Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 12:41 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,660,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Exclusive: Beck’s movie bombs in New York, Boston — and Washington, D.C. | Raw Story (http://rawstory.com/2009/12/glenn-beck-christmas-sweater-movie-flops-big-cities/ - broken link)
This is too funny, but you know it will only fuel mistrust of so called "urban elites." People vote with their feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 12:42 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Huh? Beck who?

Old 12-05-2009, 12:42 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
keep in folks ... less than 30% of the American people have college educations ...

I had to check the link because i wasn't sure if you meant Beck the musician, at which point, i'd be bummed if his movie bombed.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:23 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,520 times
First, let me say that I am not a Glenn Beck watcher. I have seen his show a few times but I'm not a regular viewer, nor do I listen to his radio show or read his books. I'm not anti-Beck...I'm just doing other stuff when his show is on (3 pm in Denver).

That being said, I AM skeptical of so-called news agencies that try and find a little moments of "gotchas" or "in-your-faces" just because someone doesn't agree with the opinion of what has become the main-stream media trying to shove their ideals down everyone's throats. It's coming back to bite them in the butts, by the way.

So...the theater was empty when Glenn's movie premiered?!?! Say it isn't so! How can that be? The horror! What a burn! Hmmm...let me Google a few facts for myself instead of taking it off a spoon from someone with an axe to grind.

From the website, "TV by the Numbers" (which tracks television viewers )..."Last night Glenn Beck had over 3 million viewers at 5pm. Even though Beck airs before primetime, when there are fewer people watching TV, he had the most 25-54 viewers in the cable news world for the night."

From the website of "Talkers Magazine" (a trade industry publication related to talk radio in the United States), Glenn Beck's radio program is the third-most-listened-to radio program in the United States."

From The New York Times and their best sellers list: "He is one of the few authors to hit #1 on the New York Times New York Times Bestseller List in three separate categories: Hardcover Non-Fiction (Arguing with Idiots and An Inconvenient Book), Paperback Non-Fiction (Common Sense), and Hardcover Fiction (The Christmas Sweater). The Christmas Sweater was published by Simon and Shuster in 2008, was #1 on the New York Times Bestseller List, and remained on the list for 17 weeks."

Perhaps the viewers and listeners of his show don't feel like shelling out $8 just for a movie ticket (not including drinks and popcorn). That doesn't change the fact that the more people hate him, the more popular he becomes.

From Forbes magazine: "In June 2009, estimators calculated Beck's earnings over the previous 12 months at $23 million, with 2009-2010 revenues on track to be even higher." Not bad for an overweight Mormon guy without a higher education.

And you are laughing about an empty movie theater? He continues to be a very popular, very rich man, despite an empty movie theater (which by the way means nothing as I went to see "New Moon" on Monday at the 11:00 show and I was one of about 15 people in the theater. If that were my only point of reference, I'd think the movie wasn't doing well). The only people who lost money were the movie promoters and the theater owners. Somehow I'm sure they'll recover.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:31 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
oooh look, its another duplicate "I hate Beck thread"...

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-big-flop.html

Old 12-05-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Glenn Beck shares his thoughts on 'The Christmas Sweater' theater simulcast (watch)

Thursday night was the national simulcast featuring Glenn Beck live on stage

LIVE, LIVE, LIVE.. Do you get it now? He was LIVE for 2 hours 15 minutes.. NOT a MOVIE..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km75-...layer_embedded#
Isn't something that is filmed and broadcast in theaters kind of a movie? Or should we call it a filmed live simulcast soliloquy? Would that be better?

Old 12-05-2009, 03:22 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Isn't something that is filmed and broadcast in theaters kind of a movie? Or should we call it a filmed live simulcast soliloquy? Would that be better?
Its NOT FILMED and then broadcast in movies, its LIVE.. Its like watching LIVE tv.. guy sitting in the news studio, and then projected onto your home TV, isnt a movie.. ITS LIVE..

It was recorded at the time, thereby it WILL be a movie (during the rebroadcast on the 10th), but the LIVE performance was not a movie..

Old 12-05-2009, 03:26 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I was thinking of a different Beck and didn't even know he had made a movie. But it's only Glenn.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:22 PM

10 posts, read 15,335 times
John the Baptist wasn't very popular either. Neither was Noah before the Flood. I say let things fall apart and prove him right or improve and prove him wrong.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Its NOT FILMED and then broadcast in movies, its LIVE.. Its like watching LIVE tv.. guy sitting in the news studio, and then projected onto your home TV, isnt a movie.. ITS LIVE..

It was recorded at the time, thereby it WILL be a movie (during the rebroadcast on the 10th), but the LIVE performance was not a movie..
I guess you didn't like the alternative term I proposed, which was, according to what you've written here, both descriptive and accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies