Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 03:33 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,533,221 times

Advertisements

Not to rude or anything. I was born in the North. If my memory serves me correctly. Slaves were welcome in the north and were given opportunities. My family was considered pretty poor back then, but in order to get somewhere in life,we had to work hard. Sometimes it pans out, sometimes it don't. Do I feel there is unfairness still going on, Sure I do, but really it goes on with all colors of people still. Am I going to blame anyone for all my families misfortunes, No it's wasting valuable time. If we all hung on to the past--we can never move forward and an opportunities will pass us by.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:33 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Let us also remember that much of the wealth generated in this country came from the work of slaves who built this country and picked the cotton for years.
Time for a reality check, people of all races have been exploited in this country. These pictures would be from the turn of the century during the industrial revolution. The coal you see is the fuel that powered it.

http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/minres/bmr/historicalminingreports/historicalpictures/images/101aAnthracite%20breaker%20boys-mono.jpg (broken link)

breaker boys - Google Images

Wasn't uncoomon for these kids to be maimed or killed, most probably died by the time they were in their thirties if they lived that long. Any family they had if they died as an adult would end up in very bad situation if there wasn't anyone left to bring home some money. The towns were often owned by the company and they were paid just enough to keep them perpetually in debt which in reality was a form of enslavement as their other choice was to starve. If the father died the common story is the body would be thrown on the porch along with a bill for outstanding debt and an eviction notice.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:38 AM

206 posts, read 571,819 times
I'm sorry but even "whites" have to contend with discrimination in certain parts of America, not to mention the world. One bad apple does not ruin the whole barrel.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:45 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Polite white folks renounce such claims of superiority. But scratch below that surface politeness and the multicultural rhetoric of most white people, and one finds that the assumptions about the superiority of the art, music, culture, politics, and philosophy rooted in white Europe are still very much alive.

No poll can document these kinds of covert opinions, but one hears it in the angry and defensive reaction of white America when non-white people dare to point out that whites have unearned privilege. Watch the resistance from white America when any serious attempt is made to modify school or college curricula to reflect knowledge from other areas and peoples.

That resistance also helps white Americans ignore and/or rationalize the racialized disparities in the distribution of resources.

Funny how Most of Americans largest companies are ran by whites. Not to mention most of Amercas wealth is in the hands of whites.

Studies continue to demonstrate how, on average, whites are more likely than members of racial/ethnic minorities to be on top on measures of wealth and well-being.

Why is that? Oh, maybe minorities just are not smart enough or work hard enough........NOT!

White America....wake up and be honest. You are benefiting from the elite whites invention known as Rascism.
Do you have any idea how racism got started in this country?

White land owners in Virginia, didn't want the African slaves joining forces with the poor white workers to overthrow them. So they started spreading rumors about the slaves, and trying to get the poor whites to dislike the African slaves, more then the land owners.

It was a we are better than them kind of thing, to keep the population in check.

Over time, it just grew and grew.

That was back in the 17th century. What racism there is left today, is still based on that original 17th century model.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:13 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,942 times
Quote:
Polite white folks renounce such claims of superiority. But scratch below that surface politeness and the multicultural rhetoric of most white people, and one finds that the assumptions about the superiority of the art, music, culture, politics, and philosophy rooted in white Europe are still very much alive.

No poll can document these kinds of covert opinions, but one hears it in the angry and defensive reaction of white America when non-white people dare to point out that whites have unearned privilege. Watch the resistance from white America when any serious attempt is made to modify school or college curricula to reflect knowledge from other areas and peoples.

That resistance also helps white Americans ignore and/or rationalize the racialized disparities in the distribution of resources.

Funny how Most of Americans largest companies are ran by whites. Not to mention most of Amercas wealth is in the hands of whites.

Studies continue to demonstrate how, on average, whites are more likely than members of racial/ethnic minorities to be on top on measures of wealth and well-being.

Why is that? Oh, maybe minorities just are not smart enough or work hard enough........NOT!

White America....wake up and be honest. You are benefiting from the elite whites invention known as Rascism.
I happen to think that white European art, music, culture, politics, and philosophy is superior to that of blacks. I'd be interested in hearing any examples you have supporting any argument that this is not the case. But that doesn't really matter. You are black and you think black art, music, culture, politics, and philosophy is superior. That's ok. I think that's wonderful and I have no problem with that whatsoever.

What do you mean by ". . . racialized disparities in the distribution of resources"? What do you even mean by 'resources'? Do you mean 'wealth'? Wealth is not is not distributed except by charity or social programs. Welath is created by producers.

Most of America's largest companies are run by whites because whites started/created most American companies i.e. Microsoft, HP, UPS, etc. Blacks do run some of these companies but most of the people in America are white. So how many blacks should run America's largest companies? Fifty percent? Twelve percent? Even if the number of blacks who run America's largest companies was representative of their numbers in the population, whites would still run 'most' of them.

Would it occur to you that maybe there are many more whites than blacks qualified to run major corporations? Why has everything got to boil down to racism? I'm white and I have been passed over for jobs, I have been passed over for promotions and I have been fired from more than one job. Was that racism? Maybe I just wasn't a good fit, wasn't qualified enough or didn't work hard enough.

The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of peope who get passed up for jobs or promotions or get fired, it's due to a lack of competence and not racism. Racism may be the reason for a small fraction of failure but certainly not the vast majority of it.

- Reel

Old 12-04-2009, 05:09 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,354 times
For the Breaker Boys Comment -No reality check needed because the subject matter is about black people and white racism on this thread, feel free to start a new thread that speaks to this part of history if you must-but currently your information is not what we are speaking to at this time.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:14 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:

Here is the thing, racism, wheteher it comes from whites or people of color of BS IMO. The thoughts expressed here while containing some factual information is incorrect in it's claims. One suggestion, stop judging others based on the color of their skin, it is an ignorant thing at best and racist at it's core. Stop blaming others for the failures individuals or groups as a whole, especially when doing so based on halftruths and assumptions. As for waking up, I would suggest the poster take their own advice. Enough time wasted on this, moving on.
Casper

Old 12-04-2009, 05:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
For the Breaker Boys Comment -No reality check needed because the subject matter is about black people and white racism on this thread, feel free to start a new thread that speaks to this part of history if you must-but currently your information is not what we are speaking to at this time.

Is that the typical "I can say it because I'm black and my race has been victimized by whites" mentality? If you want to inject something into a discussion be prepared to defend it. It was you that made the statement not me. People of all races including whites have been exploited by rich men and that is just a fact.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:41 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:

Why is this administration and unions denying poor black kids a decent education? The white president didn't do that.

Democrats Condemn Kids to Ignorance and Poverty | Republican Liberty Caucus (http://www.rlc.org/2009/05/15/democrats-condemn-kids-to-ignorance-and-poverty/ - broken link)

Education Secretary Arne Duncan's Two Opposing Views on School Vouchers - WSJ.com

Old 12-04-2009, 05:48 AM

639 posts, read 1,142,954 times
Throwing the word "racism" around doesn't nearly have the effect it once did. America used to duck and run when someone threw that word around. Even when it wasn't true, and in the majority of cases it is not, people still ran and hid. Not in today's America my friends. We have elected a black President (could not have done so without the "white" vote), have a black Attorney General, black head football coaches, blacks at every level of society who have achieved success because of hard work and education. America is tired of the "It's because I'm this" or "It's because I'm that"...racism, on all sides of the spectrum, from all races, is horrible and still goes on today but it no longer makes people run for cover because more often than not it is plain old bullshyte and utilized for covering the indadequacies of someone at work etc, etc, etc, etc........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies