Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 10:03 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,052 times

Advertisements

When Robert Ringer wrote his book - Restoring the American Dream - way back in 1979, reading it swung me to the brighter side of politics. Seems as though, now, it's cheaper to rent than own, as a lot of folks are discovering. Course the slumlords et al will benefit, and lose in the long run, but then again, why not? I own no real estate and at my age, I'll continue to rent. But I digress.

Quote:
PALMDALE, Calif. -- Schoolteacher Shana Richey misses the playroom she decorated with Glamour Girl decals for her daughters. Fireman Jay Fernandez misses the custom putting green he installed in his backyard.

But ever since they quit paying their mortgages and walked away from their homes, they've discovered that giving up on the American dream has its benefits.

Both now live on the 3100 block of Club Rancho Drive in Palmdale, where a terrible housing market lets them rent luxurious homes -- one with a pool for the kids, the other with a golf-course view -- for a fraction of their former monthly payments.
At least I sold all my stuff, instead of forfeiting, so in that respect my credit has not been injured.

American Dream 2: Default, Then Rent - WSJ.com

The interactive graphic is very interesting, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 11:25 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,900,516 times
in a van...down by the river.....smiling...drinking a cup of hot coffee....John America is owned by no one....he tells the Institutions, and corporations....to...go %##@** themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies