Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 08:03 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
not to hijack but these were American saddlebred folks. is that a breed
It is. They have their own monstrous and controversial problems, trust me.

Their training methods can be just as brutal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 08:26 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Some of the debates are funny as hell and others get out of hand. All in all I have no issues with any of the posters on this forum. Some of you should be trial attorneys.........you have strong arguments.

Sure, I've been called every name in the book but to be honest I spend most of my time LMAO.........

Do you guys enjoy it like I do?

Call me a trouble maker if you will...........I enjoy the "action". If there was a fight, I'd want all on you on my side for sure.

Ron
I haven't been posting on this forum for very long but I enjoy the debates except for a couple of posters who are beginning to sound like broken records, same tired propaganda from topic to topic....yadda, yadda, yadda. But coming here is a nice diversion from my every day life. City Data is entertaining for the most part except at times it surprised me how much hate some people express. They must be walking ulcers if they are always that narrow-minded and closed to listening to other viewpoints. We, as a society, will never find common ground and/or compromises if we don't hear each other out.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 12-05-2009 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: added last sentence

Old 12-05-2009, 08:33 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
It's good to have people bring up other ideas than my own so they can be investigated. Sometimes valid proof is given to support a theory and many times baseless claims are just thrown out for a kick. Whatever the case it keeps my mind thinking and allows me a fresh set of ideas to research. I always liked the idea of a continual process of self-improvement as a means to keep my mind working. Alzheimer is prevalent in my family and it scares me to death to lose the ability to think or function at maximum capacity. I know it's inevitable but I'd like to delay it as long as physically possible.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:43 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,310,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post

How about the posters who think they are the forum police.

I'll narrow it down to the most annoying.

The grammar checkers.

The spell checkers.

The ones who try to dictate which forum a thread should be in. Very popular whine is "shouldn't this be in the religion forum" whaaa whaaa

The ones who complain about your thread topic and how there are several other threads about the same thing. Who cares? Is there some kind of limit as to how many threads city data can have in a day?

The ones who are "studying this topic in college right now" therefore, they are correct.

The "read this book" pushers.

to be continued.....
i SEa At leest to grammer errors in you're post.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:55 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
True.........but I can overlook that. I don't expect it to be that different for real life in terms of hate. On CD, it's IN YOUR FACE because people have a screen to hide behind.
I think that is true. Sometimes the hate gets to be too much for me. I have to either write a post that forces some of the people hating on me or other people to see us as human, or I have to leave. It's not my own personal feelings that get hurt, but rather the idea that there are people who are really mean to the core that hurts me. Like people that post that Christians are entitled to post signs in public about how there isn't a Santa even if it makes unsuspecting children cry. (True story--happened here yesterday). To me, that is just plain mean. And to children, for god's sake! To me, people like that are abusive. They don't care about other people's suffering.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:19 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,113 times
It is a great outlet. I no longer have to shout at the TV or get in arguments with relatives and friends over politics. I can get in arguments with anonymous people and have a restful night's sleep at the end of the day.

I can partake in the debate at any time of day, whenever I feel moved to do so. I don't have to go out and look for it especially since the average conversation I have w/ regular people (outside of C-D) on a daily basis usually lasts about a minute or less and rarely gets beyond the mundane comfort zone (the kids, the weather, home maintenance, etc.).

Old 12-05-2009, 09:32 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Wayland Woman
I haven't been posting on this forum for very long but I enjoy the debates except for a couple of posters who are beginning to sound like broken records, same tired propaganda from topic to topic....yadda, yadda, yadda. But coming here is a nice diversion from my every day life. City Data is entertaining for the most part except at times it surprised me how much hate some people express. They must be walking ulcers if they are always that narrow-minded and closed to listening to other viewpoints. We, as a society, will never find common ground and/or compromises if we don't hear each other out.
You're so right about the broken record people. I've been in the P & OC forum for a year and a half now, and those people come and go. It's usually the reasonable people on either side that end up staying around.

I don't have much time to post these days, but I do pop in every day to see what's going on and occasionally put in my two cents. I keep coming back for the entertainment value. This place is a riot!

And welcome to the forum by the way. It's nice to see a fellow West Michigander here.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:35 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
I think that is true. Sometimes the hate gets to be too much for me. I have to either write a post that forces some of the people hating on me or other people to see us as human, or I have to leave. It's not my own personal feelings that get hurt, but rather the idea that there are people who are really mean to the core that hurts me. Like people that post that Christians are entitled to post signs in public about how there isn't a Santa even if it makes unsuspecting children cry. (True story--happened here yesterday). To me, that is just plain mean. And to children, for god's sake! To me, people like that are abusive. They don't care about other people's suffering.
What do you think hurts more? No Santa or No God?

Old 12-05-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
You're so right about the broken record people. I've been in the P & OC forum for a year and a half now, and those people come and go. It's usually the reasonable people on either side that end up staying around.

I don't have much time to post these days, but I do pop in every day to see what's going on and occaisionally put in my two cents. I keep coming back for the entertainment value. This place is a riot!

And welcome to the forum by the way. It's nice to see a fellow West Michigander here.
That's good to know--that it is mostly the reasonable people who stick around. The only really scary people I've seen, to me anyway, are the conspiracy people. I cannot wrap my mind around the fact that there are people who believe that one evil genius, or even a small cabal of them, could actually engineer some giant plot to ensure that everything that happened in say, the past 40 years, was in service of some evil design. I mean, really? Who are these people, I think to myself. Could they be at the grocery store next to me? Could they be at the next table? How do they find each other, what are they smoking, and who checks their secret decoder rings at the door? They are kinda like fan geeks to the millionth power. It boggles my mind. Star trek fan conventions? Weird, but cool. Conspiracy theorist secret conventions? Can I be a fly on the wall please?

The mean people will always be a problem--they were probably bullies when they were kids. And they are used to getting their way with no sass back.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
What do you think hurts more? No Santa or No God?
I'm not religious, but regardless, at four? No Santa hurts more. Children need fairy tales for a reason--they need happy endings. The world is harsh enough--why not let them have that for a while? When I was four, I believed in both Santa and God, and I was fine. Those beliefs were not in competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies