Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:24 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
The Obama administration is warning Congress that if it doesn't move to regulate greenhouse gases, the Environmental Protection Agency will take a "command-and-control" role over the process in a way that could hurt business.

The warning, from a top White House economic official who spoke Tuesday on condition of anonymity, came on the eve of EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson's address to the international conference on climate change in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Jackson, however, tried to strike a tone of cooperation in her address Wednesday, explaining that the EPA's new powers to regulate greenhouse gases will be used to complement legislation pending in Congress, not replace it.

"This is not an 'either-or' moment. It's a 'both-and' moment," she said.

But while administration officials have long said they prefer Congress take action on climate change, the economic official who spoke with reporters Tuesday night made clear that the EPA will not wait and is prepared to act on its own.

if the EPA overrides the wishes of the american people, congress should just shut them down!

What you fail to grasp is that the function of all branches of the federal government is to act in the national interest. They are not there to react in knee-jerk fashion to volatile public opinion polls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 08:28 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,315,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
it would be a fallacy to think that the legislative branch represents the wishes of the American people, and the executive branch does not.

i say good for the EPA.
Another big government tin foil hat wearer.

The EPA enforces and acts on laws passed by congress, they are not a functionary or part of Obamas dream team.
Do you see the difference?

Old 12-10-2009, 08:31 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
If corporate interests threaten our nation, congress should cut off their welfare.
Exactly! I can't rep you enough for that!!!

Old 12-10-2009, 08:34 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
What started as good intentions, has just become a pandering cash cow.

It is all about the money.

Regulation and taxes = MONEY = MONEY = MONEY

Our government does not earn money it only spends it. It is spent on private industries, playing the regulations to their advantage.

No different than Cap & Tax, and the big profits Al Gore sees for his companies, that the the rules do not apply to. Look at all the sweetheart deals being made with taxpayer money!!! It is right there in your face, and yet the majority just close their eyes.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
If corporate interests threaten our nation, congress should cut off their welfare.

Go to the source, which is our government acting as the benefactor

Old 12-10-2009, 08:37 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Another big government tin foil hat wearer.
Personal attacks are a hallmark of children.

Quote:
The EPA enforces and acts on laws passed by congress, they are not a functionary or part of Obamas dream team.
I don't know what a "dream team" is, but the EPA administrator is in Obama's cabinet.

I also know that Congress has passed multiple clean air acts, which give a very significant amount of leeway to the EPA.

I also know that George Bush's administration gutted the EPA, and made it minimally functional.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:39 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
What you fail to grasp is that the function of all branches of the federal government is to act in the national interest. They are not there to react in knee-jerk fashion to volatile public opinion polls.
Hmm, I believe they still answer to the people and we should never forget that. Shut them down.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I don't know what a "dream team" is, but the EPA administrator is in Obama's cabinet.
Sure you do but...
By your thinking,from Obamas mouth to law?

Old 12-10-2009, 08:44 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Sure you do but...
The last time I checked, the Dream Team was the 1992 olympic basketball team.

I realize that some people use it to describe a group of technocrats, but I don't know why. I am guessing you are using it in a mocking sense. If I were a betting man, I'd say you probably heard it on television somewhere, like Limbaugh or O'Reilley or maybe CNN or Fox or MSNBC. I wouldn't know because I don't watch partisan entertainment news.

Quote:
By your thinking,from Obamas mouth to law?

Yes indeed, he is the leader of the executive branch, which has a significant role in the application of law.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
The last time I checked, the Dream Team was the 1992 olympic basketball team.

I realize it is used to describe a group of technocrats, but within the context of your statements it doesn't seem to mean anything at all.

Yes indeed, he is the leader of the executive branch, which has a significant role in the application of law.
Loosen up the hat, maybe you'll think clearer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies