Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:04 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I don't recall anyone on here stating that Diwali is a fraudulent holiday so it would be nice if folks could be just as respectful about Christians celebrating Christmas.
Because Diwali is actually there. On the original day and such. It was not stolen.

Christmas was stolen from the Pagans. Hence why I believe it is fraud. Christ Himself was NOT born on December 25th.

I also do not like the attitude of several Christians at this time of year. The look of shock and disapproval I get when I say I do not celebrate. Start saying "Merry Christmas" a MONTH before. If I wished you a Happy Valentines Day at the start of Feb, you would be like "Huh? That is not for another XX days."

I am cool with the fact that people celebrate the birth of Jesus. The attitude that comes with it "Oh my religion is the best and anyone who is not Christian is worthless or unacceptable" or the "Oh my god! There is a war on Christmas!" Strange....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
You don't like or approve of Christmas? Well then I'm certain you are going to insist on going to work that day, turn down any Christmas bonus, refuse any Christmas presents, etc. etc.
I would go to work if it was not closed. No problem at all. We don't get Christmas bonuses. We get "end of year performance bonus".

And I do not do Christmas gifts. Everyone else around me (friends) are going broke because of Christmas and I did not waste a single penny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 08:10 PM

14,482 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
What is re God?
Sorry, it means in regards to.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Sorry, it means in regards to.
LOL

I thought so.

But what do you mean? You think we both share the same view?

My view is this as of right now: I was raised to be a believer by the religion called Sikhism. As I grew older, I realized it did not fulfill me. Found Wicca. It was AWESOME. But something happened one day....

I became agnostic. Then I began to lean atheists after thinking about it. But this semester I took a religion course and they told me I had to pick a religion I was not familiar with. I chose to do Christianity and find it amazing and fascinating. I really like some of the things Jesus Christ preached. I wonder more than ever now if there is a God or not but still lean agnostic/atheist. I have tried to make that connection. Nothing ever works.

I just don't know buddy.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:16 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Who exactly owns the damn place then? It sure as hell aint muslims or jews, you are here because we are compassionate people who let you live here because we felt sorry for you. So if you hate it so much, maybe you should just go back home.
This post makes absolutley no sense. Exactly which religion is "letting" which religion live where? Please clarify.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:47 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,947,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
source: O'Reilly Ambushes Elementary School For 'War On Christmas' (VIDEO)

Once again a fundamentalist needs to force everyone to celebrate christmas. People can't choose to celebrate the 'holidays' they need to celebrate 'christmas'. Why can't the Christian Al Queda wannabes let people practice their freedom of religion.
Why cant you just let Christians celebrate Christmas, why must they be silenced. Let the religious be religious. No harm, no foul.

And it shows your level of maturity equating Christians with Al Qaeda. You'll have to grow up a little before anyone takes you serious.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:00 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,264 times
Quote:

Once again a fundamentalist needs to force everyone to celebrate christmas. People can't choose to celebrate the 'holidays' they need to celebrate 'christmas'. Why can't the Christian Al Queda wannabes let people practice their freedom of religion.
You have a lot of learning to do before you compare the taliban to any religion that doesn't shoot rape victims in the head and in front of her kids. And who in their right mind agrees with your disgusting comparison? Oh wait, I saw a bunch. Shame on you all too.

Where was the FORCE TO CELEBRATE? No one was asking any one to wake up on 12/25 and celebrate the birth of Jesus. No one was asking any one to partake in Christmas Eve celebrations.

As long as ALL religions are kept out of public schools, not a problem. No Chanukkah, no Ramadan, no Kwanzaa, no nothing. And NO teaching of ANYTHING that has a religious twinge to it. Sorry, no holocaust teaching, it was a religious plight so..nope. Gotta keep all the crazies equally happy.

And keep all your religion at home, while you're at it. No head-gear allowed in schools either. No days off for anything. You want total separation of religion from state...there you go. And until that happens? Knock it off.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:04 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,484 times
Quote:
Because Diwali is actually there. On the original day and such. It was not stolen.

Christmas was stolen from the Pagans. Hence why I believe it is fraud. Christ Himself was NOT born on December 25th.

I also do not like the attitude of several Christians at this time of year. The look of shock and disapproval I get when I say I do not celebrate. Start saying "Merry Christmas" a MONTH before. If I wished you a Happy Valentines Day at the start of Feb, you would be like "Huh? That is not for another XX days."

I am cool with the fact that people celebrate the birth of Jesus. The attitude that comes with it "Oh my religion is the best and anyone who is not Christian is worthless or unacceptable" or the "Oh my god! There is a war on Christmas!" Strange....

I would go to work if it was not closed. No problem at all. We don't get Christmas bonuses. We get "end of year performance bonus".

And I do not do Christmas gifts. Everyone else around me (friends) are going broke because of Christmas and I did not waste a single penny.

Why is there a problem and what is the difference if the exact date is wrong. The point is that Christians celebrate the birth of their savior and that should be respected.

I have never had anyone say Merry Christmas to me before Thanksgiving, never not even in my Church but even if they do what is the big deal. The people are proud and happy about this time of year why does it bother you?

I do think my religion is the "best" if I didn't I would not be a very faithful, true Christian now would I? You have to look at it from another POV. To be Christian means to believe with all that you are and you are willing to give all that you have. You can't believe half way. So yes I do think my religion is the best and I see nothing wrong with that so long as I respect others I see nothing wrong with feeling that way.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:07 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:

if you dont want christmas in your neighborhood, then dont take those days off, dont ask for christmas pay, or any of the other benefits that come with the christmas season. just treat it and all other holidays as a normal day and go to school or work and act like it is just another day.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Why is there a problem and what is the difference if the exact date is wrong. The point is that Christians celebrate the birth of their savior and that should be respected.

I have never had anyone say Merry Christmas to me before Thanksgiving, never not even in my Church but even if they do what is the big deal. The people are proud and happy about this time of year why does it bother you?

I do think my religion is the "best" if I didn't I would not be a very faithful, true Christian now would I? You have to look at it from another POV. To be Christian means to believe with all that you are and you are willing to give all that you have. You can't believe half way. So yes I do think my religion is the best and I see nothing wrong with that so long as I respect others I see nothing wrong with feeling that way.
I agree. Obviously you think your faith is better than the rest BUT I feel everyone should still respect that other people have a choice. Look, I am not mad because people celebrate the birth of Christ (who in my opinion WAS BEYOND AWESOMEEEEEEEE) but I do when some of these people have a issue with other religions being recognized.

Maybe people in my area are crazy. They go all shocked when they discover I do not celebrate Christmas and stop talking to me. LOL. Whatever. They have the right to worship and I have the right to think it is fake because it is not his actual birthday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
You have a lot of learning to do before you compare the taliban to any religion that doesn't shoot rape victims in the head and in front of her kids. And who in their right mind agrees with your disgusting comparison? Oh wait, I saw a bunch. Shame on you all too.

Where was the FORCE TO CELEBRATE? No one was asking any one to wake up on 12/25 and celebrate the birth of Jesus. No one was asking any one to partake in Christmas Eve celebrations.

As long as ALL religions are kept out of public schools, not a problem. No Chanukkah, no Ramadan, no Kwanzaa, no nothing. And NO teaching of ANYTHING that has a religious twinge to it. Sorry, no holocaust teaching, it was a religious plight so..nope. Gotta keep all the crazies equally happy.

And keep all your religion at home, while you're at it. No head-gear allowed in schools either. No days off for anything. You want total separation of religion from state...there you go. And until that happens? Knock it off.
I think that the headline is horrible too. I agree with you there.

And I agree with keeping all religions out of school. And I do not mind not having Christmas or Easter off. Not in the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
if you dont want christmas in your neighborhood, then dont take those days off, dont ask for christmas pay, or any of the other benefits that come with the christmas season. just treat it and all other holidays as a normal day and go to school or work and act like it is just another day.
I would if I could. I don't ask for Christmas pay or any other so called "benefits" (?) or those days off. In fact, I would be happy to go to work. No issue here.

I dont have a problem with the decorations in the neighborhood though....many people have Jesus in front of their homes. Some just have lights. No biggie

Old 12-07-2009, 09:23 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,484 times
Quote:
I agree. Obviously you think your faith is better than the rest BUT I feel everyone should still respect that other people have a choice. Look, I am not mad because people celebrate the birth of Christ (who in my opinion WAS BEYOND AWESOMEEEEEEEE) but I do when some of these people have a issue with other religions being recognized.

Maybe people in my area are crazy. They go all shocked when they discover I do not celebrate Christmas and stop talking to me. LOL. Whatever. They have the right to worship and I have the right to think it is fake because it is not his actual birthday.
I agree people should always respect others faith and never belittle it or make fun of it. I would never want any person to feel they could not celebrate whatever religion they believe in. In my view I am just happy that people believe in something.

If someone stops talking to you because you are an atheist they are not true Christians nor friends. If I ever stopped talking to everyone in my life that was not Christian I would be a very lonely person. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies