Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is marriage sacred?
Yes 58 41.73%
No 81 58.27%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 11:52 AM

817 posts, read 853,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I honestly don't think so. Look at our divorce rates. Fifty one percent. Dang. That is over HALF the marriages in this country.

It is not about love anymore as it is about tax breaks. That is the only reason I think I would get married. Don't get me wrong, I love the one who I am with but we can be together and in love without getting married. You don't need to be in love to get married. But I want the tax breaks when we eventually decide to settle.

I actually know someone who married their friend just for tax cuts and they are getting it.

I don't think marriage is sacred or necessary anymore.
I was married. I didn't get any tax cuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 12:20 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
I honestly don't think so. Look at our divorce rates. Fifty one percent. Dang. That is over HALF the marriages in this country.

It is not about love anymore as it is about tax breaks. That is the only reason I think I would get married. Don't get me wrong, I love the one who I am with but we can be together and in love without getting married. You don't need to be in love to get married. But I want the tax breaks when we eventually decide to settle.

I actually know someone who married their friend just for tax cuts and they are getting it.

I don't think marriage is sacred or necessary anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
There is nothing sacred about marriage at all. It's an instrument of secular society that many religions have incorporated into their list of rituals as a means of providing a feel-good confirmation and communal recognition for the decisions of members, even those of the most obviously mismatched couples.

The divorce rate of 50% commonly bandied about is inaccurate and misleading, but the actual chance of eventual divorce in a first marriage is significant enough that each partner should take care to establish and maintain a capacity for self-sufficiency. It's worth bearing in mind that it isn't only divorce that can put you in sudden need of that. That said, the rough odds of a first marriage ending in divorce are 20% within 5 years, 30% within 10 years, and 40% within 15 years. Things slow down after that. The average first marriage ending in divorce does so after about 11 years.

These numbers however are signficantly skewed by the absolutely horrible record of groups such as those who marry in their teens and those who marry when the woman is already pregnant. These are basically crash-and-burn scenarios. If on the other hand, prospective partners are at least 25 years of age, have at least some college education, have a combined income of at least $50K, do not have a baby either before or within one year of marriage, have some form of common religious belief, and come themselves from intact families, the odds of a first marriage ending in divorce fall dramatically. The biggies in this list are the income, baby, and age factors. Meeting just those three would cut the risk of divorce about in half. Meeting the others as well would cut it by about three-quarters. So this is not a one-size-fits-all sort of thing. Divorce does not occur randomly, so there is no single rate that will apply to everyone.
Quote:

You have no idea how passionate I am for gay rights and allowing them the right to the benefits of marriage. Tax breaks, visitation and all.

I did not vote,

I think the LEGAL (ie a STATE paper) is not sacred....I think the COMMITMENT between 2 people is

I actually said this same thing yesterday, and I got slammed

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ect-gay-7.html

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hektic View Post
Really sad news honestly, guess I'll have to wait longer to marry my boyfriend where I live now. I had hope it would pass honestly but should have known better when I saw EVERY republican not support it and then some Dems.. NY recognizes marriage from say CT or Mass but you do NOT get all the legal benefits. :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and that is the whole issue.

why should we 'allow' you to marry, when the only thing you are interested in is the marriage BENEFIT, ie the money,, the gay marriage issue is about greed.

if you love him/her then marriage would not be an issue,, just live together since its supposed to be about love....not greed

and the funny thing is AnUnidentifiedMale WHO VOTED NOT SACRED: replyed to my post with this:.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Oh, this is rich. We've got some people who are against same-sex marriage who say, "I'm in favor of civil unions because they include all of the benefits of marriage." And then we've got other people who want to cast it in a light of greed.

In order to agree with workingclasshero's logic, we should eliminate all marriages and civil unions for all couples because "it's supposed to be about love". In other words, if you want to get married - whatever your orientation may be - you're really doing it because you want federal benefits; you're doing it out of greed.

does AUM voting against sacred, mean that he agree's with me today

Last edited by workingclasshero; 12-05-2009 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: fixed quotes

Old 12-05-2009, 12:24 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I did not vote,

I think the LEGAL (ie a STATE paper) is not sacred....I think the COMMITMENT between 2 people is

I actually said this same thing yesterday, and I got slammed

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ect-gay-7.html
here is what I said:
in response to a Quote:
Originally Posted by hektic
Really sad news honestly, guess I'll have to wait longer to marry my boyfriend where I live now. I had hope it would pass honestly but should have known better when I saw EVERY republican not support it and then some Dems.. NY recognizes marriage from say CT or Mass but you do NOT get all the legal benefits. :/ (end quote)

(my answer)
and that is the whole issue.

why should we 'allow' you to marry, when the only thing you are interested in is the marriage BENEFIT, ie the money,, the gay marriage issue is about greed.

if you love him/her then marriage would not be an issue,, just live together since its supposed to be about love....not greed (end quote)

and the funny thing is AnUnidentifiedMale WHO VOTED NOT SACRED: replyed to my post with this:.......

does AUM voting against sacred, mean that he agree's with me today
Wow. Do you think you could work on the post? I cannot tell who typed what?

But anyways, I do not believe marriage is sacred but I do believe in for tax cuts. I do believe gay/lesbian couples should get tax cuts and visitation rights as a straight marriage you know?

Old 12-05-2009, 12:49 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Wow. Do you think you could work on the post? I cannot tell who typed what?

But anyways, I do not believe marriage is sacred but I do believe in for tax cuts. I do believe gay/lesbian couples should get tax cuts and visitation rights as a straight marriage you know?
Married couples do not get a tax break. In fact, they are penalized.

As for everything else (like visitation etc) - that is EASILY handled.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Married couples do not get a tax break. In fact, they are penalized.

As for everything else (like visitation etc) - that is EASILY handled.
Really?

Hospital Forces Lesbian to Die Alone; Judge Gives Stamp of Approval | Asterisk (http://blog.mattalgren.com/2009/09/hospital-forces-lesbian-to-die-alone/ - broken link)

A Gay Man Straightens Me Out - marytkelly - Open Salon

Nurses Apologize to Lesbian Denied Visitation : Gay News from Gay Agenda – GayAgenda.com (http://www.gayagenda.com/2009/11/nurses-apologize-to-lesbian-denied-visitation/ - broken link)

Lesbian partner denied visitation by hospital loses lawsuit, but battles on (http://lgbtqnews.com/gaynews/Lesbian-partner-denied-visitation-by-hospital-loses-lawsuit-but-battles-on.aspx - broken link)

Same-Sex Partner Denied Visitation Rights - Zelda Lily: Feminism in a Bra

AND MORE!

Would you have been ok not seeing your wife after the accident? Being told you could not just because you are a woman?

Old 12-05-2009, 01:13 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Marriage is a sacred institution designed by God where a man and woman become one unit or one flesh. It is a union that was designed to last a lifetime but our society has cheapened it to the point that folks stay maried until they tired of each other. It is humanity that has caused marriage to become less sacred in our "it's all about me" culture. Marrying for conveniences or tax breaks are poor reasons to get married.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Really?

Hospital Forces Lesbian to Die Alone; Judge Gives Stamp of Approval | Asterisk (http://blog.mattalgren.com/2009/09/hospital-forces-lesbian-to-die-alone/ - broken link)

A Gay Man Straightens Me Out - marytkelly - Open Salon

Nurses Apologize to Lesbian Denied Visitation : Gay News from Gay Agenda – GayAgenda.com (http://www.gayagenda.com/2009/11/nurses-apologize-to-lesbian-denied-visitation/ - broken link)

Lesbian partner denied visitation by hospital loses lawsuit, but battles on (http://lgbtqnews.com/gaynews/Lesbian-partner-denied-visitation-by-hospital-loses-lawsuit-but-battles-on.aspx - broken link)

Same-Sex Partner Denied Visitation Rights - Zelda Lily: Feminism in a Bra

AND MORE!

Would you have been ok not seeing your wife after the accident? Being told you could not just because you are a woman?

I said (if you would only learn to read and comprehend) that these issues can be easily handled. There are documents, a living will as an example, that can designate can, and cannot visit. This document can designate who has the legal authority to make medical decision if you cannot- including who has the authority to discontinue life support.

As I said - the issues CAN be handled.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I said (if you would only learn to read and comprehend) that these issues can be easily handled. There are documents, a living will as an example, that can designate can, and cannot visit. This document can designate who has the legal authority to make medical decision if you cannot- including who has the authority to discontinue life support.

As I said - the issues CAN be handled.
It CAN be handled but sometimes a religious nurse or whoever denies them because it is going against their BELIEFS.

I do not want ANYONE-gay, lesbian, straight denied seeing the one they love in their final moments.

I doubt it. Very very much. Many places do not even want to put houses in the name of people of the same sex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Marriage is a sacred institution designed by God where a man and woman become one unit or one flesh. It is a union that was designed to last a lifetime but our society has cheapened it to the point that folks stay maried until they tired of each other. It is humanity that has caused marriage to become less sacred in our "it's all about me" culture. Marrying for conveniences or tax breaks are poor reasons to get married.
I disagree. Big time.

You don't have to be in love to get married, my friend. I know someone who married a friend just for tax breaks. You know I have been with my boy for 3.5 years now. We don't have to be married to live together and live our life. We are committed now. Signing a piece of paper is not going to make it stronger. The only thing that is probably going to get me married is when we need the tax cuts. That is all we lack when it comes down to it.

And I know we are going to have a good debate, Chatteress. Remember...too much time on CD forums.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Many places do not even want to put houses in the name of people of the same sex.
Really? And where is that?

The fact is, the above is absolutely untrue.

AND, you do not get a tax break for being married.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Really? And where is that?

The fact is, the above is absolutely untrue.
Oh yeah? You just know everything, huh?

My parents bought a new house 4 years ago. They built it from scratch. My dad has a gay friend who also wanted to buy a new house. My dad and mom joint signed on it.

When my dad asked about his friends house, the lady asked him who would be co signing and if the person was single. My dad said "no". It was two men. The lady told him the Lasalle (company) does not recognize same sex couple joint ownership.

Today they are out of business and rightfully so.

Gays and lesbians deserve the same rights as straight couples. What makes a straight marriage so special and sacred? Nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies