Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 07:37 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,447,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2flyy View Post
But SIGN in Reagan's 1st term he disagreed with your philsophy, HE implemented MORE Government intervention and MORE Government spending to deal with the issues in the U.S.
His party lost in the mid term elections in his 2nd year (just as you are predicted Obama will)

So again why was it was great for Reagan but you think Obama will DESTROY AMERICA doing the same thing Reagan did!

I don't get it....
Obama and Reagan are polar opposites in their beliefs on government.

Obama's Reagan Comparison Sparks Debate | 44 | washingtonpost.com

The only real comparison between the two is that our country is looking for something to change to. What that change will be is not yet understood and only time will tell. If he achieves great things he will be elected like Reagan was with the biggest landslide in American history. But if he goes against what the people want to implement ideological ideas then he will go down with the other ideological presidents and wait to see if retrospect will be more kind to his presidency.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ge1984.svg.png
United States presidential election, 1984 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 07:46 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,317,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Obama and Reagan are polar opposites in their beliefs on government.

Obama's Reagan Comparison Sparks Debate | 44 | washingtonpost.com

The only real comparison between the two is that our country is looking for something to change to. What that change will be is not yet understood and only time will tell. If he achieves great things he will be elected like Reagan was with the biggest landslide in American history. But if he goes against what the people want to implement ideological ideas then he will go down with the other ideological presidents and wait to see if retrospect will be more kind to his presidency.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ge1984.svg.png
United States presidential election, 1984 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Their BELIEFS many have been different, but their ACTIONS have a LOT in common - particularly in their approach to stimulating the economy. BOTH intituted major tax cuts, BOTH practiced deficit spending by the government to kick start the economy, BOTH increased the size of the government as a result, and BOTH have been (in the case of Obama are going to be) successful at turning the economy around - and getting EASILY re-elected.

Ken

Old 12-05-2009, 07:53 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,952,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Their BELIEFS many have been different, but their ACTIONS have a LOT in common - particularly in their approach to stimulating the economy. BOTH intituted major tax cuts, BOTH practiced deficit spending by the government to kick start the economy,

Quote:
BOTH increased the size of the government as a result, and BOTH have been (in the case of Obama are going to be) successful at turning the economy around - and getting EASILY re-elected.

Ken
It's good to be optimistic!

When YOUR'E WRONG.......will you still be?!

Old 12-05-2009, 08:10 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,317,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sign View Post
It's good to be optimistic!

When YOUR'E WRONG.......will you still be?!
I'm not wrong. I've been saying since April that the economy was beginning to recovery - when it first became clear that the index of Leading Economic Indicators (the LEI) - that measuringment which is the primary tool which economists use to predict the future direction of the economy - began showing the individual indicators starting to move positive. As each month went by more and more of those indicators moved from the red into the black and it became increasing clear that the economy was moving towards recovery. All along the way, the ignorant Obamabashers like yourself simply refused to believe it - but you know what? It really doesn't matter whether they believed it or not, it was happening anyway and now we're at the point where the massive jobs cuts that first started 2 years ago are ending and hiring will resume in the spring (if not before).

This in turn will ease the fears of those folks still working (but have been reluctant to spend the money they've been saving (saving rates are UP you know)) and thus consumer confidence will rebound and this final piece needed for full economic recovery will fall into place. The result will be a pretty robust economic recovery and a sharp rise in Obama's approval rating (Presidents are ALWAYS judged but the performance of the economy) and by the time of the next Presidential election he will once again be riding high and will be EASILY re-elected.

It's the same pattern Reagan went through - only HIS approval rating dropped to 10 points lower than Obama's has. It IS true that Obama COULD drop lower yet and thus get closer to Reagan's low - but once the economic recovery REALLY takes hold (which it will do VERY SOON) that's really unlikely to happen. I think Obama is either at or very, very close to the low point in his approval ratings. Throughout next year those ratings should improve substantially.

Ken

Old 12-05-2009, 08:25 AM

Economic Indicators.gov

Old 12-05-2009, 08:28 AM

Default For anyone interested

Presidential Popularity Over Time

Presidential Popularity Over Time

It's not 10% higher but 1% if you go by the The American Presidency Project. At least using Dec. of the first year of the Presidency comparing Obama and Reagan.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:15 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
I don't remember Ronald Reagan trying to manage my life (what I put in my mouth, what kind of car I drive, what lightbulbs I use, what kind of healthcare I get, how cold/warm I keep my home, when I turn on my dishwasher) or control communications.

I don't remember Ronald Reagan being squirrelly about US military might (star wars).

I don't remember Ronald Reagan apologizing for the US or talking bad about it or trying to become the Emperor of the Globe.

I don't remember Ronald Reagan deliberately trying to create a nation of freeloaders (well except for two of his kids). I seem to remember him encouraging people to be successful and make a lot of money. I don't remember him firing CEOs, running car companies and deciding people's pay.

I don't remember Ronald Reagan deliberately surrounding himself with Commies, Mao lovers, tax evaders, and former criminals to advise him or associating with people who bombed government buildings or racists who said, "G-D America!" but I could be forgetting someone.

They both had male ballet dancers in the White House. You forgot that one.

I really couldn't stand Nancy Reagan and he messed up big time with illegal immigration.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:17 AM

111 posts, read 265,632 times
The problem is that when you compare two real life people like Reagan and Obama, you miss the general question and get into a debate about how alike or different Reagan and Obama are. The better way to ask it is if someone becomes president and he is either a moderate republican or a conservative democrat (not saying Reagan and Obama meet or do not meet these definitions, that's besides the point) and does the same thing either way, will that affect the way that people think of him.

Unfortunately, I think the answer is yes, for some people. People get so hung up on this party is good and that one is bad, that they can't divorce themselves from party affiliation when considering what an individual does. My MIL is like that. If a politician is Democrat, they must be the anti-christ. If a politician is Republican, they must be great. People will naturally lean one way or another, but I think it's too bad some people are so polarized that they can't see shades of grey.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:03 AM

450 posts, read 502,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdcon View Post
The problem is that when you compare two real life people like Reagan and Obama, you miss the general question and get into a debate about how alike or different Reagan and Obama are. The better way to ask it is if someone becomes president and he is either a moderate republican or a conservative democrat (not saying Reagan and Obama meet or do not meet these definitions, that's besides the point) and does the same thing either way, will that affect the way that people think of him.

Unfortunately, I think the answer is yes, for some people. People get so hung up on this party is good and that one is bad, that they can't divorce themselves from party affiliation when considering what an individual does. My MIL is like that. If a politician is Democrat, they must be the anti-christ. If a politician is Republican, they must be great. People will naturally lean one way or another, but I think it's too bad some people are so polarized that they can't see shades of grey.
Excellent point GDCON!
I was thinking that every single President was either hated by the opposing party or hated by BOTH

Obama-hated by republicans
GW Bush-hated by democrats
Clinton-hated by republicans
HW Bush-Hated by democrats
Reagan-Hated by democrats
Carter-hated by Republicans
Ford-everyone hated him but b/c of the pardon of Nixon
Nixon-democrats hated him, repubs stood by him until watergate
LBJ-everyone hated him
JFK-Republicans hated him
Eisenhower-Everyone loved him
Truman-Everyone hated him
FDR-Republicans hated him

I don't know about you all but I see a trend, maybe that is the answer to my question. The hate on Obama may be a trend in American history....

Old 12-05-2009, 01:13 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,398,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sign View Post
This MUST be it!

So, IF race is what you believe it must be.....what color was Richard Nixon who many people also bashed and finally sought to IMPEACH because of HIS crooked ways?
WHAT color again?

Say it!

Narrowminded and TYPICAL Lib. thinking on your part. Keep on going back to the race card if it makes you feel better.
I DON'T care what color any POTUS happens to be!
IF they are found to be lying to the people, corrupt or with an agenda that is completely unconstitutional, perhaps........then that POTUS, despite their race......IS A LOSER in many people's minds and nothing they do will ever matter from that point on.
Is this too difficult for your itty, bitty mind to accept?
Yeah, I thought so.

Go back to inciting racism as the culprit.......it makes you look increasingly pathetic and suspect.
Your credibility is non-existent and the SOS is really old now.
Nixon was a crook, he broke the law, he resigned from the Presidency because of THAT fact. He didn't get "bashed" for being Nixon as Obama is getting "bashed" for being Obama.

Got to be the dumbest comparison yet.

Paaa-Leez don't insult me with some ACORN or other association to compare with breaking and entering into the Democratic National Committee's National Headquarters and subsequent cover up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies