Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 12:52 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,631,678 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my son is doing a essay in Composition class and he is stuck and needs some ideas on the topic.

The topic is " How government should balance law order with individual freedoms"

He has to write a 500 word Persuasive paper. SO if anyone has any ideas to get him going that he can research I would sure appreciate it.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 01:04 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,528,811 times
If we followed the Constitution like the gov. suppose to--
I feel it would solve ALOT of the problems we have going on.
Like illegal immagration---following our Constitution would solve alot of problems. 1 example.
Just my opinion.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post
If we followed the Constitution like the gov. suppose to--
I feel it would solve ALOT of the problems we have going on.
Like illegal immagration---following our Constitution would solve alot of problems. 1 example.
Just my opinion.
Thank you. It is a start for sure.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:08 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,528,811 times
If you look in here, it tells you all the things the gov. doesn't do like they should. ALOT of our problems would go away if they did what they have taken an oath to do.
Click into the 14 charges.

Articles of Freedom

Old 12-09-2009, 01:08 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,272,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Hi all, my son is doing a essay in Composition class and he is stuck and needs some ideas on the topic.

The topic is " How government should balance law order with individual freedoms"

He has to write a 500 word Persuasive paper. SO if anyone has any ideas to get him going that he can research I would sure appreciate it.
Thanks
His freedom ends where my nose begins - unless my nose is trespassing on his person or property.

A federal judge came up and smelled me in the courthouse lobby, and formed an adversarial conclusion based on his prejudice against cigarette smokers - a clear case of ex parte trespass.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:09 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,037,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post

Thanks
Go to the Wayne Allyn Root website:

Wayne Allyn Root's Libertarian Presidential Candidate Website: Root for America!

Old 12-09-2009, 01:27 PM

Thanks for all the information, he has been writing them down. He is getting some good ideas to research.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:47 PM

18,867 posts, read 14,057,900 times
In the mythical kingdom of Yew Ess Aye, where everyone was a king without subjects, it was noted that weak individuals were liable to be attacked by marauders.

This intolerable situation was remedied by a solemn alliance between the kings of the land. They pledged to come to the aid of their neighbors, whose person or property was under attack.

This turned out to be unworkable and unprofitable. Each king was involved with his own business, chores and tasks. He didn't have the time necessary for rushing to the aid of his neighbors. Worse, by leaving his own domain unguarded, he might suffer loss of his own prosperity or injury to his own family and chattels.

The solution - hire "protection".

A subset of kings offered their services, for a fee, and offered their terms and guarantees for good behavior.

This seemed to be a reasonable solution. The Protectors offered to "help" secure (*not guarantee) the rights of the protected parties. Among those rights were life, liberty and absolute ownership. They pledged to submit (surrender sovereignty) to the limitations of the compact, wherein it was explicitly stated that the people's rights and powers (i.e., private property rights) were not to be violated without either securing a superior right or by consent of the protected.

The kings gave passive consent (sufferance) to the compact, and those who set up business as "Protection, Inc." began to construct their guidelines and processes for "helping".

Unfortunately, over time, the "Protectors" lured the kings to "join up" for access to "benefits" of membership. Slowly but surely, the original mind set of servant protectors for the sovereign people was modified into the sovereign protectors of the subject people.

Suddenly, it was asserted that "membership" was a right, not a privilege. And that any restraint on the delegated powers of the "Protection" was not to be tolerated. In fact, all fiscal and moral responsibility was excised from the collective operation of the system. The Collective was superior to the individual. The majority could and did take away the property and liberty of the minority. The needs of the many superseded the rights of the individual.

The descendants of kings, ignorant of their heritage, stood mute, in terror, as their once bountiful land was beset by marauders, pirates, plunderers, parasites, and usurers. Their land, labor and lives were forfeit to the "new" kings, who ruled by fraudulent consent.

One could not oppose the "new" kings of the Collective State, for it had carefully concocted a complex set of rules that prevented any meaningful correction. There was no punishment for the wicked. There was no refuge for the oppressed.

Thus ended the noble experiment in "self government" by sovereigns.

-----------------------
"People are supreme, not the state."
Waring v. the Mayor of Savannah, 60 GA at 93.

"The people of the state, as the successors of its former sovereign, are entitled to all the rights which formerly belonged to the king by his own prerogative."
Lansing v. Smith, (1829) 4 Wendell 9, (NY)

"At the Revolution, the sovereignty devolved on the people and they are truly the sovereigns of the country."
Chisholm v. Georgia, 2 Dall. 440, 463

In America, however, the case is widely different. Our government is founded upon compact. Sovereignty was, and is, in the people.
[ Glass vs The Sloop Betsey, 3 Dall 6 (1794)]

DOMINION - Generally accepted definition of "dominion" is perfect control in right of ownership. The word implies both title and possession and appears to require a complete retention of control over disposition. -Sovereignty; as the dominion of the seas or over a territory.
- - - Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Ed., p.486

SOVEREIGN - "...Having undisputed right to make decisions and act accordingly".
New Webster's Dictionary And Thesaurus, p. 950.

SOVEREIGN - A person, body or state in which independent and supreme authority is vested...
Black's Law Dictionary Dictionary, Sixth Edition, p. 1395.

SOVEREIGNTY - ...By "Sovereignty", in its largest sense is meant supreme, absolute, uncontrollable power, the absolute right to govern.
Black's Law Dictionary Dictionary, Sixth Edition, p. 1396.

In the U.S.A., the people are the supreme, absolute, and uncontrollable power.

In contrast, "citizens" are subjects.

CITIZEN - ... Citizens are members of a political community who, in their associative capacity, have established or submitted themselves to the dominion of government for the promotion of the general welfare and the protection of their individual as well as collective rights.
- - - Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Ed. p.244

SUBJECT - One that owes allegiance to a sovereign and is governed by his laws.
...Men in free governments are subjects as well as citizens; as citizens they enjoy rights and franchises; as subjects they are bound to obey the laws. The term is little used, in this sense, in countries enjoying a republican form of government.
- - - Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, p. 1425

"... the term 'citizen,' in the United States, is analogous to the term "subject" in the common law; the change of phrase has resulted from the change in government. ... he who before was a "subject of the King" is now a citizen of the State."
State v. Manuel, 20 N.C. 144 (1838)

Old 12-09-2009, 02:58 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,547,835 times
He could research government response to security threats and look at the how we managed the Japanese, Germans, Patriot Act, decisions about handling of detainess like John Walker Lindh etc.

He could also go more local and look at police responses during a crisis like hurricanes/riots etc. Some of the nice freedoms get lost sometimes in a crisis.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:17 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,936,824 times
Son needs to do his own homework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies