Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 03:33 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,008,619 times

Advertisements

thousands of men go against the law now and do not pay child support, if they were legally allowed not to pay child support than thousand more be added to that number, leaving their children with less of everything in life. there is a segment of men that do and if legally sanctioned would gladly disown their own children even if they had been in a marriage for decades. it is an easy way to hurt the woman. it takes two as everyone knows. besides life isn't fair is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 03:40 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
If women get a choice, then men should get a choice. That choice should have teeth to it though. If a father walks away from a child, and the mother has it anyway, then the father can't simply show up 10 years later and want to have something to do with his child.

No, if you walk away, thats it. You shouldn't have to pay child support, because if you make it plain to the woman that it is her choice, then its all her resposiblity. But as I said before, that means nothing to do with the child ever.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:46 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
The man's choice is to not have sex if he doesn't want the consequences.
A woman does not get pregnant without sperm.

If a man is the sperm donor and a fetus, and eventually a child, is produced - he is then responsible for the outcome.
It is his genetic material that has created the child.
Until he can carry a child to term in his own body, he has no say.

Please refer to the thread from earlier this week on the identical topic.

The answers and discussion will be the same.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:24 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,189,292 times
This subject has components of both a legal and a physical nature. Physically, pregnancy is something woman do that men can't. It contributed to them being dubbed "the weaker sex" but also gave them a certain power that men can not control. It seems unfair because it is...but that's what we are and nothing can change it.

The legal stuff can be abused by both sides, no doubt. I would like to see some kind of reform myself. But as a mother of a son I always taught him that he will be at the mercy of a woman if he should ever get one pregnant, hoping that would make him think twice (or thrice) about his actions. Knowing that he can't say he wasn't warned. No man can but it usually takes getting caught in the situation for guys to realize what it really means, then they want a do-over.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:56 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
The man's choice is to not have sex if he doesn't want the consequences.
A woman does not get pregnant without sperm.

If a man is the sperm donor and a fetus, and eventually a child, is produced - he is then responsible for the outcome.
It is his genetic material that has created the child.
Until he can carry a child to term in his own body, he has no say.

Please refer to the thread from earlier this week on the identical topic.

The answers and discussion will be the same.
see, I want to agree w/ this, but women do have a lot of options that men don't have. let's say that, for whatever reason, a woman chooses not to take the Pill and a condom is the only source of BC. it breaks or otherwise fails. a woman faced w/ a broken condom and an unwanted child has multiple options:

-the morning after pill
-an abortion
-adoption
-Safe Havens where babies can be abandoned w/o penalty

a guy faced w/ the same issue of a broken condom and an unwanted child is screwed b/c he has no say. the woman can go have the baby regardless of his feeling and force him to pay up. and this has likely happened more times than some women choose to acknowledge and it sucks for these men to be forced to care for a child they don't want when women have options if they are pregnant w/ a child they don't want

it's a tough call. men should have some option, but on the other hand, there's a risk of some men abusing that. there's nothing keeping a man from spreading his seed w/o a care in the world if there was a way to relinquish all responsibility, yet a woman has a lot of tough choices to make if she finds herself pregnant and can't relinquish responsibility as easily.

in regards to your quoted comments, that's like saying there's no need for abortions or the morning after pill b/c "The (wo)man's choice is to not have sex if (s)he doesn't want the consequences." women have options, men don't

I don't have an answer for this, other than to say everyone should be on multiple forms of BC (condoms, Pill, whatever)

Old 12-12-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
see, I want ot agree w/ this, but women do have a lot of options that men don't have. let's say that, for whatever reason, a woman chooses not to take the Pill and a condom is the only source of BC. it breaks or otherwise fails. a woman faced w/ a broken condom and an unwanted child has multiple options:

-the morning after pill
-an abortion
-adoption
-Safe Havens where babies can be abandoned w/o penalty

a guy faced w/ the same issue of a broken condom and an unwanted child is screwed b/c he has no say. the woman can go have the baby regardless of his feeling and force him to pay up. and this has likely happened more times than some women choose to acknowledge and it sucks for these men to be forced to care for a child they don't want when women have options if they are pregnant w/ a child they don't want

it's a tough call. men should have some option, but on the other hand, there's a risk of some men abusing that. there's nothing keeping a man from spreading his seed w/o a care in the world if there was a way to relinquish all responsibility, yet a woman has a lot of tough choices to make if she finds herself pregnant and can't relinquish responsibility as easily.

I don't have an answer for this, other than to say everyone should be on multiple forms of BC (condoms, Pill, whatever)
this is the exact reason why men do have a choice! they can sleep with women they know and have had this type of conversation before hand. men are not so stupid as they don't know they too are taking a chance that birth controll might fail. if you play you pay as they say and one can only hope to be involved with a person of like mindedness

Old 12-12-2009, 06:03 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
this is the exact reason why men do have a choice! they can sleep with women they know and have had this type of conversation before hand. men are not so stupid as they don't know they too are taking a chance that birth controll might fail. if you play you pay as they say and one can only hope to be involved with a person of like mindedness
in that case, why provide abortions or morning after Pills if you're not raped? "you play, you pay", right?

in case anyone assumes otherwise, I am pro choice, but sadly, abortion is all too often used as a method of BC. women are not stupid either and should know how to protect themselves against pregnancy as much as men should. and there is a subset of women that "trap" men or continue a pregnancy despite the man saying no and expect a payout once the baby is born

Old 12-12-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
in that case, why provide abortions or morning after Pills if you're not raped? "you play, you pay", right?

in case anyone assumes otherwise, I am pro choice, but sadly, abortion is all too often used as a method of BC. women are not stupid either and should know how to protect themselves against pregnancy as much as men should. and there is a subset of women that "trap" men or continue a pregnancy despite the man saying no and expect a payout once the baby is born
you provide for all alternatives because mistakes and accidents happen. I would refute that abortion is used as birth control by most women that have an abortion. I do agree there are women who keep take their pregnancy to term no matter what the man wants. which is one less abortion. as for 'trapping" their man so one might get a payout all I can say is the pay out is not much money at all. I also have not a lot of sympathy for people who are so stupid they would consider this as an option. I also have no sympathy for men who sleep with women they don't know very well, then cry fould when things don't go their own way. until a man can carry a baby then the woman's wants trumps all else

Old 12-12-2009, 08:11 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,163 times
1. Any pregnant person has the right to have an abortion.
2. Custodial parents should get child support from non-custodial parents.
3. Alimony has nothing to do with children.

All those things are true without regard to gender.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurian View Post
I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with the "pro-choice" movement. I'm pretty sure they're more concerned about ensuring female-privilege over men's rights.

No, I'm not saying that a husband should be able to force a woman to bear a child if she wants an abortion and he doesn't.

However, if the man DOESN'T want a child, he's screwed.

A woman has the legal right to get an abortion if she doesn't want to bear the burden of raising a child. Even if she doesn't want to get an abortion, she can abandon the child at a hospital, fire department and police department under "Safe Haven" Laws and face absolutely no legal repercussions.

And yet a man can be forced to pay child support to a child support and alimony for a child he never wanted and alimony to a woman he doesn't love, and go to jail if he refuses to. He can even be forced to pay for a child that's not biologically his (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/22/ma...pagewanted=all)

Clearly men do not have a choice in this matter.

I think there's leeway for a trade off however. I will 100% totally support abortions under any circumstance for whoever for whatever the reason, if we do away with forced child-support and alimony.
Interesting view: boy have you opened a can of worms though.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies