Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:36 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I feel like I am becoming more of a "liberal" and I don't know why I have always been sort of socially liberal I guess but a total right wing and I am really going to the other side...what the heck???? Why why???
Counseling and medication might help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 10:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I remain a liberal and a Democrat even if I disagree with this administration's failure to get out of the Middle East and return progressivity to the income tax system.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:47 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Give up the party label. Follow the issue instead regardless of who puts it forward.
Exactly! This was one of the very first things I learned when it comes to political issues - look at the issue from all sides and then decide how you feel about it and what you think. And the same thing applies to politicians - do your best to look at all sides of all the candidates in whatever election and then make the choice who to vote for, ignoring the political party he/she belongs to. Do you agree with that man/woman's stance on most of issues that are important to you? Then that is the person you vote for. In forty years of voting, I can't say I've never been disappointed after an election, but I can say I've never voted for a political party.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:11 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Give up the party label. Follow the issue instead regardless of who puts it forward.
Best post

Old 12-09-2009, 11:58 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
I feel like I am becoming more of a "liberal" and I don't know why I have always been sort of socially liberal I guess but a total right wing and I am really going to the other side...what the heck???? Why why???
The problem is that you're confused. With all the labels today, it's easy to get confused. You're equating the "Right Wing" with conservatism. Though many on the right claim to be conservative, their deeds indicate otherwise. Many right-wingers make the so-called liberals look conservative.

It's not that you're becoming more liberal, it's just that the right wing is moving further away from conservatism and into statism, which oddly enough is so far right, it's left. If you start moving to the east and go far enough, you'll end up in the west. Ron Paul is a great example, the Libertarians like to claim his as one of their own but he's not. He's a Republican and always was for the most part. The problem is that the republican party has moved so far to the right, real republicans like him got left alone and kicked to the curb by the right wing neocons who seem to be the squeaky wheels getting the grease. The Libertarians are more similar to the Republicans of old so it's easy to confuse the two.

Just vote on the issues that matter to you and pay no attention to the party.

Sometimes you need to compromise. Both those on the far left and far right will vote for a candidate because of their position on a single issue and are willing to sacrifice everything in between for their personal axe grinding. Most wedge issues seem to be non-issues from my point of view so I sort of look past the small stuff and vote according the issues that have the most impact.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:58 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Point well taken and very true. No matter what your choice of Party Line, the issues are of upmost importance.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:25 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Just come to the light, it's safe here.

Before you know it you'll be putting mustard on your hamburger...

Old 12-10-2009, 12:42 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
I'm the same way, kinda. Even though I am very, very centrist on most issues, I had always identified myself as a Republican up until probably late 2007.

It's become very clear that the Republican party has been hijacked by the far right wing and they're intent on purging all the moderates, no matter how bad of a political strategy that is. In the end, I gave them what they wanted and officially joined the Democratic Party just before this last election.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:57 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Before you know it you'll be putting mustard on your hamburger...
Oh, I don't know if anyone should become that much of a liberal. You have to then deal with right-wing hacks like Laura Ingraham whining, "Now, what kind of a man puts Dijon mustard on his hamburger?"

On second thought, anything that makes Laura Ingraham upset is probably a good thing. I'll be sure to buy a case of Dijon mustard the next time I'm at Costco.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:28 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Quote:
Me, too.

I've voted GOP since Reagan. I've voted Dem once, but I'm convinced they're brighter, more engaged, and more responsive to the public interest.

The GOP has become stupid, angry, and irritating. They're totally owned by corporate interests, do nothing in the public interest and embrace those dumb religious fundies.

I don't consider myself a Democrat, just strongly anti-Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies