Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 09:23 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I live in Boston which, along with the NYC area, contains pretty much the vast majority of American Jewry and trust me when I say that Jews most definitely adorn their yards and communities with Hannukah symbols. Plastic and otherwise. Certainly not to the extent that Christians do but they do.
Maybe so, but I write from my own observations and I have never seen garrish displays for the holiday. I live close to quite a few Orthodox Jewish communities and they most definitely do not have more than a Menorah in the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 09:26 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,884,646 times
Oh please don't encourage Jews to sue -- that is so counterproductive and especially over something so silly.

My question would be for the Fire Dept. What's up? Why did the Fire Dept choose this schedule? Maybe they don't know any better and thought they were being nice. Maybe this has nothing whatsoever to do with the Christians in the town. Were there actually any Jews who made a formal request to put up their menorrah for 8 days and were they denied? I have a feeling this was all a well intentioned gesture based on lack of knowledge about the holiday of Chanukkah. In any event, I would prefer the Christian leaders to go to the Jewish leaders and say "what would be appropriate to respect your holiday?" and then go to the Fire Dept and say "is there a reason why this was done in this way?" Start with asking questions, assuming the other person's innocence.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:38 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,550,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Oh please don't encourage Jews to sue -- that is so counterproductive and especially over something so silly.

My question would be for the Fire Dept. What's up? Why did the Fire Dept choose this schedule? Maybe they don't know any better and thought they were being nice. Maybe this has nothing whatsoever to do with the Christians in the town. Were there actually any Jews who made a formal request to put up their menorrah for 8 days and were they denied? I have a feeling this was all a well intentioned gesture based on lack of knowledge about the holiday of Chanukkah. In any event, I would prefer the Christian leaders to go to the Jewish leaders and say "what would be appropriate to respect your holiday?" and then go to the Fire Dept and say "is there a reason why this was done in this way?" Start with asking questions, assuming the other person's innocence.
Maybe the Dept. is comprised of 28 Christians and 1 Jew

Old 12-05-2009, 09:39 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Before there weren't so many issues between religions as there ar right now.

We have our yard decorated with lights and had in thepast a Christmas tree with no religious signs (just because the kids liked it) and it was beautiful...and also we have for 7 days a Menorah lighted so we celebrated Chrismakah!:)

You are kidding right? In the whole history of the world's religions you claim it's worse now?!

Um, oh yeah and you're Jewish and yet you don't know how many days/nights Hanukah is?!?

Old 12-05-2009, 09:41 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post

Read the OP link, it's "North Andover officials" making the Jewish holiday decision, not the fire department.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:42 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
It's not the Christians who have turned Christmas into a 6 week festival. It's the retail trade promoting sales.

As far as the Firemen go, I say let them also say a prayer every time they go on a fire call if that's what they elect to observe.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:45 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
first off the menorah is an eight (8) day thing

second christmas (the day) is only one day

third...in THAT FIREHOUSE, how many people are jewish..if any.....

FACTS are that the firehouse, will do what the PEOPLE of the firehouse want,,,especially if it is a VOLUNTEER firehouse

FACTS are that the christmas SEASON starts the day after thanksgiving.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:09 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
first off the menorah is an eight (8) day thing

second christmas (the day) is only one day

third...in THAT FIREHOUSE, how many people are jewish..if any.....

FACTS are that the firehouse, will do what the PEOPLE of the firehouse want,,,especially if it is a VOLUNTEER firehouse

FACTS are that the christmas SEASON starts the day after thanksgiving.
Exactly!
If the jakes want to wish people a merry Christmas then let them.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:43 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,394,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Before there weren't so many issues between religions as there ar right now.

Over here the school can't use the word "Christmas break" anymore due to Muslims having complained and now it is called "winter break"...

As a Jewish person I never had any issues with Christmas Break since more people are Christians than Jewish or having any other religion and it is kind of a tradition...

We have our yard decorated with lights and had in thepast a Christmas tree with no religious signs (just because the kids liked it) and it was beautiful...and also we have for 7 days a Menorah lighted so we celebrated Chrismakah!
7 days for the menorah? What happened to the eighth day? Why are you shorting chaunakah one day?

I don't think you are Jewish. Your post is too "off" for you to carry that exhalted moniker.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:23 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,174 times
The East Islip Public Library in NY last year did not have a single "holiday tree" yet had a Menaorah on the front check out desk as well as the reference desk. EI is predominantly christian yet no rioting or lawsuits. Amazing, guess people were too busy reading to give a hoot what was were. Amazing things happen when you have a life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies