Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
We live in a state of constant change. To wish everything to stay the same forever is simply unrealistic.
and I agree with that...I am just bothered by seeing this happen so dramatically..

Zimbochick, I might agree with you if I didn't know a little more about the entire situation. I do not know about the person that was named yesterday, but I do know about the past experiences and how they happened. This is not good.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 07:19 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I agree with that...I am just bothered by seeing this happen so dramatically..

Zimbochick, I might agree with you if I didn't know a little more about the entire situation. I do not know about the person that was named yesterday, but I do know about the past experiences and how they happened. This is not good.

Nita
Don't you beleive that the Holy spirit guides the church? All centuries of Christendom have believed that God guides the church in the example of Christ who did not exclude anyone. Did you forget the Gospel?

Old 12-06-2009, 08:01 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
The Archbishop of Canterbury is angry:

The spiritual leader of the global Anglican Communion issued an unusually sharp and swift rebuke to Episcopal Church leaders over the election of an openly gay bishop in the Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles.

Archbishop of Canterbury rebukes Episcopal leaders after L.A. diocese elects gay bishop | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

Old 12-07-2009, 08:13 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I guess my opinion on that is if people are leaving the church because the best person for the postion was elected, regardless of their sexual orientation, then perhaps the Episcopal church is better off without them.
Right, and what's left of the denomination will be able to pat themselves on the back for their "compassion" as they assemble in general council in the nearest phone booth available.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:32 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Right, and what's left of the denomination will be able to pat themselves on the back for their "compassion" as they assemble in general council in the nearest phone booth available.
Don't speak in innuendo, I am not a mind-reader.

The Episcopal Church prides itself on equality in relation to gender and sexual orientation. They have ordained female, gay, and lesbian priests for a while. The Presiding Bishop is a woman. Are you suggesting they turn back the tides of progress within their organization, or erect a glass ceiling in relation to gay and lesbian leadership? Either they are all encompassing, or they are exclusionary, I don't think half-way works.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:35 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sorry, it isn't great: not because I am oppossed to gays, but because it is causing the Epolpalian church to completely fall apart and that isn't Great!!! You would be shocked if you knew how many have left the church to become Lutherans or Anglicans, including many priests.

Nita
Why is this bad?

You may be aware that the Catholic church is also opening up its doors to Anglicans who find that their church is no longer sufficiently oppressive for them.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:42 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times
Quote:

The Episcopal Church prides itself on equality in relation to gender and sexual orientation. They have ordained female, gay, and lesbian priests for a while. The Presiding Bishop is a woman. Are you suggesting they turn back the tides of progress within their organization, or erect a glass ceiling in relation to gay and lesbian leadership? Either they are all encompassing, or they are exclusionary, I don't think half-way works.
I'm not suggesting anything. The denomination can do whatever it likes. Just be prepared for the consequences.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Don't you beleive that the Holy spirit guides the church? All centuries of Christendom have believed that God guides the church in the example of Christ who did not exclude anyone. Did you forget the Gospel?
I do believe the Holy Spirit guides the church, but I also believe that His guidance will not directly contradict the guidance already established in the Bible. My husband was a third generation Episcopalian. We stayed in the Episcopal church for a few years after we were married, but left many years ago because it was obvious to us then that much of the Episcopal church was heading in a direction with which we were just not in agreement. (The gospel, as I understand it, is simply that Christ died and took the punishment for the sins of all. The call then, is to repent and believe the gospel. This doesn't equate that everything that everyone ever thinks and does is acceptable to God.)

Old 12-07-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:

Not all Episcopalians would agree with you on this.

Nita

Old 12-07-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Why is this bad?

You may be aware that the Catholic church is also opening up its doors to Anglicans who find that their church is no longer sufficiently oppressive for them.
yes, this has been in the news for about 6 months now. The same with Lutherans, they are welcoming Episcopalians who feel the time to examine the church and the direction it is going has come. I want to make it clear, I am not condeming the church or any part of the church, I am pointing out the number of church members that have left. I do not have actually figures because it has been happening over about 10 years or more, but I can pretty well guarantee you, percentage wise more have left the Epicopal church over these issues than have left any other religion.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies