Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:21 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,472,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
The energy should be directed atadapting to any climate change that might occur as part of natural evolution.
Altering consumption patterns is just such an adaptation, is it not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 06:28 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,248,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I keep trying to figure out which they are using these days so this link really tickled me. The article starts out talking about global warming and then shifts to climate change. At any rate, it is typical MSM garbage about all the adapting we must do before climate change takes things over. A long list of the money needed to make the necessary adaptations and what some places have done, already, is near the end of the article. I hope not too many of these people are disappointed when they find that they have spent so much money unnecessarily.

Global warming may require higher dams, stilts - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091204/ap_on_sc/sci_climate_adapting - broken link)
I believe this is all about life cycles...and the earth, odd as it may sound, has life cycles that not even man can fix...but the afix a word to it like Global Warming, thinking that they can force people to try and save our world. There are some things that man cannot fix and that is weather...if an earth quake, or tidel wave is going to happen, man cannot stop it...if there is another huge volcano erups, like Yellowstone, there is nothing we can do to stop it?

If you look back in the history of the earth, you would realize, the ice age, the cooler climates even when we were kids, the intensity of cold weather and snow then? Sheesh, doesn't anyone study history? Do you even realize the extreme climate changes that have effected our earth in the past? It's cycles and strange as it may seem, man will not live forever.

We're constantly under threat by meteors hitting us...we're way over populated...and yes, climates are changing...the desserts are growing (shock) and water is running out...in many countries...can man do anything to turn this around? I think not, if an earthquake is going to take down the whole east coast, there is nothing anyone can do about it. If the ice caps are melting, and seas are rising the only thing we can do is adapt or die, period. But stop it... I think not.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:19 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,463,266 times
No one is proposing that we will ever be able to intervene in the grand cycles of global climate. The ice sheets will one day return. We are in an inter-glacial period. That is, a period in between two periods of glaciation. For a while, there was some evidence that the period between glaciations might be shrinking and that the ice might be back before we thought. But further research has suggested that this is likely not the case. Still, at some point, all of Canada and the northern half of the US will again be buried under 50 feet of ice or so. We will have to adapt or die.

In the meantime, what people are saying is that global climate is being affected more and more severely not by the effects of natural cycles but by the effects of billions of people. With extarordinarily rapid increases in our numbers and our technology, we have become a variable in the equations whose favorable solution is necessary to our own survival. Air and water were taught as being "free goods" in economics courses less than a century ago because that is what they were at the time. You could use up all of them you wanted, and there would still be much, much more to draw from. That is no longer the case. Clean air and clean water have since become both scarce and expensive. It is a sign of the times. There is no turning back at this pont. We will either begin to accept the responsibilities that we now bear or we will perish. All those in favor of perishing, please raise your hand. Hmmm...not very many. The alternative is to start reducing (no, not eliminating) the strains that all of us put on the planet so that whatever its natural cycles may have in store for us, we are not creating an additional one-way overlay cycle that goes much further and much faster than any of these natural ones do. We have developed the capacity to poison the planet. We need to develop a capacity not to.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:50 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
I keep trying to figure out which they are using these days so this link really tickled me. The article starts out talking about global warming and then shifts to climate change. At any rate, it is typical MSM garbage about all the adapting we must do before climate change takes things over. A long list of the money needed to make the necessary adaptations and what some places have done, already, is near the end of the article. I hope not too many of these people are disappointed when they find that they have spent so much money unnecessarily.

Global warming may require higher dams, stilts - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091204/ap_on_sc/sci_climate_adapting - broken link)
It's the same thing Roy. Don't be confused.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:59 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
All those in favor of perishing, please raise your hand. Hmmm...not very many.
Laughably irrelevant, since the Chinese and Indians are exempt from existing and proposed protocols. And that's a whole lotta missing hands.

It's dandruff on your shoulder, McNugget. Not the sky.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:02 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,251,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Altering consumption patterns is just such an adaptation, is it not?
Would this be like flying all those private jets into Copenhagen? Sure those people bought their carbon credits from reputable sources.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It's the same thing Roy. Don't be confused.
It is the warming that has caused my part of the world to cool down, year round? I read a post back there away that mentioned how much warmer it is than when we were children. When I was one of those back in the early 1940s we expected and knew that we would have many days in summer that went over 100 up to about 110 nearly every day in summer. Now we have to wait till August for the one or two 100 days we have.

My favorite summer came about the end of the global cooling period that some of the present warmers used to use to frighten us with. We had our first 100 day in mid-May and then lived with 100+ every day of June.

I think that too many people don't notice the fact that the weather in the southwest and the midwest in the US is so heavily dependent on el nino and el nina in the Pacific. We can forecast by the temperatures in that part of the oceans in summer.

Stick Algore and his bunch on a stick and let them slow cook on all that warming.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
It is the warming that has caused my part of the world to cool down, year round? I read a post back there away that mentioned how much warmer it is than when we were children. When I was one of those back in the early 1940s we expected and knew that we would have many days in summer that went over 100 up to about 110 nearly every day in summer. Now we have to wait till August for the one or two 100 days we have.

My favorite summer came about the end of the global cooling period that some of the present warmers used to use to frighten us with. We had our first 100 day in mid-May and then lived with 100+ every day of June.

I think that too many people don't notice the fact that the weather in the southwest and the midwest in the US is so heavily dependent on el nino and el nina in the Pacific. We can forecast by the temperatures in that part of the oceans in summer.

Stick Algore and his bunch on a stick and let them slow cook on all that warming.

That's funny Roy. Couple of years ago you told an opposite story. You said there have been a lot more 100 degree days each year than when you were growing up.

Looks like you changed your story so it would be in sync with the party line? That's a sad thing Roy.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

That's funny Roy. Couple of years ago you told an opposite story. You said there have been a lot more 100 degree days each year than when you were growing up.

Looks like you changed your story so it would be in sync with the party line? That's a sad thing Roy.
I will have to see some proof of your twisted words before I can allow you to spread those lies here. Could you provide some proof of what you claim? No? I didn't think so. Mr. Twist and Turn you should have kept out of that place you just stepped in.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I will have to see some proof of your twisted words before I can allow you to spread those lies here. Could you provide some proof of what you claim? No? I didn't think so. Mr. Twist and Turn you should have kept out of that place you just stepped in.
You can ask your friend Kestrel for the proof. We have talked about this before in the past and although you have said you didn't believe in man made global warming, you did say that the climate is warming as a part of a natural cycle, and that there has been more 100+ days in Kansas than in the past. This is what you said, but of course you could not have known your party was going to jump from "natural cycle warming" to "cooling" in a matter of two years. I am not making this up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies