Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 12:28 AM

221 posts, read 228,772 times

Advertisements

“I have every confidence within a year to 18 months we can achieve success. We were able to do that in Iraq. We will leave and not allow the Taliban to make comments like Taliban prisoners are saying -- you've got the watches and we've got the time. We don't want to send that message.”

Those 2 sentences prove senility is setting in!

Last edited by DAVID65; 12-07-2009 at 12:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 12:47 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,076,346 times
I was encouraged by what he said in the bolded until I read the last sentence

Old 12-07-2009, 12:52 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
I liked this line better, when he was talking about Sarah Palin:
“I am entertained every time I see these people attack her and attack her and attack her. She’s irrelevant, but they continue to attack her. I am so proud of her and the work that she is doing,” McCain said.
"She's irrelevant..." I know what he really meant, but the way he said it was amusing.

McCain Lauds Palin, Then Calls Her Irrelevant - Washington Wire - WSJ

Old 12-07-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I liked this line better, when he was talking about Sarah Palin:
“I am entertained every time I see these people attack her and attack her and attack her. She’s irrelevant, but they continue to attack her. I am so proud of her and the work that she is doing,” McCain said.
"She's irrelevant..." I know what he really meant, but the way he said it was amusing.

McCain Lauds Palin, Then Calls Her Irrelevant - Washington Wire - WSJ
He's becoming a bafoon.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:07 AM

413 posts, read 562,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID65 View Post
He's becoming a bafoon.
Becoming? He's been that way a long time.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:20 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
This just proves how truly out of touch he is with the current times. Pathetic.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
This just proves how truly out of touch he is with the current times. Pathetic.
He needs to spend more time with his wife and less in public! (I would definitely spend more time with his wife )

Old 12-08-2009, 05:32 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,354 times
Quote:
“I have every confidence within a year to 18 months we can achieve success. We were able to do that in Iraq. We will leave and not allow the Taliban to make comments like Taliban prisoners are saying -- you've got the watches and we've got the time. We don't want to send that message.”

Those 2 sentences prove senility is setting in!
What he's referring to is the surge, not the entire war from the beginning when we first invaded Iraq, up until now. McCain was at odds with Rumsfeld and the way he was handling the war all along. When he finally got the boot and stepped down (Rumsfeld), McCain while campaigning, was the only candidate to support the surge in Iraq and made it clear that he was very confident it would work.....that was a big part of what helped him earn the slogan from his critics, "Four more years of Bush". When the surge worked, the opposition after opposing it all along, reluctantly agreed that it had but, still opposed it while refusing to give credit to any one for it's success.

Obama: Surge is 'one factor' in progress: The Swamp

Now with the situation in Afghan and the recent decision to send more troops there, the current administration wants the same strategy in Afghan and is referring to it's "success in the past" for it's reasoning.

FEINSTEIN: Well, look, you know, the president has said we're there to -- to win. And so if we're there to win, let's have a strategy and the tactics to go with the strategy to win. This surge enables that. It has worked before; it has a chance of working now.

RealClearPolitics - General Jones; Sens. Feinstein & Kyl on "State of the Union"

Gen. Petraeus who was in charge of the surge in Iraq (and now the commander of the U.S. Central Command), was recently interviewed by Chris Wallace regarding the plans for Afghan:

As a senator and presidential candidate, Barack Obama strongly opposed the troop surge that President George W. Bush called for in Iraq.

As president, Obama told Gen. David Petraeus the surge worked.

On "Fox News Sunday," host Chris Wallace asked Petraeus whether Obama acknowledged that the surge was successful, and Petraeus said: "He did, in fact."

Petraeus: Obama acknowledged 'surge' worked - POLITICO Live - POLITICO.com

Old 12-08-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
What he's referring to is the surge, not the entire war from the beginning when we first invaded Iraq, up until now. McCain was at odds with Rumsfeld and the way he was handling the war all along. When he finally got the boot and stepped down (Rumsfeld), McCain while campaigning, was the only candidate to support the surge in Iraq and made it clear that he was very confident it would work.....that was a big part of what helped him earn the slogan from his critics, "Four more years of Bush". When the surge worked, the opposition after opposing it all along, reluctantly agreed that it had but, still opposed it while refusing to give credit to any one for it's success.

Obama: Surge is 'one factor' in progress: The Swamp

Now with the situation in Afghan and the recent decision to send more troops there, the current administration wants the same strategy in Afghan and is referring to it's "success in the past" for it's reasoning.

FEINSTEIN: Well, look, you know, the president has said we're there to -- to win. And so if we're there to win, let's have a strategy and the tactics to go with the strategy to win. This surge enables that. It has worked before; it has a chance of working now.

RealClearPolitics - General Jones; Sens. Feinstein & Kyl on "State of the Union"

Gen. Petraeus who was in charge of the surge in Iraq (and now the commander of the U.S. Central Command), was recently interviewed by Chris Wallace regarding the plans for Afghan:

As a senator and presidential candidate, Barack Obama strongly opposed the troop surge that President George W. Bush called for in Iraq.

As president, Obama told Gen. David Petraeus the surge worked.

On "Fox News Sunday," host Chris Wallace asked Petraeus whether Obama acknowledged that the surge was successful, and Petraeus said: "He did, in fact."

Petraeus: Obama acknowledged 'surge' worked - POLITICO Live - POLITICO.com
And both you and he overlooked the fact that if the last administration would have kept its focus on and in Afghanistan instead of going into Iraq neither surge may have been needed!

Old 12-09-2009, 02:38 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,354 times
Quote:
And both you and he overlooked the fact that if the last administration would have kept its focus on and in Afghanistan instead of going into Iraq neither surge may have been needed!
It's easy criticize the decisions others made when you have the luxury of hindsight and you can claim what MAY have happened if they had done something differently. Unless someone has a crystal ball or we figure out how to travel back in time, unlike the person that had to make the decision, you risk nothing since there's no way of knowing what may or may not have happened if it had been done that way.

When it comes to the decision to invade Iraq, even in hindsight I have no comments about it because, I realize the decision was made with a bunch of information I am not privy to. When President Obama was a senator, he was one of the few that voted against the war in Iraq....he campaigned on that fact and that he would end the war and pull our troops out of Iraq if elected. Now that he's responsible for having to make the decisions regarding Iraq and Afghan, his actions have been different from what he campaigned on (as of 9/30/09 there are still 124,000 U.S. troops in Iraq and after the increase there will be 90,000 in Afghan). I say all this not to criticize him but, to point out how different things are when you're in charge and aware of all the classified details few others know of.

Nonetheless, what makes you assume both he and I overlooked something regarding the Bush administration's decision to go into Iraq and what does that have to do with what McCain said on "Meet the Press" or what I said when I explained what he was talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies