Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 04:56 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,191,104 times

Advertisements

Here are my predictions if the religious right were to ever get complete power in the USA, which could happen if Obama screws up bad enough and this country elects Palin as President and congress is overtaken by ultra-conservative Republicans.

-Science would be banned from schools and be replaced with Bible classes
-Any scientist who openly denied a literal 6-day creation that occurred 6000 years ago would be put on a watch list
-Divorce would be banned
-Gays would be tortured and killed if they refused to be "cured" by a group such as Exodus International
-Everyone would be required to attend church and the government would track it by a church membership ID card
-All churches that denied a literal, fundamentalist interpretation of the Bible would be closed, non-Christian religious groups would have to go underground
-Alcohol would be banned
-Women would be banned from holding full-time jobs if they had children under age 16
-The prerequisite for holding political office would be to have once been a full time minister i.e. Huckabee
-The Constitution would be amended repealing the First Amendment, and the Bible, specifically Mosaic Law (Leviticus) would be declared as equal to the Constitution in determining the laws of the United States
-In order to ensure they never lost power in the US again, they would only allow certain people to vote that passed a "holiness test" in the national Baptist church
-Shirley Phelps Roper would be Attorney General of the United States

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 04:59 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,455,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Here are my predictions if the religious right were to ever get complete power in the USA, which could happen if Obama screws up bad enough and this country elects Palin as President and congress is overtaken by ultra-conservative Republicans.

-Any scientist who openly denied a literal 6-day creation that occurred 6000 years ago would be put on a watch list
-Divorce would be banned
-Gays would be tortured and killed if they refused to be "cured" by a group such as Exodus International
-Everyone would be required to attend church and the government would track it by a church membership ID card
-All churches that denied a literal, fundamentalist interpretation of the Bible would be closed, non-Christian religious groups would have to go underground
-Alcohol would be banned
-Women would be banned from holding full-time jobs if they had children under age 16
-The prerequisite for holding political office would be to have once been a full time minister i.e. Huckabee
-The Constitution would be amended repealing the First Amendment, and the Bible, specifically Mosaic Law (Leviticus) would be declared as equal to the Constitution in determining the laws of the United States
-In order to ensure they never lost power in the US again, they would only allow certain people to vote that passed a "holiness test" in the national Baptist church

Thoughts?
Sounds like Afghanistan.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:00 PM

26,126 posts, read 48,749,174 times
I'm sure "Rev" Fred Phelps would agree with the whole list.

The late Jerry Falwell would've agreed with it too, except for the torture part, though since he once said that AIDS was God's wrath for Gays he just might deny them medicines and let them die of AIDS-related diseases, a torture of sorts for sure.

Most of that stuff would fly with many of the fundies, plus Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, and many others.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:12 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,667,634 times
Yes. We would go back to the stone age and the people small villages in Africa would wonder how backward and outdated we are.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:14 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,936,784 times
Default hope you are joking

Quote:
and this country elects Palin as President and congress is overtaken by ultra-conservative Republicans... Thoughts?
I hope you're not serious, that's not how it would go down. Many of you would label me a neo-con but I am opposed to every one of those bullet points. I'm sure the huge majority on the right will say the same. The right will not tolerate far-right draconian policies as much as we are opposed to far left policies.

Just saying that if Palin was president, none of those points would materialize.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:16 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,142,017 times
Quote:

-Divorce would be banned
-Alcohol would be banned

Thoughts?
Have you ever read the Constitution of the United States? It doesn't sound like you have, but I could be wrong.

Lets just look at the part about amending the thing. The Constitution says that it can be amended in only one of four ways. Congress is involved in the proposing part and the states are involved in the approval part.

Ok, Congress can propose an amendmentm if 2/3 of the people in both houses of Congress vote to do so

or they can call a Convention for the purpose of proposing an amendment. Now we have the amendment proposed how do we get it approved.

If 3/4 of state legislatures vote to amend it is approved. That normally takes years, and I mean more than 3 or 4 so surely the Dems could gain control of enough state legislatures before they vote. Hell, I think they already control some of those things. It is possible for states to use state conventions for this part but not ever going to happen.

Do you think a national convention will ever be called for the purpose of proposing an amendment? I seriously doubt that although it is listed as one of the ways to propose an amendment. Why would an old fool like me say a thing like that? I know that when the Congress under the Articles of Confederation called a convention for that purpose they just agreed to write a new one and we are now supposedly living under what they did.

Yep, those Founders didn't care for the Articles of Confederation which had organized a very weak government so they just wrote another one. Can you imagine how much blood would flow at that convention? Oh yes, there were some fist fights at that first convention with some real talking used to avoid some others.

I think you have been reading some far left site like maybe CPUSA. Have you been reading there? Are you afraid of all Christians or just a few that are too far right for you?

Old 12-10-2009, 05:24 PM

14,863 posts, read 8,147,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Have you ever read the Constitution of the United States? It doesn't sound like you have, but I could be wrong.

Lets just look at the part about amending the thing. The Constitution says that it can be amended in only one of four ways. Congress is involved in the proposing part and the states are involved in the approval part.

Ok, Congress can propose an amendmentm if 2/3 of the people in both houses of Congress vote to do so

or they can call a Convention for the purpose of proposing an amendment. Now we have the amendment proposed how do we get it approved.

If 3/4 of state legislatures vote to amend it is approved. That normally takes years, and I mean more than 3 or 4 so surely the Dems could gain control of enough state legislatures before they vote. Hell, I think they already control some of those things. It is possible for states to use state conventions for this part but not ever going to happen.

Do you think a national convention will ever be called for the purpose of proposing an amendment? I seriously doubt that although it is listed as one of the ways to propose an amendment. Why would an old fool like me say a thing like that? I know that when the Congress under the Articles of Confederation called a convention for that purpose they just agreed to write a new one and we are now supposedly living under what they did.

Yep, those Founders didn't care for the Articles of Confederation which had organized a very weak government so they just wrote another one. Can you imagine how much blood would flow at that convention? Oh yes, there were some fist fights at that first convention with some real talking used to avoid some others.

I think you have been reading some far left site like maybe CPUSA. Have you been reading there? Are you afraid of all Christians or just a few that are too far right for you?
I am fairly sure that Christians are the source of practically all science and technology in the last 500 years. What makes you think Christians will turn their backs on science just because they "REGAIN" more power.

Honestly, these people are trying to paint the religious right as being unintelligent, who want to let the church run everyones lives. These scare tactics are employed as propaganda. Just ignore him.

And one last thing, the only way to EVER prove that religion was wrong, would be if they could find out where matter originated from(as in, the matter that was part of the big bang). It cannot just appear out of nowhere, that would be "magic".

Old 12-10-2009, 05:27 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,628,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Sounds like Afghanistan.
My thought exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I'm sure "Rev" Fred Phelps would agree with the whole list.

The late Jerry Falwell would've agreed with it too, except for the torture part, though since he once said that AIDS was God's wrath for Gays he just might deny them medicines and let them die of AIDS-related diseases, a torture of sorts for sure.

Most of that stuff would fly with many of the fundies, plus Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, and many others.
You can claim anything you want about Falwell, now that he's gone and can't correct for the record. Convenient for you. I also expected a more reasoned and considered post from you. This I could mistake for any of the far left wackos here who sling c*rap without thinking first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
I hope you're not serious, that's not how it would go down. Many of you would label me a neo-con but I am opposed to every one of those bullet points. I'm sure the huge majority on the right will say the same. The right will not tolerate far-right draconian policies as much as we are opposed to far left policies.

Just saying that if Palin was president, none of those points would materialize.
You're quite right. None of that would happen, nor would even of the suggestion of such extremism be tolerated. The OP and others should remember that the far right is a "fringe", just as the far left is a "fringe". Neither represents the majority on either side.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:27 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,455,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I am fairly sure that Christians are the source of practically all science and technology in the last 500 years. What makes you think Christians will turn their backs on science just because they "REGAIN" more power.
Are you sure? I have to think about Galileo and all other scientist the church did not like and tried to ban.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:33 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,906,687 times
Quote:

-Divorce would be banned
-Alcohol would be banned

Thoughts?
I see you are familiar with the climate science approach to prediction models.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies