Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

And already the AP has news on Copenhagen..our last chance to fix things....or else bad things will happen very soon. It's AP so I won't snippet anything.

The last best chance: UN climate conference opens - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091207/ap_on_sc/climate - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 09:31 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Niether is Al Gore or anyone at CRU. Your condemnation of people seeking a better world seems so biased and selective as to be on a no more impartial plane than are your ideas about AGW to start out with...
When they advocate policy that hurts middleclass people the world over, they become tyrants.

and CRU seems full of people that want to harm anyone that doesnt agree with them.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
When they advocate policy that hurts middleclass people the world over, they become tyrants.

and CRU seems full of people that want to harm anyone that doesnt agree with them.

The CRU is playing the money game...grants come from those with money.
Who wants to see their grant money dry up ?

Old 12-07-2009, 09:38 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I suggest you actually read my posts which include my telling you (speaking of deniers) that I work with and know many, many scientists in both university and corporate settings (including experts at MIT) and I have looked at the data myself.
Then you know that there are very good reasons for a majority of knowledgeable, experienced, professional people to disagree with you. They are not being led around like some bunch of gullible sheep. They are doing what you have done times a thousand and more, and they are coming out on the other side of the scale as the result of it. Argue your points. If they have merit they will be recognized. If not, you can still frame them and hang them on the wall in your den...

Old 12-07-2009, 09:39 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
I've often enough said such things myself. What he's trying to do here is update and standardize large sets of historical files from different sources and different systems with different standards and different filetypes. The sorts of issues he encounters are the sorts that one would expect to encounter in such a project. If this is the big "smoking gun", there just isn't much of anything going on here...
Come on now.. Have you read that whole file? There's points where he's apparently guessing because of poor documentation...

Quote:
So.. when I look in the code/idl/pro/ folder, what do I find? Well:

3447 Jan 22 2004 fromdpe1a/code/idl/pro/frs_gts_anom.pro
2774 Jun 12 2002 fromdpe1a/code/idl/pro/frs_gts_tdm.pro

2917 Jan 8 2004 fromdpe1a/code/idl/pro/rd0_gts_anom.pro
2355 Jun 12 2002 fromdpe1a/code/idl/pro/rd0_gts_tdm.pro

5880 Jan 8 2004 fromdpe1a/code/idl/pro/vap_gts_anom.pro

In other words, the *anom.pro scripts are much more recent than the *tdm
scripts. There is no way of knowing which Tim used to produce the current
public files. The scripts differ internally but - you guessed it! - the
descriptions at the start are identical. WHAT IS GOING ON? Given that the
'README_GRIDDING.txt' file is dated 'Mar 30 2004' we will have to assume
that the originally-stated scripts must be used.
I don't consider myself a professional but my standards are pretty high to get labeled pro. I apparently have more documentation on my own small projects no one is ever going to see but me. I'm fortunate enough to have nice sideline seat on a major project and get to see how things should be run. I've seen the developers discuss even minute changes at great length all of which was heavily document, commented etc. Let's assume the harry_read_me.txt file is documentation for the main project which as of now hasn't been determined. Can you truthfully say to me you would trust this as the basis for spending trillions and trillions of dollars?

Quote:
This still meant an awful lot of encounters with naughty Master stations, when really I suspect
nobody else gives a hoot about. So with a somewhat cynical shrug, I added the nuclear option -
to match every WMO possible, and turn the rest into new stations (er, CLIMAT excepted). In other
words, what CRU usually do. It will allow bad databases to pass unnoticed, and good databases to
become bad, but I really don't think people care enough to fix 'em, and it's the main reason the
project is nearly a year late.
------edit------

Just to add that file is littered with comments like this, it's 2 or 3 year diary....

Old 12-07-2009, 09:48 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,064,338 times
Quote:
I've often enough said such things myself. What he's trying to do here is update and standardize large sets of historical files from different sources and different systems with different standards and different filetypes. The sorts of issues he encounters are the sorts that one would expect to encounter in such a project. If this is the big "smoking gun", there just isn't much of anything going on here...
ok, ok, I think it's time you take a deep breath and realize that you are not the Oracle of every single bit of knowledge on this planet. Now you're a software programmer too? Is there anything at all that you will not try to say you know about? You hardcore believers are only making yourselves look sillier and sillier as the days pass by along with your credibility.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:51 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The CRU is playing the money game...grants come from those with money. Who wants to see their grant money dry up ?
I don't know who you think is paying the folks at East Anglia, but you'd think that if these guys were all about money, they'd at least be smart enough to get a bidding war going between whomever and Exxon-Mobil. I mean think of the pop that Phil Jones' coming out to debunk all this global warming crap would have. That oughta be worth something, don't you think? Why aren't these top scientist guys running back and forth like free agents between the Yankees and the Red Sox? How come one side has to go with Lord Monckton and Steve McIntyre instead? Does the Heartland Institute have crummy uniforms or something?

Old 12-07-2009, 09:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I also have some 55+ years of experience living in the Northeast United States and experiencing the winters. The winters around here have become a lot milder. When we moved to New Hampshire a couple of decades ago the first lasting snow was around November 20th or so. This year our first lasting snow was on December 5. When I was in college in Connecticut 45 years ago the winters were colder than any winters I have experienced in southern New Hampshire.

I have also looked at pictures of Arctic ocean summer ice extent and pictures of glaciers I have reached out and touched forty years ago being too far up its valley to get to.

It is my conclusion based on this experience that the climate is getting warmer. If this warming is not associated with man made CO2 emissions to the atmosphere for the last 400 years then just what is causing these changes? If we are not causing the change I have experienced please explain to me what is? GW diners and people that do not believe mankind is capable of changing the climate are invited to answer.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:56 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
It's funny to watch wingnuts mocking people for listening to scientists and wanting to do something about it. And for not understanding that climate change means that winters will be colder in some areas. Of course, it would be funnier if those people would have to suffer for their decision to mock. But they'll just have to be dragged along like dead weight. And they'll never thank the rest of us, I'm sure.
Exactly. Global warming is fact and the only people doubting that are knuckle dragging idiots who listen to Beck, Limbaugh, Hannity...etc.

Right now the only debate is over how large of an effect we humans have had on global warming.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
they'd at least be smart enough to get a bidding war going between whomever and Exxon-Mobil.

Hmm you might be onto something there except with Shell:
Quote:
Mike
Had a very good meeting with Shell yesterday. Only a minor part of the
agenda, but I expect they will accept an invitation to act as a strategic
partner and will contribute to a studentship fund though under certain
conditions. I now have to wait for the top-level soundings at their end
after the meeting to result in a response. We, however, have to discuss
asap what a strategic partnership means, what a studentship fund is, etc,
etc. By email? In person?
I hear that Shell's name came up at the TC meeting. I'm ccing this to Tim
who I think was involved in that discussion so all concerned know not to
make an independent approach at this stage without consulting me!
I'm talking to Shell International's climate change team but this approach
will do equally for the new foundation as it's only one step or so off
Shell's equivalent of a board level. I do know a little about the Fdn and
what kind of projects they are looking for. It could be relevant for the
new building, incidentally, though opinions are mixed as to whether it's
within the remit.
Regards
Mick

Who's the oil industry shill now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies