Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is marriage sacred?
Yes 58 41.73%
No 81 58.27%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 12:26 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Naw. I am cool. I am going to college. I will try to find a good job. I will get on my own. I don't need a man to support me.

I am pleased with the results and can build my own nest.
Wonderful. And if you want a child, you just pick the first one that comes along, then boot him out the door as soon as his 'job' is done. What a way to live.

But, since I see you claim to be "pro-choice" (your choice, not his or the child's), I suppose you will kill a few before you decide it's time to raise one of the "masses of cells" to "person hood" (pro-choicer's believe it isn't a real person till some undefined point in time).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Since when do you speak for "women"?
Good question.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:29 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
It's sacred to people that still believe in it like me, I've been married 33 years through good and bad and what others do doesn't affect my marriage one single bit.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Marriage, in the eyes of the law, is a legal contract. Whether it's sacred or not depends on the feelings of the individuals involved. I don't consider it to be, personally.
Of course you don't, because that wouldn't suit your agenda, would it?

Old 01-21-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
marriage is a choice.
Yes, it is, and it's a darn good choice if you want to raise a family!

Old 01-21-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
^
What he said.
Now there's some original thinkin' for ya!

Old 01-21-2012, 12:35 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
I honestly don't think so. Look at our divorce rates. Fifty one percent. Dang. That is over HALF the marriages in this country.

It is not about love anymore as it is about tax breaks. That is the only reason I think I would get married. Don't get me wrong, I love the one who I am with but we can be together and in love without getting married. You don't need to be in love to get married. But I want the tax breaks when we eventually decide to settle.

I actually know someone who married their friend just for tax cuts and they are getting it.

I don't think marriage is sacred or necessary anymore.
Well Repugs do....wait , they adore White Newt...so they don't...but they say they do( they had to get rid of black Herman Cain)....but they don't....flip flop flip flop...gosh, those sleazy things are hard to keep up with...

Old 01-21-2012, 12:37 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
I honestly don't think so. Look at our divorce rates. Fifty one percent. Dang. That is over HALF the marriages in this country.

It is not about love anymore as it is about tax breaks. That is the only reason I think I would get married. Don't get me wrong, I love the one who I am with but we can be together and in love without getting married. You don't need to be in love to get married. But I want the tax breaks when we eventually decide to settle.

I actually know someone who married their friend just for tax cuts and they are getting it.

I don't think marriage is sacred or necessary anymore.
You aslo get lower health insurance.....that's a considerable savings ...and many people are forced to marry because of it...

Just have a pre-nup....

Old 01-21-2012, 12:38 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Wonderful. And if you want a child, you just pick the first one that comes along, then boot him out the door as soon as his 'job' is done. What a way to live.

But, since I see you claim to be "pro-choice" (your choice, not his or the child's), I suppose you will kill a few before you decide it's time to raise one of the "masses of cells" to "person hood" (pro-choicer's believe it isn't a real person till some undefined point in time).
This thread is about whether marriage is sacred, not about abortion.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
I actually know some guy whose wife cheated on him, and due to the no-fault state he was living in, had to give the house to her because he still had a daughter to raise, and he moved out and had nowhere to live.

My question is, when people get shafted or when their marriage fails, why do they attempt to marry again? And again? Do they seriously think practice makes perfect? I just do not get it. Do they think marriage is some kind of magical protection or spell that will keep things together?

It almost feels like people who are in love get married because they are AFRAID if they don't, their relationship might not work.

I'd suggest that when you ARE in love, the LAST thing you should do is get married. Because that is when your head is in the clouds. Wait until you simmer down, then take a cold, hard look at this person. When you get all the facts and checked this person inside out, then re-consider. And when you decide you can accept this person, their friends, their job, their family, their reality, their habits, likes and dislikes, and you can live with it, then get engaged. Give yourself at least a year to do that just in case. You have a year to back out in case something comes up. And oh, never be with someone because of their "potential". You'll be severely disappointed.

Most people don't bother being so thorough unfortunately. It's just not very romantic to be so ultra-realistic.

For some like the ones you illustrated, marriage is nothing but glorified prostitution. I'll give you this if you give me that. At the very least, it's a business transaction. Unconditional love? Unheard of.
So sorry for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies