make a living. Sometimes, things work out OK. Other areas in my region don't have anything for anyone. Things have certainly been better around here, but they could be a damn sight worse. In the grand scheme, I feel pretty fortunate.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:24 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,193,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I'm sure I said 22, are you trying to revise history?
So you're 22 with 36 years work experience? You are what every employer is looking for!

Old 12-03-2009, 09:27 AM

817 posts, read 850,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Great. But, do you realize the golden opportunity you have? Start your own business. If you have that kind of knowledge, I'm sure you could make it on your own.

Look. In my "former life" working at a small oceanographic instruments company in San Diego, a lot of engineers who were "laid off" (fired or whathaveyou), next thing you know they were back! Consulting!!!

Take advantage of it. Set yourself up for a profitable future! This is still America! You can do it! Think about it. Please!

Remember: Apple Computer was started by just a couple of regular guys working for Hewlett Packard who messed with computers as a hobby (in a club). They came up with a design they called "the Apple". All their friends wanted one. They put them together as kits. Soon, they were selling them in an electronics hobyist store, Next thing you kinow, Apple Computer was born.

DO IT
That's something I'm considering doing. Been getting quite a few calls the last couple days about some contract work so who knows.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:50 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,122,217 times
Just about everyone knows somebody who unable to find work. I've got several friends who are about to graduate, yet the pickings for work are very slim. Even the job fairs that the school has... few employers are present. One friend is trying to get any job (even janitor) that'll get her foot in the door of a company. Employable doesn't always mean that there is an ample need for the skillset that a person has. A person who can take apart a computer and re-assemble it in less than a half hour is employable - but if there's no need for a systems engineer, there's no job opportunity.

Quote:
So you're 22 with 36 years work experience? You are what every employer is looking for!
On a technicality, if he worked different jobs in different fields with different companies at the same time, it is possible. I've a friend who is notorious for doing this. She currently works as a photographer (2 years), bartender (6 months), car repair retail (a week), hobby-shop retail (4 years, I think), and is a substitute teacher (2 years). This is just her current lineup. She's also got 2 years of being a nanny, shoe salesgirl, retail manager, etc, etc, etc. Add all her different experiences up and VOILA! Her years of work experience are greater than her age.

((Don't ask me how she balances all these jobs and still goes to school.))

Either that or it was a typo on his part.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:43 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,257,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Just about everyone knows somebody who unable to find work. I've got several friends who are about to graduate, yet the pickings for work are very slim. Even the job fairs that the school has... few employers are present. One friend is trying to get any job (even janitor) that'll get her foot in the door of a company. Employable doesn't always mean that there is an ample need for the skillset that a person has. A person who can take apart a computer and re-assemble it in less than a half hour is employable - but if there's no need for a systems engineer, there's no job opportunity.

On a technicality, if he worked different jobs in different fields with different companies at the same time, it is possible. I've a friend who is notorious for doing this. She currently works as a photographer (2 years), bartender (6 months), car repair retail (a week), hobby-shop retail (4 years, I think), and is a substitute teacher (2 years). This is just her current lineup. She's also got 2 years of being a nanny, shoe salesgirl, retail manager, etc, etc, etc. Add all her different experiences up and VOILA! Her years of work experience are greater than her age.

((Don't ask me how she balances all these jobs and still goes to school.))

Either that or it was a typo on his part.
Multi-casting in hyper-quality time and space.

I may have been on holiday for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm6eQ...eature=related
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies