Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:23 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,215,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
How would you know what's in them? You haven't read them and are just regurgitating the dismissive narrative from the Left.

If you had read them AND the analysis of those data files that is coming out everyday, you would know the truth.

The work and conclusions from the CRU have been widely relied upon throughout the AGW community. They and their falsified data are the basis for everything that comes after.
I don't know what's in them, that's true. But I know human nature. And I know that scientists are basically good people interested in discovering the truth about how the world works. And I know wingnuts. They are interested in defending their tribe and are capable of lying passionately to win at politics. They have no shame.

The scientists have years of effort and work behind them, and their conclusions are, like evolution, consistent between dozens of branches of science.

Wingnuts are trying to get me to believe in a global conspiracy between scientists, bureaucrats, and journalists. And they are backed and funded by people who are desperate to prove that global warming isn't happening (or is natural).

So, who do I believe in this case? That's easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 09:25 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You dont' have to believe in man made warming in order to make money in the green tech stocks You just have to beleive in the stock.
...and if you have a lot of money tied up in green technology stocks, wouldn't that bias your opinion against exposing the scam?

Old 12-11-2009, 09:29 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I don't know what's in them, that's true. But I know human nature. And I know that scientists are basically good people interested in discovering the truth about how the world works. And I know wingnuts. They are interested in defending their tribe and are capable of lying passionately to win at politics. They have no shame.

The scientists have years of effort and work behind them, and their conclusions are, like evolution, consistent between dozens of branches of science.

Wingnuts are trying to get me to believe in a global conspiracy between scientists, bureaucrats, and journalists. And they are backed and funded by people who are desperate to prove that global warming isn't happening (or is natural).

You shouldn't "believe" anyone. You should look at the numbers/charts and decide for yourself. Those who "believe" either a pro-AGW scientist or an AGW skeptic who also happens to be a scientist are simply too lazy to examine data. The "wingnuts" on CD have offered much more explanation as to the nature of the Matlab modules and graphs than the "believers". All the "believers" can offer is presenting people over facts. It's pure idol worship.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Good grief, how immature. "The bad people are only on the right, those on the left are interested only in truth and purity."

Quote:
There is no requirement for a person to check their ideology at the door before accepting their college degree.

Quote:

So we are back to "The bad people are trying to make me look at the dark words of heresy." Maybe we are just pointing the man behind the curtain.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:38 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,243,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This will create a new class of millionaires and do very little to save the earth.
And he will be the fat king of the millionaires. He can invite them over to his big, honkin house, where he uses more electricity per month than the avg TN resident does in one year, and continue to pat himself on the back for saving the planet from all those energy spewing minions.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Exactly how many trillion have they handed out so far?
Be hard to quantify and it's probably not a trillion unless you wanted to count worldwide. In the US it would be measured in the 100's of billions if you wanted to consider all renewable energy.

The more important figure is the ratio per unit of generation and what its going towards. All energy including the fossil fuel industry gets some US subsidization.

If we go by 2007 figures for federal subsidies coal for example received about $0.44per megawatt of generation or about $0.40 for what the average household would use in a month. I figure it out on a per gallon basis once and forget the exact number for gasoline but it was either a few pennies or fraction of a penny.

In comparison Solar and Wind get around $25.00 per megawatt.

The greatest beneficiary of federal subsides in 2007 by far was the ethanol industry when you consider overall total, per unit is measured if I remember correctly something like $2.50 a gallon but don't quote me on that.

The bigger thing to note about the subsidies is while the lions share of that given to coal as an example was used for R&D anything going to wind and solar was direct tax breaks which effectively subsidizes production. None of these renewable projects would be profitable without government help.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/servicer...df/execsum.pdf

That just includes federal subsidies, there is also state and local incentives.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:52 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
...and if you have a lot of money tied up in green technology stocks, wouldn't that bias your opinion against exposing the scam?

The same should be said for the 911-Iraq scam promoting Haliburton, Blackwater and the entire defense industry - not to mention the blood - but all on a smaller scale.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:54 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Green tech companies are not a scams. For example, solar energy, or wind energy, fuel efficient cars or energy efficient appliences are not scams. Get it?

In the name of opposing the "great conspiracy" some people like you fight them to death, because you don't understand, or don't care that we need to reduce our dependency to foreign oil.

Do you realize you oppose every effort to reduce our dependency to foreign oil? I don't think you do. When you fight the "great conspiracy" you are fighting to maintain status quo, which is to keep us dependent on oil. You are fighting someone else's fight (oil lobby) and you don't even know it.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
You shouldn't "believe" anyone. You should look at the numbers/charts and decide for yourself. Those who "believe" either a pro-AGW scientist or an AGW skeptic who also happens to be a scientist are simply too lazy to examine data. The "wingnuts" on CD have offered much more explanation as to the nature of the Matlab modules and graphs than the "believers". All the "believers" can offer is presenting people over facts. It's pure idol worship.
The fraud deniers will not back down, they have one standing belief that mankind is vile, and we are destroying the planet, and the only good people on this planet are environmentalists.

Even though we can prove beyond a doubt that man-induced CO2 is not warming the planet, it will not matter. In their minds humans are destroying the planet , and whether or not this AGW scam, or some other new scam replaces it, and no matter what hardships we endure in the process, all that is important is that humans change their destructive habits and stop using filthy fossil fuels.

Tell me I'm wrong, idahogie.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
I don't know what's in them, that's true. But I know human nature. And I know that scientists are basically good people interested in discovering the truth about how the world works .
If you do not think politics plays a huge role in "science" you are being naive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies