Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:49 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times

Advertisements

I can't say this is for every place that has been gentrified, but it's definitely the case for where I am.

In my consistent observations, every single time I venture out into these "gentrified" places, the feeling of unease from whites and "acceptable minorities" always conjures up in subtle ways. Whether through their uninviting looks, grabbing their purse instantly, or a person squeezing the hand of their BF/GF, the subtle racist observations I've made have been consistent. As for the cliques that are usually apparent in gentrified places, whether it's the hip/trendy coffee shop, a live play at a local theater, or just almost any group home, the only groups of individuals I see are whites with a sprinkle of Asians and Indians.

From reading the past thread "Celebrating Diversity and white liberals," that pretty much sums up the observations I've seen of the hypocrisy I've noticed with the people who have move to places that were gentrified from slums where most minorities were beforehand. The real pathetic part is that the Latinos and Blacks whose skin color is the only thing that "ethnic" about them get the same - if not worse treatment - than the lower class and stereotypical members of their race from these "liberal" gentrification dwellers. I'm not defending the people who lived there beforehand (they've made their own kind of hellholes, but that's for another thread), but I thought most forms of segregation and prejudice were in the form of "classism" instead "racism" as many people especially liberals like to proclaim. I know there are many people who are still racist in this country, but many of them tend to move AWAY from minorities, NOT to them! I don't really care anymore of "if this occurs" because people ARE waking up to smell the coffee. I just want some answers!

I'm also finding an ironic observations to this as well, at least for the metropolitan area I live in: There are places that still have the crowd of liberal/yuppie/hipster people who would seem fit to abide in a gentrified neighborhood but live in places where minorities, especially poor minorities, have never been a significant part of the population. But in these places, I ALWAYS notice a LOT MORE racial integration and affability between everyone and a LOT LESS racial segregation and strife in general. If anyone wants to tell me how this works as well, feel free to.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:08 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
It has nothing to do with race, it does have something to do with income. I have yet to find anyone person (save on very expressive one) that gave a crap if the person next door was white, brown, red, blue or green with tentacles popping out. They did care the neighborhood was safe, good schools, and quiet. People aren't going to move to an unsafe neighborhood just because it's "diverse", and it's not going to stop people from moving into one. Doubtful some one is going to move to a poor area with bars on the windows when they can afford to live a place where that is not the case..low housing values are not set because of random number generator.

Calling people racists for wishing to live in a safe atmosphere is just going to perpetuate the problem, making every issue into a race issue and people just leave the situation. If you see people do unconscious racist things "everywhere" you go...I would look inward first before outwards.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:11 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
I really can't speak with any authority on the subject but what tells you it's racism? I'm not denying that it could be, I really don't know. If a person is racist, would they not seek another place to live? Is it possible that they have moved into an area that used to be a high crime area, and may still be higher than average, and are still a little nervous about that?

Old 12-04-2009, 01:13 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Come on, are you naive enough to believe that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
It has nothing to do with race, it does have something to do with income. I have yet to find anyone person (save on very expressive one) that gave a crap if the person next door was white, brown, red, blue or green with tentacles popping out. They did care the neighborhood was safe, good schools, and quiet. People aren't going to move to an unsafe neighborhood just because it's "diverse", and it's not going to stop people from moving into one. Doubtful some one is going to move to a poor area with bars on the windows when they can afford to live a place where that is not the case..low housing values are not set because of random number generator.

Calling people racists for wishing to live in a safe atmosphere is just going to perpetuate the problem, making every issue into a race issue and people just leave the situation. If you see people do unconscious racist things "everywhere" you go...I would look inward first before outwards.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:05 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post

So you've never been to where I am. Let me make this clear:

-Most of the neighborhoods that are gentrified tend to be somewhat unsafe. Despite of that, there are a whole host of people who are moving to these gentrifying neighborhoods for the "urban/cultural" feel of it.

-I never said people were racist for wanting to live in safe neighborhoods. I mentioned that these gentrifying places (that aren't the safest neighborhoods any) tend to only accept a certain kind of people, regardless if the socioeconomic standing or education of the "historically uncool" minority is equivalent to that of the majority.

-I'm not one to seek out racism from everywhere. As I indicated, I have seen areas that are integrated and don't have any subtle racial strife.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:30 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
Because gentrification is a white thing.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:41 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Why do gentrified places attract the most racist of whites/Asians?

Because, gentrified areas allow the economically challenged White elite (and a few Asians) to buy houses/townhouses/condos in areas which are charming and that have houses with great architectural features yet are "infested" with the Blacks and the Browns (not the upscale, college-educated kind but the blue-collar type)

The PBS documentary Flag Wars is a great example of just how ruthless (and yes, racist) the White gay community can be when they have decided to gentrify an area.

POV - Flag Wars | PBS

Last edited by calipoppy; 12-04-2009 at 04:18 PM..

Old 12-04-2009, 06:12 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I really don't care who my neighbors are as long as they are polite, classy, and don't annoy me.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:17 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I really don't care who my neighbors are as long as they are polite, classy, and don't annoy me.
This has nothing to do with YOU...........

The OP is asking a question about Why Gentrified places attract the most racist whites/Asians?

Old 12-04-2009, 07:09 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I can't say this is for every place that has been gentrified, but it's definitely the case for where I am.

In my consistent observations, every single time I venture out into these "gentrified" places, the feeling of unease from whites and "acceptable minorities" always conjures up in subtle ways. Whether through their uninviting looks, grabbing their purse instantly, or a person squeezing the hand of their BF/GF, the subtle racist observations I've made have been consistent. As for the cliques that are usually apparent in gentrified places, whether it's the hip/trendy coffee shop, a live play at a local theater, or just almost any group home, the only groups of individuals I see are whites with a sprinkle of Asians and Indians.

From reading the past thread "Celebrating Diversity and white liberals," that pretty much sums up the observations I've seen of the hypocrisy I've noticed with the people who have move to places that were gentrified from slums where most minorities were beforehand. The real pathetic part is that the Latinos and Blacks whose skin color is the only thing that "ethnic" about them get the same - if not worse treatment - than the lower class and stereotypical members of their race from these "liberal" gentrification dwellers. I'm not defending the people who lived there beforehand (they've made their own kind of hellholes, but that's for another thread), but I thought most forms of segregation and prejudice were in the form of "classism" instead "racism" as many people especially liberals like to proclaim. I know there are many people who are still racist in this country, but many of them tend to move AWAY from minorities, NOT to them! I don't really care anymore of "if this occurs" because people ARE waking up to smell the coffee. I just want some answers!

I'm also finding an ironic observations to this as well, at least for the metropolitan area I live in: There are places that still have the crowd of liberal/yuppie/hipster people who would seem fit to abide in a gentrified neighborhood but live in places where minorities, especially poor minorities, have never been a significant part of the population. But in these places, I ALWAYS notice a LOT MORE racial integration and affability between everyone and a LOT LESS racial segregation and strife in general. If anyone wants to tell me how this works as well, feel free to.
These are usually people who have lead sheltered lives, reality ,even people who grasp reality, frightens them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies