Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 03:54 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Perhaps the word "Christmas" which precedes the word "Tree" might be a bit of a clue for some that it is in fact a religious symbol.

Or not.
Actually... Or not.

The "Christmas Tree" is not a symbol of Christianity and was actually a custom adopted in Germany which eventually was picked up by some churches. It is not a symbol in the slightest.

This is why many Christians were upset when NYC removed their nativity scene and told them they could only have a Christmas tree in its place while the other symbols for muslim and Jewish were actually their religious symbols.

It is easy to mistake though, even a lot of Christians are misinformed about these things. Give it time and people will be claiming Santa Clause is a Christian symbol. /shrug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 04:13 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
LOL, they are just jumping the shark all over the place this year aren't they?. Guess our kids will have a good laugh about it when they get older or else they won't have any mention of Christmas or any holidays since they will all be banned.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:28 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
If they're that upset about seeing then tree, then they have bigger problems than the tree.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:29 PM

82 posts, read 80,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Right. Why can't it just be a decorated tree with pretties on it ? Pagans make such things, and cave men and women probably did, too. Call it anything you like. The tree didn't have crosses all over it, correct ? I like Christmas trees.
I like them too

Old 12-08-2009, 04:31 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Every Friday I wear a shirt with a tree on it that reads, "Merry Xmas". So far no problems

Old 12-08-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Actually... Or not.

The "Christmas Tree" is not a symbol of Christianity and was actually a custom adopted in Germany which eventually was picked up by some churches. It is not a symbol in the slightest.

This is why many Christians were upset when NYC removed their nativity scene and told them they could only have a Christmas tree in its place while the other symbols for muslim and Jewish were actually their religious symbols.

It is easy to mistake though, even a lot of Christians are misinformed about these things. Give it time and people will be claiming Santa Clause is a Christian symbol. /shrug
You're right. The Christians used this symbol to try and lure more people into their religion, by making the supposed birth of Christ the same day as the German tree decorating ritual some sort of divine coincidence.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
The tree is not religious..it's secular. Way to overachieve PC.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:36 PM

I'm an aetheist and I like the religious symbols that are associated with Christmas. I find it peaceful and beautiful in a lot of respects. To me, the tree and those symbols go hand in hand. I don't really think of it as a religious display, I look at it like a beautiful display. I wouldn't care if it was mixed with all sorts of different faith's symbols as long as it looked nice.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:44 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Principal Forced To Take Down Christmas Tree For One Family

Ashland, OR (AHN) - An Ashland elementary school principal had to play Grinch by removing a Christmas tree from her school lobby. Before the Thanksgiving break, Bellview Elementary had a giving tree standing tall in its lobby. When the students returned, the tree had disappeared. Principal Michelle Zundel said a family requested the tree be taken down because it is a religious symbol and it made their children uncomfortable being around it.

Read more: Principal Forced To Take Down Christmas Tree For One Family | AHN (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7017210613?Principal%20Forced%20To%20Take%20Down%2 0Christmas%20Tree%20For%20One%20Family#ixzz0Z8XEKG La - broken link)
Since school attendance is compulsory I would say that the Principal made the right decision. The children involved did not have the choice to avoid the tree. If it has simply been in a public place, then it would be a different story.

Although the tree is *not* a religious symbol per se, it is still associated with a religious holiday, last time I checked, so their complaint was valid IMHO.

The problem is, that these children are going to be confronted with Christmas, Easter, etc., for the rest of their lives. They really need to learn how to cope with encountering these ritualistic symbols rather than being "uncomfortable". The REST OF THE WORLD is not going to try to please them forever, and the sooner they understand that the better.

I do NOT like to see or hear references to Jesus or other deities in public because I consider that personal. But I live in the bible belt and I hear about it practically NON STOP every single day. I would have to live in a closet to avoid it, so I just grit my teeth and carry on. That is what life is all about. You can't always have it your way.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-08-2009, 04:49 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
What's unfortunate in this particular situation was that it was clearly a "giving tree", which contained names of needy families. Many organizations do this these days and it's about as far removed from religion as you can get. Had I been the principal I would not have removed the tree and would have made apologies to the complaining family and explained the reality of the situation. They are going to have to learn sometime and their kids had best get used to seeing trees...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies