U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:58 PM

44,884 posts, read 31,010,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Who will want to push harder on a shopping cart when you can just grab someone else's cart without that extra drag? They would do better putting solar panels on the parking lot. More power and cooler cars from the shade....DUH?

The average human is lucky to push with 1/4 horsepower. One horsepower is 746 Watts so you will need a lot of customers running around pushing carts to even power one refrigeration unit. Oh and I forgot that most electric devices are less than 80% efficient. Get real, people!
Friday we went to two Walmarts and had to move carts out the parking place in both of them. Of course, we wheeled them inside and used them but I wonder how they would have performed their duty out of line like that. One of them had been in a ramming accident with a car and I think it lost.

What would happen if the charging wheel needed oil and wouldn't turn, just drag along. I think that going green is going to the heads of some people.

I say that green may be good but doing crap like this to get some money for this kind of thing isn't what I consider very smart, just aimed at making somebody some money.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 11:01 PM

11,944 posts, read 13,856,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
What will these morons come up with next? Of course I'm sure they will get a big fat grant from the government to create "green jobs" or whatever these fools can think of.

e-cart Electricity Generating Shopping Trolley by Kitae Pak & Inyong Jung » Yanko Design
You're being silly. From a practical standpoint, I can't help but wonder what would happen to these carts if they took the abuse americans give them in parking lots-- or homeless making off with super deluxe green wheels hahahahaa.

The proof will be in the pudding- an asian country footing the bill means it's no skin off your nose.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:15 AM

41,817 posts, read 46,644,540 times
Maybe they put giant Hamster wheel at entrance of store?

I'm all for innovation and good ideas but this isn't one of them, if a fitness center had gym equipment that harnessed the power of people working out you have a good idea.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:30 AM

27,236 posts, read 44,150,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
I'm guessing all you fools drive hybrid's thinking your saving money too. Oh and the planet. You go to your moonbat store and pay higher prices so your carts can charge a AAA battery.
Actually, costs would be lower. Because they'd have less overhead to pay. Funny how cost accounting works.

Anyway, what do you suggest? Just letting that kinetic energy go to waste? Burning calories for nothing?

Old 12-21-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Just letting that kinetic energy go to waste? Burning calories for nothing?
To produce energy the carts would have to offer resistance on top of the resistance they already have, energy is not free. They would be harder to push. Do you think my 90 year old Grandmother should have to expend energy needlessly to pay the stores electric bill?

Old 12-21-2009, 12:46 AM

The wheels turn, that can generate a current.

Your 90 year old grandmother probably drives around in an electric cart.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The wheels turn, that can generate a current.

Your 90 year old grandmother probably drives around in an electric cart.
Those wheels need to provide resistance to generate current, that's how all generators work.

My Grandmother actually enjoys her trips to the store, she was dancing at her 90th birthday. She's not your typical 90 year old woman.

--------edit---------

For example a train when going down a hill instead of using mechanical braking typical of most vehicles will instead apply that energy to drive a generator, the generator offers the resistance needed to slow down the train and recharges the batteries as a bonus. That's one reason trains are so efficient at moving freight compared to trucking.

Last edited by thecoalman; 12-21-2009 at 01:06 AM..

Old 12-21-2009, 12:58 AM

Friction provides all the resistance necessary.

If carts just rolled by themselves, it wouldn't work. You have to overcome the effects of inertia, a cart at rest wants to remain at rest.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:07 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,045,717 times
I thought this thread was going to be about a hot new metal band...
Moonbat Shopping Carts...

Old 12-21-2009, 01:15 AM

So the eco cart people have invented the fabled free energy machine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies