Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 04:14 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,341,064 times

Advertisements

I calibrate my thermometers and temp. probes with distilled water, crushed ice cubes and a boiling pot of water. If there is a swing in one way or the other, depending on what temp. I'll be closer to, I just split the difference. I also calibrate pressure gauges with an azeotropic chemical (refrigerant) by allowing it to come to an equilibrium in a stable room temp situation and adjust the gauges to match the press-temp chart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 04:16 PM

20,393 posts, read 12,289,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
That's all that's necessary to keep a good mercury thermometer calibrated. But I can understand how someone with your background would fail grasp that.

You should post on the C-D thread about why being uneducated is better. You'll find some cohorts there.
what is my background Church?

and I think we have clearly dealt with the reality of the calibration of thermometers.... when looking to be accurate to within a tenth of a degree....

and you didnt win that argument.

however your insults crack me up.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:46 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,517,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
It aint that hard. If you have a very clean and slick glass or porcelain container, it can happen. It happens because there is no imperfection for steam bubbles to form on and surface tension. Its all very thermal dynamic you know….

Rare yes, but can happen more than you might think. It has happened enough to me (I have to boil water in the microwave for coffee regularly) that I tap the side of the microwave before opening the door if the water doesn’t boil when I think it should.
If it's capable of being recreated, time after time, well, isn't that really the basis of science anyhow? Results that can be repeated?

Old 12-16-2009, 05:24 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,036,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I calibrate my thermometers and temp. probes with distilled water, crushed ice cubes and a boiling pot of water. If there is a swing in one way or the other, depending on what temp. I'll be closer to, I just split the difference. I also calibrate pressure gauges with an azeotropic chemical (refrigerant) by allowing it to come to an equilibrium in a stable room temp situation and adjust the gauges to match the press-temp chart.
Hasn't changed much since the 1880s has it.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:27 PM

Again, you can have water boiling in a pot higher than 212 degrees. If it's at 220, it will still be boiling water.

So how did you get around that one? How did you arbitrarily decide when it reached "equilibrium"?

Old 12-16-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If it's capable of being recreated, time after time, well, isn't that really the basis of science anyhow? Results that can be repeated?
And how often are those situation recreated in nature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Again, you can have water boiling in a pot higher than 212 degrees. If it's at 220, it will still be boiling water.

So how did you get around that one? How did you arbitrarily decide when it reached "equilibrium"?
By how it would occur naturally, of course. Of course there are a huge number of variations but none of them typically involve a microwave, near perfectly clean water and a glass container. Those conditions just don't happen in nature.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 12-16-2009 at 09:14 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 06:04 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,378,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Here is a pointer to a previous post, rlchurch.

How come you can't deal with real data, all you can do is argue words. Why can't you use numbers?

I want to hear from you as to your comments on this data. I don't want a bunch of words, I want to hear a statistical assessment. If you are who you say you are, you will have no difficulty doing this.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:09 PM

Superheated water--that doesn't boil--is what happens in the microwave. That wasn't what I asked. Let me ask again in another way, and see if it any clearer to you.

If you put a pot of water on a stove, and heat the water to 220 degrees...what does the water do? Does it boil? Or not?

Of course, "boiling water" rarely occurs in nature at all, unless there's geothermal energy involved. But I'm not too sure that hot springs actually reach that temperature, since not many people could tolerate boiling hot water. (There are people who don't have a pain response of any sort, but they're pretty rare.)

Old 12-16-2009, 06:25 PM

It'll never reach 220°F unless you mix it with a chemical that raises its boiling point, the superheated steam will. The only way the water will reach a 220°F is to go "about" 4,000 feet under sea-level.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 12-16-2009 at 06:45 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 06:44 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,378,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
It'll never reach 220°F unless you mic it with a chemical that raises its boiling point, the superheated steam will. The only way the water will reach a 220°F is to go "about" 4,000 feet under sea-level.
Water will reach 212 then stay at that temp until it is all boiled away. The only way to raise the temp of clean water to 220 would be to subject it to an increased (atmospheric) pressure of about 34.5 inches of mercury. This is about 19% more than "normal" air pressure at sea level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies