Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 11:05 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Well at least you can look up Capitalism: A Love Story on Box Office Mojo to confirm that that piece of left-wing pablum was a box office bomb.
Not that I've much use for Michael Moore, but Capitalism had twice the domestic gross (14M, vs. 7M for Carol). Carol had a production budget of 20 million - Capitalism is unlikely to have reached half that. Or, in simpler terms, one movie made money and one didn't. The market can be such a b.tch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 07:42 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Not that I've much use for Michael Moore, but Capitalism had twice the domestic gross (14M, vs. 7M for Carol). Carol had a production budget of 20 million - Capitalism is unlikely to have reached half that. Or, in simpler terms, one movie made money and one didn't. The market can be such a b.tch.
I hate to be the one to point out the obvious.. If the movie by Moore, only grossed $14M, then its most likely it was not profitable due to advertising and distribution costs, which can far outweigh the cost of production. Moore most likely didnt lose though on the deal, he often doesnt keep the distribution rights, and sells them off to guarantee him a profit before production begins.

Last edited by pghquest; 12-06-2009 at 07:55 AM..

Old 12-06-2009, 07:51 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Its NOT FILMED and then broadcast in movies, its LIVE.. Its like watching LIVE tv.. guy sitting in the news studio, and then projected onto your home TV, isnt a movie.. ITS LIVE..

It was recorded at the time, thereby it WILL be a movie (during the rebroadcast on the 10th), but the LIVE performance was not a movie..

Maybe it wasn't filmed.

But it was a flop.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Maybe it wasn't filmed.

But it was a flop.
How do you know? Are you aware the costs and income? Please provide them to me for review, I'd be curious to see some evidence of the facts rather than just someones opinion from people on a forum who dont have a clue but like to makeup information as they go along..

Old 12-06-2009, 08:13 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
How do you know?
This.

"In New York, Beck sold 17 tickets. In Boston, another 17. And in Washington, D.C., the hotbed of political activism, his tearful film drew only 30."

That's a flop in any language.

Quote:
Are you aware the costs and income?
Nope.

You?

Quote:
Please provide them to me for review, I'd be curious to see some evidence of the facts rather than just someones opinion from people on a forum who dont have a clue but like to makeup information as they go along..
You're the one all wrapped around Beck's axle. If you want those figures, go look for 'em, pal. Good hunting. And it's so touching that Beck would use this blessed holiday season to lighten the wallets of his followers.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:27 AM

366 posts, read 297,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Running time: 2hr 15 min

Cast: Glenn Beck
Produced by:
Directed by:
Written by:
Running time: 2hr 15min
Opens: Dec 03, 2009 Limited
You need to give it up. You lost THAT argument.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
This.

"In New York, Beck sold 17 tickets. In Boston, another 17. And in Washington, D.C., the hotbed of political activism, his tearful film drew only 30."
Which shows how you guys place things on emotion, rather than figures.

It probably cost Beck around $200-$300 to rent out each theater, which means that at 10-15 he breaks even. One could easily assume that Beck would have received a volume discount due to the number of theaters rented out.

The figures from the story show 17/30, meaning each show would have been profitable AT $340-$600 in revenues..

Considering some movie theater pricing structures, (i.e. $10 per person cost from Island Cinemas : Mastic Movie Theater - Birthday Parties) this would mean that Beck would profit $10 per seat, and this is before any special discounts are negotiated due to volume pricing etc. Tell me how $10 profit * 17 per theater * 500 theaters = "flop" because that would equate to at least $85,000 profit for one evening, and this is at the VERY low end, since other theaters had 30 etc..
Quote:
Nope.

You?
So you dont have a clue by your own admission?
Quote:
You're the one all wrapped around Beck's axle. If you want those figures, go look for 'em, pal. Good hunting. And it's so touching that Beck would use this blessed holiday season to lighten the wallets of his followers.
Ahh, I'm the one simply pointing out that you dont have a clue, now by your own admission. I did not make any claims as to its success or failures because I cant vouch for the numbers in attendance, (I wasnt there), nor can I vouch for any profit/losses because I havent seen them and they wont be available online because these are private numbers and not available to the public. Common sense would dictate that its profitable, or he wouldnt do them time after time.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:35 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,061,575 times
Why would anyone go pay money to go to a Glen Beck movie when he is on TV almost every freaking day. Who the heck goes to any movies anymore for that matter ?

Old 12-06-2009, 08:38 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Source: Exclusive: Beck’s movie bombs in New York, Boston — and Washington, D.C. | Raw Story (http://rawstory.com/2009/12/glenn-beck-christmas-sweater-movie-flops-big-cities/ - broken link)

He should stick to the one thing he is good at; smoking crack and going off on insane rants.
Not for anything but his audience isn't in big liberal cities.

And on a personal note, I never see a movie in the theater or on an airplane, if I think I will cry. I call it the Meryl Streep movie factor.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:44 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,525,338 times
Talking OK, you "win"

Quote:
Originally Posted by free_food View Post
You need to give it up. You lost THAT argument.

Please refer to post #93 in this very thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies