Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should English be the Official Language of the US?
Yes 122 79.74%
No 31 20.26%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 05:43 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,716,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
A large segment of those born and raised in America need to learn english as well. Too many have problems with 5th grade level english. I find this unacceptable.
I've had grown adults ask me how to spell clutch. Many don't know the difference between break and brake. How often do you see people using your when it should be you're? How about there, their, and they're?
I work in a hospital where the people sign in to see a doctor in the ER. Reason for seeing doctor: stomick ack. How do you spell breath?
A work colleague didn't sleep well and told me that he has a hard time 'staying woke'.
Before Americans insist that foreigners learn english, it might be a good idea if they take their own advice.

So, now I done did wrote my post. Its late, it be time for me to sleep. If yo don't believe you kin axe my mom.
I love it and agree that people born and raised here need to have a better command of the English language.

It's troublesome to see how the language continues to be corrupted even by educated professionals. A classic example I'll never forget is the memo I received at work announcing the results of a meeting..."At John and I's meeting it was decided that..."

I hate to hear "me" and "I" used wrong. It's not "John and me are going..."; correct way to say it is: "John and I are going...".

Yes, you done wrote your post, and it gave me a good laugh. Thanks. Rep'd you for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 10:31 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,254,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
[LEFT]Should English be the Official language of the United States? Meaning that ALL immigrants would need to learn the language upon entering this country. No dual signage, driver’s license tests, voting and all other government documents would be in English only...etc etc
Yes or No and why?[/LEFT]
English IS the official language of the United States. Who cares if someone doesn't speak English? People move to other countries all the time without the language. Dual signage is fine what's the big deal? Also I've been to other countries where I didn't speak the language and was grateful for dual signs. Now I think English proficiency should be required for citizenship but you know there are plenty of American citizens who were born in this country speaking another language.

Every US citizen has a right to vote. Now should they know how to read English by the time they are voting age? Of course but it isn't the government's place to force anyone to learn English.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:07 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,652,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
English IS the official language of the United States. Who cares if someone doesn't speak English? People move to other countries all the time without the language. Dual signage is fine what's the big deal? Also I've been to other countries where I didn't speak the language and was grateful for dual signs. Now I think English proficiency should be required for citizenship but you know there are plenty of American citizens who were born in this country speaking another language.

Every US citizen has a right to vote. Now should they know how to read English by the time they are voting age? Of course but it isn't the government's place to force anyone to learn English.

Then whose place is it? The most basic of human needs is the ability to communicate with one another --- if we are all speaking our 'native' languages then how are we to know one another? Follow the same laws? Become one people? We can't - we will become an even further segregated country, and I can't believe that anyone thinks that is a good idea.

English is a priority and should be pushed by the government. Dual signage -- what for? Which language gets the benefit of being the 'second' unofficial language of the land? Who gets to decide that?

I am all for learning another language. The only language that should be necessary to learn should be English. Any other should be left at the discretion of the people.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:20 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,777,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Yet it's okay to force us to learn Spanish to accomodate the immigrants who refuse to ever learn English? Try finding a job as a social worker today and if you aren't fluent in Spanish, you can forget it.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:39 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,074,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Will having an official language hurt anything? No. The US (unlike other countries) only has rather tenuous cultural ties to one another. We are not a homogenous nation like South Korea for example. No, we are land of many backgrounds, many cultures, many languages. That is why it is imperative that we have a sole language to bind us together. If we cannot communicate with one another then how can we possibly call ourselves 'one nation'? We couldn't.
We've never had an official language before. Used to be you couldn't order bread in Holland, MI without speaking Dutch... or just pointing and smiling.

Gestures and smiles are a common language. In fact, I'd bet that a lot of political/sports/social/stupid arguments have never gotten started because the two potential arguers couldn't speak a common language well enough to get offensive. Many times being able to talk to somone does less to "bind us together" than having to use goodwill and hand gestures.

There are plenty of cohesive countries where multiple languages are spoken. In Slovakia, for instance, the city dwellers cannot communicate with country folk, because the dialects are so different. A Chinese speaker can't really understand a Cantonese speaker, yet they live and work together.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:02 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,652,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
We've never had an official language before. Used to be you couldn't order bread in Holland, MI without speaking Dutch... or just pointing and smiling.

Gestures and smiles are a common language. In fact, I'd bet that a lot of political/sports/social/stupid arguments have never gotten started because the two potential arguers couldn't speak a common language well enough to get offensive. Many times being able to talk to somone does less to "bind us together" than having to use goodwill and hand gestures.

There are plenty of cohesive countries where multiple languages are spoken. In Slovakia, for instance, the city dwellers cannot communicate with country folk, because the dialects are so different. A Chinese speaker can't really understand a Cantonese speaker, yet they live and work together.

Mmmm, actually no. They may speak various dialects but they also share one familiar language. In China that would be mandarin. Those that are unable to speak Mandarin are not going to be the teachers, the scientists, the businessmen, or the leaders - they would be the peasants with no hope of elevating oneself. It should also be noted that unlike English and German or Spanish or French, no matter what dialect of Chinese one speaks they all share the same written language. I am also sure that in Slovakia - with the possible exception of the Roma, the rest are able to communicate in a common language.

Yes, it would be a lovely world if we could just nod and point and get our intent across. I take that back -- nodding and pointing and smiling only offers a very, very shallow understanding of one another. Non verbal communication can only bring segregation, bias, and distrust. Why would you want that? Why would you romanticize that?

As to English not being the official language of the US - well, it is the language of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. It is the lingua franca of this nation and most parts of the world. Why not encourage its use? Why not make it official? Why encourage a linguistic cluster f?

Old 12-24-2009, 02:14 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,531,302 times
Yes, English should be the offical language. It is the one unifying factor in a diverse nation. To say liberals oppose having English as the offical language shows an ignorance of what liberals think. The GOP dare propose English as the offical language anymore than the democrats. During Bush's 8 years did the GOP once even have a bill on this get to a vote? Seems to me candidate Bush campaigned speaking Spanish.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:27 PM

313 posts, read 344,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yet it's okay to force us to learn Spanish to accomodate the immigrants who refuse to ever learn English? Try finding a job as a social worker today and if you aren't fluent in Spanish, you can forget it.
Who the hell is forcing you to learn Spanish?
Have you literally looked for work as a social worker?

Old 12-24-2009, 02:45 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,054,874 times
The great nations and empires (and even tribes) of history often allowed outsiders into their ranks IF the newcomers chose to accept the language, customs and pledge allegiance to their adopted home.

I think its corporate America throwing another smoke screen over American citizens. They love illegals and hb visas holders and twist political correctness when citizens get upset about this.

It is crazy that people can come here (even illegally) and get jobs, access taxpayer services, and have businesses that refuse to cater to those outside of their ethnic group.

Make English the official language already.

By the way the definition of an American is not or at least should not be associated with any specific group that has an geographic origin in a specific continent.

There are plenty of Asian, Latin and African immigrants that have made great sacrifices to get here. They sometimes are fleeing from violence, oppression and lack of opportunity. They and their children can't imagine living anywhere else than America. These people are no different than the northern and western Europeans of centuries past. They are no more for illegal immigration or turning the U.S. into a replica of failed states anymore than old time Americans.

I hate it how some race supremacists try to hijack the idea of who is to be considered an American. American should be defined as someone that feels the U.S. is their home and pledges allegiance to it (though with our past few regimes, I'm questioning the sanity of this) and speaks English. What they look like and where their ancestors originated from should not be used to exclude anyone.

Last edited by kovert; 12-24-2009 at 02:56 PM..

Old 12-24-2009, 05:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,777,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Source please. I've been to Holland, Michigan and I can tell you everyone there speaks English or Spanish. Notice you don't have to press any number for Dutch either. The people from Holland did not refuse to learn the language of this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies