Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 02:19 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times

Advertisements

I like the term, unborn, it could be a great movie: Attack of the Unborn. Something near to the zombie genre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 02:36 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ahh, it wasnt me who brought up chaining women in their house..
I see you didnt have a problem with the one who suggested this as an option, your problem only came when I suggested it wasnt a viable option. Now I'm the one scared...
I guess when the other poster mentioned it, I thought she was referring to forcing the pregnant woman to carry her own baby to term...not grabbing women off the street to intentionally impregnate them.

...from your post- "I chose to adopt while there were indeed other alternatives out there. I could have ran down the street and grabbed another female, chained her to my basement, and forced her to give birth to my child, but with so many legal alternatives, that would be foolish to advocate.."

Frankly, if other men think like you do, it just reaffirms the need to keep them away from having any control over a woman's reproduction.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:40 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
I guess when the other poster mentioned it, I thought she was referring to forcing the pregnant woman to carry her own baby to term...not grabbing women off the street to intentionally impregnate them. Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

...from your post- "I chose to adopt while there were indeed other alternatives out there. I could have ran down the street and grabbed another female, chained her to my basement, and forced her to give birth to my child, but with so many legal alternatives, that would be foolish to advocate.."

Frankly, if other men think like you do, it just reaffirms the need to keep them away from having any control over a woman's reproduction.
Absolutely. I always recommend the book: The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood. It's a cautionary tale.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:42 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
I dont think it could have been worded better.. forget everyone else involved in the potential babies life, including the baby themself, its all about the woman!!
I think you've got it!!!

Old 12-08-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzai View Post
Abortion doesn’t end with the baby, It should also be remembered that no matter how many times abortion is proposed as a solution to a difficult situation, abortion has a way of creating new, long-lasting problems of its own. According to post-abortion women, abortion taints the expected good result. Even some post-abortion women who became pregnant as a result of rape or incest report that the abortion made them feel further violated. Of the other 99% of post-abortion women, many report that instead of feeling free or happy after the abortion, they feel burdened with guilt and loss.
Link to source of info, please.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Absolutely. I always recommend the book: The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood. It's a cautionary tale.
One of my favorite and most recommended books.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:52 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
One of my favorite and most recommended books.
Really? Why do you recommend it? I will look into it if you let me know what you liked and what it is about.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:52 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
If I wanted the child, and she aborted it I would file for divorce.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:53 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Quote:
Again, its the females choice... Regardless of a mans opinion on the issue, it doesnt matter..
I'm sorry, but you are dead wrong! And I am actually just sick of hearing this tired old excuse. Especially if we are talking about a married couple here. A marriage is a union of two people into one, all choices and decisions are from there on out supposed to be made based on the feelings of both parties, not just the womans. All you have is this insane idea that because the woman carries the child, all choices involving that child are up to her. Problem is, she gave up complete ownership of her body when she willingly performed the act required for reproduction. Having done so, she has given another lifeform permission to share her body for the 10 month gestation period required. You have forfeit your right to complete ownership once you have made decisions that bring forth life. Not to mention the father's part in this. A man has just as much right to a say in wether or not his child lives or dies as the woman does, especially in a committed marital relationship. It is half his child! It is not just the woman's child!

Tell you what though, if this is your absolute opinion on the issue, which it obviously is looking at the numerous posts you have submitted to this effect, can I expect you to pass the same power on to the men in the relationships, regardless of the outcome. Because that is what you expect for the women. If you support the man's right to walk away if he so chooses, from either situation, then I would support your opinion. Men and women are equal, the women's movement did not come with extra rights for women. Equality is supposed to be paramount in law. So if you support the women's absolute right to control over this situation, then you should support the male's right to absolute control of his situation as well. So if he chooses to walk out on his pregnant girlfriend, that should be perfectly fine. And she will be left with that absolute power you seem to cherish, which will allow her to either keep the child or abort the child. You say it's a female's choice, regardless of man's opinion. Then support the man's right to his freedom of choice, with no strings attached. If you can't do that, then you are a hypocrit, and your opinion to me is null and void.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:58 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I'm sorry, but you are dead wrong! And I am actually just sick of hearing this tired old excuse. Especially if we are talking about a married couple here. A marriage is a union of two people into one, all choices and decisions are from there on out supposed to be made based on the feelings of both parties, not just the womans. All you have is this insane idea that because the woman carries the child, all choices involving that child are up to her. Problem is, she gave up complete ownership of her body when she willingly performed the act required for reproduction. Having done so, she has given another lifeform permission to share her body for the 10 month gestation period required. You have forfeit your right to complete ownership once you have made decisions that bring forth life. Not to mention the father's part in this. A man has just as much right to a say in wether or not his child lives or dies as the woman does, especially in a committed marital relationship. It is half his child! It is not just the woman's child!

Tell you what though, if this is your absolute opinion on the issue, which it obviously is looking at the numerous posts you have submitted to this effect, can I expect you to pass the same power on to the men in the relationships, regardless of the outcome. Because that is what you expect for the women. If you support the man's right to walk away if he so chooses, from either situation, then I would support your opinion. Men and women are equal, the women's movement did not come with extra rights for women. Equality is supposed to be paramount in law. So if you support the women's absolute right to control over this situation, then you should support the male's right to absolute control of his situation as well. So if he chooses to walk out on his pregnant girlfriend, that should be perfectly fine. And she will be left with that absolute power you seem to cherish, which will allow her to either keep the child or abort the child. You say it's a female's choice, regardless of man's opinion. Then support the man's right to his freedom of choice, with no strings attached. If you can't do that, then you are a hypocrit, and your opinion to me is null and void.
1) Pghquest is anti abortion and was being sarcastic.

2) No offense but who are you? Nobody cares what their opinion is worth to you

3) I am sorry you are so bitter about abortion and "mens rights" when it comes to this issue. If you are against abortion, don't have sex with a woman who is pro choice. Very simple. Be MEN and talk about it before you stick it in her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
If I wanted the child, and she aborted it I would file for divorce.
You have every right to do that. Wouldn't it have been better to talk to the woman BEFORE you got married? Make sure she shared the same view on abortion?

I am prochoice. So is my boyfriend. If I get pregnant, we both are perfectly fine with having an abortion. We DISCUSSED it before doing the deed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies