Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 10:35 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Politicians are welcome to do what they think they need to do to get votes. Putting "God" onto coins and such is all political.

But when you start to suggest that we as a nation "dedicate" ourselves to "God", that to me suggests something else entirely.

The Constitution was and is a secular document. And for VERY good reason.

Now show me a link that suggests "God" is part of "Nations Public Policy" for this country.
People seem to think the extremely fundamentalist Christian undertones in our culture in the 1950s was how the founders intended things to be. What people today don't realize is that this was simply a 50s phenomenon, mostly in response to the Cold War and the majorly atheist Soviets. In my opinion, the 50s that conservatives want so desperately to return to were only the "good ole days" if you were white, male, protestant, and had money. For everyone else, they were not good times at all. Its amazing in this day and age to see younger people promoting the "glory days" of the 50s even though they weren't alive during that time and had no idea what life was really like. It wasn't all Andy Griffith and June Cleaver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 10:36 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The Lord wasn't in charge when evils such as slavery and segregation existed and woman were denied basic rights. Those atrocities were the result of sinful men just as all the atrocities that occured throughout history. Men who engaged in these atrocities while using the Lord's name were hypocrites who only played lip service to being Christian to put it mildly.
What were their sins, exactly, according to scripture?

They sound to me to have been the true believers.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:28 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Hint: There is a God
I don't quite understand what you're saying as it regards my post.

Unless you're saying that there hasn't ever been a time when bad things haven't happened because there IS a god.....?????

Old 12-07-2009, 10:48 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
How do you abandon anything "vehemently" in 3rd grade? LOL

I could see you abandoning homework on occasion. Or possibly abandoning your baseball glove in favor of your football. But "vehemently" abandoning religion at that age? lol

Sounds a little far-fetched to me. The seeds of doubt may have been planted, but i'd wager that you didn't vehemently abandon religion until well past third grade. Who on this earth is comfortable with a decision they made at 9 years old?
Well, they couldn't prove anything to me when I asked them specific questions. I had already a sense that their rituals were hollow and that the people telling me I had to believe in certain things didn't actually believe them themselves. It was all "for show", all a gimmick to get money, to put us through repetitive motions to wear out our resistance. It didn't work on me! They never really applied Christianity to the here and now where it mattered most. It didn't make sense. They might has well have been telling me Fractured Fairy Tales. Finally, when the large nun squeezed her hefty frame down the pew and slapped the hymnal from my hands because it wasn't like everyone else's, I knew it was over for me.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:03 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So you're saying that the "Lord" hasn't been in charge since humans first walked the earth since horrible things have happened throughout history...........if not, please give one example of a time in history when nothing bad happened.

Hint: There is none.
This is due to the sinful nature of humanity.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
well it needs saying by my gosh what a messenger.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
What were their sins, exactly, according to scripture?

They sound to me to have been the true believers.
In order for a person to have their sins "washed away", they have to believe that Jesus is the Son of God who died on the cross for their sins, accept Him into their heart and repent (turn) from their sins. Of course, Christians do mess up and make mistakes as they still have the sinful nature but there is a process of growth that takes place in a believer where God helps them live more righteously.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Well, they couldn't prove anything to me when I asked them specific questions. I had already a sense that their rituals were hollow and that the people telling me I had to believe in certain things didn't actually believe them themselves. It was all "for show", all a gimmick to get money, to put us through repetitive motions to wear out our resistance. It didn't work on me! They never really applied Christianity to the here and now where it mattered most. It didn't make sense. They might has well have been telling me Fractured Fairy Tales. Finally, when the large nun squeezed her hefty frame down the pew and slapped the hymnal from my hands because it wasn't like everyone else's, I knew it was over for me.
I never cared for the ritualistic Catholic church. For me, being a Christian is not about empty rituals but it is about a living, breathing relationship with my creator which is so awesome.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:12 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
I would need to be permanently drugged in order to dedicate myself to God. Heavy doses of hallucinogens would probably be required.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:55 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
I never understood when Christians said that they were in a relationship with their "Creator". That just seems so silly and childish. Much more so than two men wanting to marry and live a productive partnership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I never cared for the ritualistic Catholic church. For me, being a Christian is not about empty rituals but it is about a living, breathing relationship with my creator which is so awesome.
That's the part of the brain that Christians are missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I would need to be permanently drugged in order to dedicate myself to God. Heavy doses of hallucinogens would probably be required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies