Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 11:27 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Once again, the democrats are not trying to address the root causes for high costs in healthcare, nor are they trying to lower the costs on health insurance, all they are doing is widening the big government net, and forcing taxpayers and the private sector businesses to absorb the costs.
I would not limit that statement to Dems. The Repubs have nothing proposed to address the "root cause" either. Actually the Repubs would be even less likely to go for what is really needed. The nation needs to attack the reason we have such a heavy heath(sick) care burden. The American people need to do what is necessary to avoid the diseases in the first place. The Govt can do a lot to help them do that. It would require a willingness on both parts, but it certainly could be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 11:28 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Look the US Senate is trying to compromise on the health bill. But they are just idiots.

Not only are they going to bankrupt Medicare by expanding it to age 55 year old for those without insurance but as a consequence they will accelerate the bankruptcy of the SSN program.

Think about this:

The reason most Americans don't retire and take early SSN benefits at age 62 is that they don't qualify for medicare until age 65.

Now the proposal in the US Senate will allow people as young as 55 without insurance to be enrolled in the medicare program. This will add a tremendous amount of pressure on the funding of medicare. How exactly are they going to pay for that?

That's issue number 1.

But the consequence of issue 1 is that they will also create major issue number 2. That is more and more people will be enticed to take early retirement at age 62 to start collecting SSN. Sure the payments will be reduced but one of the main reasons for delaying SSN until 65 (67 for younger workers) is that they don't qualify for medicare.

So you bankrupt Medicare PLUS you bankrupt SSN.

And yes, I know some disabled people qualify for medicare at much younger ages but that population won't open the floodgates as much as lower medicare eligibility.
They'll pay for it just like they do now...and I will qualify...

It's a GREAT idea!!!!

Didja know that for every $100 Medicare spends, 98 goes to PATIENT care....as opposed to private insurance ...for every $100 ...98 goes to the administration...and 2 to patient care...like that????

YES I get Medicare!!!!!

Old 12-09-2009, 12:21 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,782,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
They'll pay for it just like they do now...and I will qualify...

It's a GREAT idea!!!!

Didja know that for every $100 Medicare spends, 98 goes to PATIENT care....as opposed to private insurance ...for every $100 ...98 goes to the administration...and 2 to patient care...like that????

YES I get Medicare!!!!!
I hope you realize the US taxpayers pay for Medicare and it's bankrupting the country.

In addition, the fees collected by medicare are often times 33% of what private insurance pays. Many providers operate barely at a break even point to provide services to medicare patients. Lets see private insurance will pay $600 for a medical procedure. Medicare will pay $200. You do realize the fees collected need to pay for overhead such as nurses, techs, even janitor services.

What if everyone was on a government subsidized insurance like medicare. Well lets see our VA hospital system. Have you been to a VA hospital? It's highly inefficiency. Surgical cases are delayed time after time. Why? Because there's no incentive to do the cases. Unless it's a true emergency (which most cases aren't'), cases will get backed up.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:24 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
I hope you realize the US taxpayers pay for Medicare and it's bankrupting the country.

In addition, the fees collected by medicare are often times 33% of what private insurance pays. Many providers operate barely at a break even point to provide services to medicare patients. Lets see private insurance will pay $600 for a medical procedure. Medicare will pay $200. You do realize the fees collected need to pay for overhead such as nurses, techs, even janitor services.

What if everyone was on a government subsidized insurance like medicare. Well lets see our VA hospital system. Have you been to a VA hospital? It's highly inefficiency. Surgical cases are delayed time after time. Why? Because there's no incentive to do the cases. Unless it's a true emergency (which most cases aren't'), cases will get backed up.
Sorry, you need to do more research...your post was so wrong I didn't know where to start...google.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:26 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,369 times
Quote:
Look the US Senate is trying to compromise on the health bill. But they are just idiots.

Not only are they going to bankrupt Medicare by expanding it to age 55 year old for those without insurance but as a consequence they will accelerate the bankruptcy of the SSN program.

Think about this:

The reason most Americans don't retire and take early SSN benefits at age 62 is that they don't qualify for medicare until age 65.

Now the proposal in the US Senate will allow people as young as 55 without insurance to be enrolled in the medicare program. This will add a tremendous amount of pressure on the funding of medicare. How exactly are they going to pay for that?

That's issue number 1.

But the consequence of issue 1 is that they will also create major issue number 2. That is more and more people will be enticed to take early retirement at age 62 to start collecting SSN. Sure the payments will be reduced but one of the main reasons for delaying SSN until 65 (67 for younger workers) is that they don't qualify for medicare.

So you bankrupt Medicare PLUS you bankrupt SSN.

And yes, I know some disabled people qualify for medicare at much younger ages but that population won't open the floodgates as much as lower medicare eligibility.
You OBVIOUSLY have NEVER met anyone on SS

YOU CANT AFFORD TO LIVE OFF SS AND MEDICARE IN 99% of this country. Im not even 65 and I know that. This claim is hogwash.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:34 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,516,756 times
maybe lower the age to 62, for medicare benefits. Then early retirement at 62 and medicare benefits would work together and go into effect at the same time as early retirement. Might even give people incentive to quit at 62 instead of 65 and create some job openings which we could use right now.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:36 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:

have you ever been to a VA hospital.....?????

what you claim, maybe 30 years ago, most VA hospitals are quite good nowadays.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
You OBVIOUSLY have NEVER met anyone on SS

YOU CANT AFFORD TO LIVE OFF SS AND MEDICARE IN 99% of this country. Im not even 65 and I know that. This claim is hogwash.

I never stated you can live off SS and medicare solely. There are many well off people with 401K retirement account who will choose to retire early at 62. Collect SS (at reduced benefits). Being eligible for medicare early at age 62 (with the current Senate's proposal) along with their 401K savings.

So think about that. Since those people will not worry about paying for healthcare (healthcare premiums take up a chunk of people incomes in their late 50s/60s if not subsidized by employers).

More people will opt for early social security at 62 if they have option of Medicare at that age plus live off 401K. Most people I know have had their homes paid off for by the time they were 55 year old. They have very little over expenses. They just work cause of the health benefits their employer gives them.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
have you ever been to a VA hospital.....?????

what you claim, maybe 30 years ago, most VA hospitals are quite good nowadays.
Why yes, I am a medical professional who has worked at VA in the midwest and the east coast. Last time I stepped into a VA was November 2009. Is that recent enough for you.

Granted, not all VAs are the same. Some are better than others. But the majority of them are highly inefficient.

Try getting any work/procedures done at a VA after 3PM.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:46 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
well, I am a veteran, and I have always been happy with the service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies