Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:17 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times

Advertisements

The Obama administration is warning Congress that if it doesn't move to regulate greenhouse gases, the Environmental Protection Agency will take a "command-and-control" role over the process in a way that could hurt business.

The warning, from a top White House economic official who spoke Tuesday on condition of anonymity, came on the eve of EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson's address to the international conference on climate change in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Jackson, however, tried to strike a tone of cooperation in her address Wednesday, explaining that the EPA's new powers to regulate greenhouse gases will be used to complement legislation pending in Congress, not replace it.

"This is not an 'either-or' moment. It's a 'both-and' moment," she said.

But while administration officials have long said they prefer Congress take action on climate change, the economic official who spoke with reporters Tuesday night made clear that the EPA will not wait and is prepared to act on its own.

if the EPA overrides the wishes of the american people, congress should just shut them down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 01:21 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
That would be impossible. however, congress should update the Clean Air Act to exclude CO2 as a poltutant.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:40 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
O and his agency is acting like a dictator would...congress should shut them both down, disband the EPA and impeach O...

Old 12-09-2009, 01:40 PM

The Supreme Court has ruled that the EPA has the authority to regulate CO2.

washington post:
The Obama administration moved closer Monday to issuing regulations on greenhouse gases, a step that would enable it to limit emissions across the economy even if Congress does not pass climate legislation.

it is ironic that congress seems to be coming to its senses on some issues, i.e., global warming and glass steagall, and now we may have direct intervention to thwart congress.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:55 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,533,012 times
When this will shut down ALOT more businesses or drive them out of the U.S.

Don't you think thats what has been happening and will continue to happen. I feel that is there goal.
To bring us to our knees and beg for the FEd. gov. to help. Little do they know---we know they created this mess.
They can bring us down so we agree to the North American Union, the only way they say we can be saved.
I refuse to give up my rights as an American citizen.

Articles of Freedom

Read and learn what they have been doing. Because it sure looks like there driving us to this.

httpwww.americanpolicy.orgpdf2008NAUFS8.5x11%208%2 0page

North American Union Implanting microchips in national ID cards

North American Union to Replace the USA - HUMAN EVENTS

North America's SuperCorridor Coalition, Inc

Old 12-10-2009, 05:43 AM

But the world is not going to cooperate, and what we therefore have is an extraordinarily dubious reading of the Clean Air Act by both the agency and the court. Essentially, they are contending the law's purpose was for the government to behave futilely to address a distant problem having nothing to do with pollution.
The futility, of course, is just half of it. The other half is the cost of the futile action. A reported statement of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce pretty much tells the tale. It says of the EPA decision that there could be "a top-down, command-and-control regime that will choke off growth by adding new mandates to virtually every major construction and renovation project." Some utilities are already making plans to shut down plants, it is reported. America's businesses could turn out to be one endangered species the EPA doesn't much care about.

of course this is insanity- to hurt US business and destroy US jobs in an already fragile economy. government seems hell bent on regulating the heck out of manufacturing but not at all interested in some common sense regulation of wall street finance / gambling. i wonder why that is?

as well, government partnering with private enterprise doesn't seem to be working out too well for taxpayers:

But there are risks whenever the government sets up shop with private companies, and that became glaringly obvious on Wednesday. The Treasury Department suspended its operations with one of its private partners, the money management firm TCW Group.

TCW, it seems, is finding itself in a bit of trouble. Last week, it fired Jeffrey Gundlach, its chief investment officer, according to Bloomberg, amid what appears to have been a power struggle. Since then, 14 of the firm’s 65 investment professionals in its fixed income division have quit, and the group is talking to clients about forming its own competing firm.

Money is following the investment managers out the door: Clients have pulled $1.7 billion from TCW funds.

What does this mean for TCW’s partner, the Treasury Department and, by extension, the US taxpayer? Trouble. (minyanville)

Old 12-10-2009, 05:50 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Lightbulb A better idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
if the EPA overrides the wishes of the american people, congress should just shut them down!

If corporate interests threaten our nation, congress should cut off their welfare.

http://www.needlenose.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/corporate-welfare.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-10-2009, 08:13 AM

2,709 posts, read 1,039,932 times
I called my congressman and asked him to amend the Clean Air Act to put limits on the EPA.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:16 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan10 View Post
I called my congressman and asked him to amend the Clean Air Act to put limits on the EPA.
Bravo!
I am doing the same.
This rogue agency needs to be reigned in.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:19 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
it would be a fallacy to think that the legislative branch represents the wishes of the American people, and the executive branch does not.

i say good for the EPA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies