Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2009, 09:42 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer222 View Post
rac⋅ism

  /ˈreɪsɪzəm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [rey-siz-uhm] Show IPA Use racism in a Sentence

See web results for racism

See images of racism

–noun 1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

Please explain how at any time in the history of this country black people have ruled? They are 12% of the population, whites are 78%. They represent an even smaller portion of power positions. How possibly can the black race be superior and rule?
Racism is a belief system which is not depended upon reality. Anyone can harbor the belief that their own race or culture is inherently inferior and that said group have the rights to rule over the inferior group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
It is not about predisposition. You are making inferences about what is being said. No one said white people are inherently racist. I would say you don't fully understand that racism involves power over another race. Blacks do not have power on a large scale over whites.

You implied I was spoon fed something and do not appreciate that assumption. I suggest you read a number of books written by cornell west. It may open you up a little.

Again in no way am I suggessting blacks cannot be hateful, prejudice etc etc etc but the black race does not have the power to hold down the white race.
I never stated that YOU were spoon-fed anything. My relative was spoon-fed the drivel that white folks are inherently evil. I was just stating that the whole "white people can only be racist" falls along the same lines as "whites are inherently evil." When you are talking about one race welding power over another, we are talking about racial oppression. Racism is just a belief system based on the assumption that your culture or race is superior to others. This belief system does not require actual rule over the group that is deemed "inferior".

Old 12-12-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
this country is white european dominated as were all the examples I gave. Are you arguing that?
Do you know of the history of the Irish, Italians and Polish in this country? They were NOT part of the europeans that welded power in this country. Guess now all people with fair skin is now part of the "white europeans" that are responsible for all of the racism, slavery and oppression that took place throughout history.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:32 PM

433 posts, read 261,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Racism is a belief system which is not depended upon reality. Anyone can harbor the belief that their own race or culture is inherently inferior and that said group have the rights to rule over the inferior group.

you mean dependent? and how does an inferior group rule the inferior group? I am quite confused now

Old 12-12-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I never stated that YOU were spoon-fed anything. My relative was spoon-fed the drivel that white folks are inherently evil. I was just stating that the whole "white people can only be racist" falls along the same lines as "whites are inherently evil." When you are talking about one race welding power over another, we are talking about racial oppression. Racism is just a belief system based on the assumption that your culture or race is superior to others. This belief system does not require actual rule over the group that is deemed "inferior".

I am really starting to doubt you have amsters degree by your use of words. Welding is what people do with metals. Do you mean wielding ? I gave you a definition. Again please provide one example of the black race in america being dominant over the white race.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Do you know of the history of the Irish, Italians and Polish in this country? They were NOT part of the europeans that welded power in this country. Guess now all people with fair skin is now part of the "white europeans" that are responsible for all of the racism, slavery and oppression that took place throughout history.

columbus was italian. DO you deny that it was white europeans who committed all the mentioned travesties??

Old 12-12-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:

true those ethnicites had hard times as well but nothing compared to natives or african americans. It was also still done by other europeans.

Last edited by Dreamer222; 12-12-2009 at 11:11 PM..

Old 12-13-2009, 01:01 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,971 times
Quote:
The whole "only whites can be racists" nonsense falls along the same lines as "all white folks are inherently evil", which is what a family member was spoon-fed in a college course she took.
Wow... I don't doubt it. I'm just a little shocked that this kind of psuedo-science could still creep into the halls of "Higher Learning." What college was it if you don't mind? I'm curious.

You know, I could actually see something like this being taught at Howard or Moorehouse. When I lived in D.C. I knew a few guys who went to Howard... revisionist historians every last one of them.

Have a nice day!

Old 12-13-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
you mean dependent? and how does an inferior group rule the inferior group? I am quite confused now
A belief that you have the rights to rule over another group is not the same as actually having the POWER to rule over another group.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
I am really starting to doubt you have amsters degree by your use of words. Welding is what people do with metals. Do you mean wielding ? I gave you a definition. Again please provide one example of the black race in america being dominant over the white race.
What's an "amsters" degree? Oh ... You mean master's degree. Guess that is an example of careless typing which we all are guilty of every now and then. Does not mean that neither of us are uneducated but that we need to pay more attention to our editing before we hit the submit button.

It seems that you and I have different concepts of what the term "racism" means. You believe that the term requires that the perpetrators hold actual power over another group whereas I believe the term is solely about a belief that one's culture or race is superior to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies