Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 05:31 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,177,754 times

Advertisements

Reelist...........I DO NOT THINK anyone's culture is superior to another. I certainly don't think black art, music, culture, politics, and philosophy is superior to that of whites. Everyone has something of value to offer and I'll accept it as it comes.

What you and many whites do not like to admit is the LEGACY of Jim Crow and slavery still exists and that LEGACY is how many whites benefit. Sure there are many more whites in the country than blacks, so that means there should be more whites running companies than blacks? Does that really make sense?

If that's the case going by blacks being 13% of the US population that means 65 of the Fortune 500 companies should be ran by a black CEO. Correct?

That's not the case. Only 2 CEO's are black. If you're saying MANY whites are qualified, please explain to me why MANY MORE whites get those opportunities?

I am not Racist or a Bigot at all but I will say I have worked for some dumb white folks and it was clear that they got there jobs for no reason other than being white. That's because the image these companies want to promote is largely white and therefore having a black manger is not apart the plan. IF you believe situations like this don't exist you're fooling yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
I happen to think that white European art, music, culture, politics, and philosophy is superior to that of blacks. I'd be interested in hearing any examples you have supporting any argument that this is not the case. But that doesn't really matter. You are black and you think black art, music, culture, politics, and philosophy is superior. That's ok. I think that's wonderful and I have no problem with that whatsoever.

What do you mean by ". . . racialized disparities in the distribution of resources"? What do you even mean by 'resources'? Do you mean 'wealth'? Wealth is not is not distributed except by charity or social programs. Welath is created by producers.

Most of America's largest companies are run by whites because whites started/created most American companies i.e. Microsoft, HP, UPS, etc. Blacks do run some of these companies but most of the people in America are white. So how many blacks should run America's largest companies? Fifty percent? Twelve percent? Even if the number of blacks who run America's largest companies was representative of their numbers in the population, whites would still run 'most' of them.

Would it occur to you that maybe there are many more whites than blacks qualified to run major corporations? Why has everything got to boil down to racism? I'm white and I have been passed over for jobs, I have been passed over for promotions and I have been fired from more than one job. Was that racism? Maybe I just wasn't a good fit, wasn't qualified enough or didn't work hard enough.

The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of peope who get passed up for jobs or promotions or get fired, it's due to a lack of competence and not racism. Racism may be the reason for a small fraction of failure but certainly not the vast majority of it.

- Reel

Last edited by Ron.; 12-04-2009 at 05:55 PM..

Old 12-04-2009, 05:52 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,660,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phychedelic View Post
Even the founders of rock admit they were influenced by the blues.
Not only this, but also Motown. When the Beatles and the Who first started playing in British clubs, they covered Motown songs. That is what they were listening to. Most popular musical genres in the U.S., it seems to me, can be traced back to what working class kids could both play and get their hands on. So blues, jazz, country, rap, bluegrass, folk--all share one thing in common. Their founding instruments are relatively cheap and relatively portable. Radio, recording devices, and amplification changed everything.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:51 PM

433 posts, read 261,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
It really has nothing to do with color, it has to do low class blacks immoral culture acting like idiots. Also: you don't have to have money to have class.

If it has nothing to do with color why did you mention Blacks?

Old 12-04-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I've noticed this, too, dcsldcd. I have yet to see one single, solitary word of appreciation expressed by anyone here on CD (and rarely anywhere else) for the thousands upon thousands of Union soldiers who died or were left crippled as a result of their Civil War service. And where's the gratitude for the sacrifices made by countless other whites over the past 150 years on behalf of blacks? Whites were out there, too, in the 1960's marching right along side them. Some were murdered for their activities. Does anyone even remember their names? We know the names Martin Luther King, Medger Evers, Malcolm X. How many people remember the names Michael Schwernerm, Andrew Goodman, Viola Luizzo?

A little gratitude would go a long way!!!

Perhaps because the people who really do not believe in race inequality would see no reason to "thank the white guy". We are ALL human beings, in this case we are ALL Americans. Nor would the white people who fought for them expect a thank you. It was about freedom for all human beings period. It wasn't about black and white except to those who wanted to keep slavery.

I mean why haven't the southerners offered thanks to the slaves they forced to fight for them?

Old 12-04-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
But in a larger sense, we all lose because of this endemic racism.

How much genius in the minority populations has gone to waste due to lack of opportunity?

Maybe the future researcher who might have developed a cure for some horrible disease had to settle for being a cab driver. Maybe an engineer who could have made a breakthrough in computing technology spent his life as a clerk.

Racism isn't only wrong, it's damaging to the larger society as a whole.

So very very true, but too many people live under this disillusion that everyone has the same opportunities for education and life.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't buy into the lack of opportunity either, the only thing lacking is the will to seize the opportunity. There's always one key factor you hear of the black kid that crawled his way out of the ghetto and is now successful, he/she had an adult that took on the responsibility of making sure that kid was going to succeed.
Well first off not all kids have that adult to guide them.

Secondly the money spent on public education is over 3 to 1 in favor or wealthy areas over poor areas and the teachers in poor areas are much more likely to have less experience and be less specialized.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:10 PM

844 posts, read 1,279,944 times
GRRRR!

"Its not black race thats inferior, its black culture, so its not racist when I say black culture is inferior and in antitheses to white culture...and it just happens to be that black culture is directly tied to their race!"

Sure you guys. Real logical.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:16 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Polite white folks renounce such claims of superiority. But scratch below that surface politeness and the multicultural rhetoric of most white people, and one finds that the assumptions about the superiority of the art, music, culture, politics, and philosophy rooted in white Europe are still very much alive.

No poll can document these kinds of covert opinions, but one hears it in the angry and defensive reaction of white America when non-white people dare to point out that whites have unearned privilege. Watch the resistance from white America when any serious attempt is made to modify school or college curricula to reflect knowledge from other areas and peoples.

That resistance also helps white Americans ignore and/or rationalize the racialized disparities in the distribution of resources.

Funny how Most of Americans largest companies are ran by whites. Not to mention most of Amercas wealth is in the hands of whites.

Studies continue to demonstrate how, on average, whites are more likely than members of racial/ethnic minorities to be on top on measures of wealth and well-being.

Why is that? Oh, maybe minorities just are not smart enough or work hard enough........NOT!

White America....wake up and be honest. You are benefiting from the elite whites invention known as Rascism.

Nothing will hold you down or prevent you from pursuing your goals, except self pity and blame. Yeah, the "white man" kept me down too. But I did not complain and ***** like a little girl. I worked hard, educated myself and succeeded. This is very possible and likely in America today. YOU are preventing your own success and liberalism has brainwashed you into believing that it is not your personal failure, but the constraints of society, that has prevented you from achieving your goals. Wake up, take personal responsibility, work hard, and you will do well. Play the liberal blame game and you will be an angry failure. It is your choice.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-05-2009 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 12-04-2009, 10:17 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,550,516 times
Quote:
Polite white folks renounce such claims of superiority. But scratch below that surface politeness and the multicultural rhetoric of most white people, and one finds that the assumptions about the superiority of the art, music, culture, politics, and philosophy rooted in white Europe are still very much alive.

No poll can document these kinds of covert opinions, but one hears it in the angry and defensive reaction of white America when non-white people dare to point out that whites have unearned privilege. Watch the resistance from white America when any serious attempt is made to modify school or college curricula to reflect knowledge from other areas and peoples.

That resistance also helps white Americans ignore and/or rationalize the racialized disparities in the distribution of resources.

Funny how Most of Americans largest companies are ran by whites. Not to mention most of Amercas wealth is in the hands of whites.

Studies continue to demonstrate how, on average, whites are more likely than members of racial/ethnic minorities to be on top on measures of wealth and well-being.

Why is that? Oh, maybe minorities just are not smart enough or work hard enough........NOT!

White America....wake up and be honest. You are benefiting from the elite whites invention known as Rascism.
I admit that Ron has serious issues with white people

Old 12-04-2009, 10:17 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,991,955 times
Quote:
Reelist...........I DO NOT THINK anyone's culture is superior to another. I certainly don't think black art, music, culture, politics, and philosophy is superior to that of whites. Everyone has something of value to offer and I'll accept it as it comes.

What you and many whites do not like to admit is the LEGACY of Jim Crow and slavery still exists and that LEGACY is how many whites benefit. Sure there are many more whites in the country than blacks, so that means there should be more whites running companies than blacks? Does that really make sense?

If that's the case going by blacks being 13% of the US population that means 65 of the Fortune 500 companies should be ran by a black CEO. Correct?

That's not the case. Only 2 CEO's are black. If you're saying MANY whites are qualified, please explain to me why MANY MORE whites get those opportunities?

I am not Racist or a Bigot at all but I will say I have worked for some dumb white folks and it was clear that they got there jobs for no reason other than being white. That's because the image these companies want to promote is largely white and therefore having a black manger is not apart the plan. IF you believe situations like this don't exist you're fooling yourself.
I agree with you 100%. Many of the white managers that i have worked for were not qualified and only got there b/c of their whiteness and other whites helping each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.