Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 03:32 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

You're not just going to give one push and stop, you're going to provide constant input. Think about how pedometers work, how "shake lights" work. Simple transfer of kinetic energy to electrical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 03:51 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
There are pages and pages of threads where you, and I'm certain others, have used the term "moonbat" - I have no desire or time to search each of them.

Obviously it's negative.
Says more than I need to know.

Off to the twit filter.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:58 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
I'm guessing all you fools drive hybrid's thinking your saving money too. Oh and the planet. You go to your moonbat store and pay higher prices so your carts can charge a AAA battery.

Damn right! The Wright Brothers should've made their 120' flight and gone back to Ohio, people knew if man traveled over 60mph he would perish . Trying to improve technology is a fool's errand.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:25 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
There are pages and pages of threads where you, and I'm certain others, have used the term "moonbat" - I have no desire or time to search each of them.
Maybe this will help?

Let me google that for you

Old 12-21-2009, 05:12 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Who will want to push harder on a shopping cart when you can just grab someone else's cart without that extra drag? They would do better putting solar panels on the parking lot. More power and cooler cars from the shade....DUH?

The average human is lucky to push with 1/4 horsepower. One horsepower is 746 Watts so you will need a lot of customers running around pushing carts to even power one refrigeration unit. Oh and I forgot that most electric devices are less than 80% efficient. Get real, people!

Now you've done it.... attempting to confuse the confused with actual facts based on science instead of letting them continue with their feel good self absorbed emotions. Shame on you.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:16 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Nope, it's not free--you have to expend energy to get energy. Energy you'd be expending anyhow.

NO...you're wrong.

Yes it takes a certain amount of energy (work) to push a cart around. If you want to push a cart around AND generate electricity also ,it takes additional energy (work on the pushers part) to do it.

And BTW...Friction has nothing to do with it...if you add a generator to the cart it will require a certain Torque at some lower limit RPM to achieve the stated goal.

"This assumes you HAVE to add resistance over the force of friction. You do not. Turning the wheels would generate the electricity."

I'm guessing you missed junior high school science class.

The is no free lunch

Last edited by JBrown; 12-21-2009 at 05:28 AM..

Old 12-21-2009, 05:22 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
What will these morons come up with next? Of course I'm sure they will get a big fat grant from the government to create "green jobs" or whatever these fools can think of.

e-cart Electricity Generating Shopping Trolley by Kitae Pak & Inyong Jung » Yanko Design
I think they're gorgeous, practical and helpful. They're not supposed to run the entire store, just contribute a little rather than contribute nothing.

What is it that you resent about them? Did your design not win?

Old 12-21-2009, 05:38 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I think they're gorgeous, practical and helpful. They're not supposed to run the entire store, just contribute a little rather than contribute nothing.
The extra amount energy you would have to exert to push one around aside the other question that would need to be answered is how much extra energy goes into producing one. For example you're going to need battery storage which themselves are not exactly environmentally friendly and require energy to produce, you have generators that need to be produced and many other factors things. All that would have to factored into the life of one of these carts.

Where Ideas like this make a lot of sense is when you have a lot of energy being used that is being wasted, the fitness center I pointed out before would make perfect sense as does a train that needs be slowed down or similar technology in cars where they harness the energy during braking. Those all make sense becsue you have a large amount of energy that is being wasted.

This is only little bit of energy and it's not being created from wasted energy.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:46 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
NO...you're wrong.

Yes it takes a certain amount of energy (work) to push a cart around. If you want to push a cart around AND generate electricity also ,it takes additional energy (work on the pushers part) to do it.

And BTW...Friction has nothing to do with it...if you add a generator to the cart it will require a certain Torque at some lower limit RPM to achieve the stated goal.

"This assumes you HAVE to add resistance over the force of friction. You do not. Turning the wheels would generate the electricity."

I'm guessing you missed junior high school science class.

The is no free lunch

You're already spinning those wheels. Ever hear of inducing current in a wire?

Old 12-21-2009, 12:56 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You failed physics right?

That's debatable and depends, again more resistance will produce more energy but it's harder to push. If the extra cost of the cart, the extra energy needed to create it and the energy expended for the other things required doesn't produce net energy over the life of the cart then it would be wasteful. My guess is the net energy is going to be negative since people aren't going to be happy pushing a brick around. Do some research on "life cycle". Just because something can produce energy doesn't mean it's feasible.
Resistance? Electricity is produced by moving a coil through a magnetic field. Resistance has nothing to do with it. Indeed, it would seem that adding resistance would produce less electricity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies