Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:14 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

"Communist-group founder on team influencing environmental policies"

"Jones is one of 20 advisers to the University of Colorado–based Presidential Climate Action Project, or PCAP, which draws up climate-policy recommendations for the White House and has been working with members of the Obama administration."

White House still listening to Van Jones 'green' advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 10:16 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,576 times
Did Senator McCarthy rise from the grave, or is it that anyone (or specific group) Glen Beck doesnt like is a communist? If so, I guess that makes me and 56% of americans communist.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:26 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Did Senator McCarthy rise from the grave, or is it that anyone (or specific group) Glen Beck doesnt like is a communist? If so, I guess that makes me and 56% of americans communist.
Glenn Beck is a self-proclaimed cry-baby, fat-head.
Van Jones is a self-proclaimed communist.
Good deflection from the OP, Saul

Answer to OP: Yes
He just got pushed off the payroll

Old 12-05-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
Glenn Beck is a self-proclaimed cry-baby, fat-head.
Van Jones is a self-proclaimed communist.
Good deflection from the OP, Saul

Answer to OP: Yes
He just got pushed off the payroll
Citation of Van Jones claimng to be a communist? Without it, what you are saying is hearsay.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:09 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,169 times
Quote:
Citation of Van Jones claimng to be a communist? Without it, what you are saying is hearsay.
Is Wiki a good enough source for you?

Van Jones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
In October 2005 Jones said he was "a rowdy nationalist"[15] before the King verdict was announced, but that by August of that year (1992) he was a communist.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:21 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Yes, the Van Jones flash-mob achieved nothing more than getting his title and office address changed. He is still working on a multiude of environmental issues and still providing advice and counsel to the President and his administration. So is Tom Dacshle, by the way, so right-wingers can go ahead and stew on that one, too...

Old 12-06-2009, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
Is Wiki a good enough source for you?

Dude, you cite 'wikipedia' as proof? You are aware that wikipedia is the publically modified (therefore worthless) encyclopedia?

You may as well quote the onion.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:42 AM

103 posts, read 118,462 times
As I recall, the quote was something about going to jail a radical and coming out a communist; from meeting all the radicals when he was in jail turned him into a communist.

Sorry, no link. Just what I remember from TV; I think he might have said it in some speech that was youtubed. I don't remember.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:35 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Dude, you cite 'wikipedia' as proof? You are aware that wikipedia is the publically modified (therefore worthless) encyclopedia? You may as well quote the onion.
The problem with Wikipedia is its variability. Crap can get in there alright and it can take a while for it to be edited out. The crap however has usually been flagged to indicate that the article in its current state has been questioned. That describes the margins. The vast bulk of Wikipedia is actually as accurate and reliable as any other reference source and more so than many. The footnotes in particular can be valuable leads into doing a much broader review of sources and information.

And that is the problem with the link to Wikipedia provided. The article includes only a few words extracted from a much larger context. That's the sort of thing that a complete partisan waste and political hack such as Glenn Beck might do. The quote itself comes from a 2005 profile of Jones that appeared in the East Bay Express, a Village Voice-like alternative weekly newspaper in the Oakland/East Bay/SF area. Reading the whole article puts the quote in a rather different light from what the senseless right-wing screamers have tried to shine on it...

The New Face of Environmentalism

Old 12-06-2009, 06:59 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Don't take my word, take his. There's a reason why people are calling him a "self-avowed Communist."

Jones told the East Bay Express in 2005 after the Rodney King verdicts:

"I was a rowdy nationalist on April 28th [1992], and then the verdicts came down on April 29th. By August, I was a communist. (...) I met all these young radical people of color – I mean really radical: communists and anarchists. And it was, like, 'This is what I need to be a part of.' I spent the next ten years of my life working with a lot of those people I met in jail, trying to be a revolutionary."

Did you really think he resigned his czar job because it was discovered he called Republicans some bad names?

MinnPost - Bachmann is right (about a White House czar with a communist past)

Czar's 'communist manifesto' scrubbed from Net

"When he graduated from law school, Jones gave up plans to take a job in Washington, D.C., and moved to San Francisco instead.[15] He got involved with Standing Together to Organize a Revolutionary Movement (STORM), a group explicitly committed to revolutionary Marxist politics[19] whose points of unity were revolutionary democracy, revolutionary feminism, revolutionary internationalism, the central role of the working class, urban Marxism, and Third World Communism."

He really isn't in the closet over what he is. He's been pretty upfront about it, if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies