Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 05:39 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,293,746 times

Advertisements

Funny2 - Politically Correct Dictionary

Politically Correct Dictionary (some old - some new) - Southern Maryland Community Forums

Politically Incorrect Dictionary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 01:00 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,456,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
PC has has gone way overboard. You can't say blind, it is now sight challenged, not deaf, hearing challenged, not short vertically challenged. Get a life. And why is it always if you don't use one of the new PC phrases you are accused of hatred?
I've never been told not to say blind, deaf or short. I don't know what talk-radio bubble you inhabit but it's nice to get out into the real world once in awhile.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:00 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,070,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
So if you walk up to a kid with Down's Syndrome and call him a retard, or a kid in a wheelchair and call him a crip because that's how you really feel, that's OK?

Got it. It's only unacceptable if you're doing it to be mean. If you're doing it because that's how you feel, then it's OK.

Welcome to the world of the loony Right.
What does this have to do with the "loony right"?

Old 12-12-2009, 03:03 AM

190 posts, read 210,034 times
I may disagree with what you say but I will defend to the death my right to disagree with what you say.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:16 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,070,791 times
I think the probem many have with being "PC" is the feeling of having to walk on eggshells, of having to monitor and engage in doublethink regarding what we say about/around certain groups. Anything and everything is being construed these days as being "offensive" to anyone and everyone.

Major Nidal Hasan (the Fort Hood shooter)...correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it considered un-PC to discuss the shooters extremist Muslim ties? To even mention them? As far as Von Braunn (the Holocaust museum shooter), it was not considered un-PC to discuss his radical ties to white supremicist/Christian extremist groups. So why the double standards?

It seems like it's okay to insult certain groups while others are clearly exempt. I think that's the problem people have with all of this PC-ness.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:19 AM

805 posts, read 1,508,106 times
Welcome to the newly minted America:

Diverse
Hypersensitive
Quickly offended
Overreactive
Accusatory
Eager to label and ostracize

Which all limits freedom of thought and speech, kills any analysis and objective examination of issues, forces people to hide their true feelings and lie, creates lots of phonies, and shoves truth under the rug just so some feelings won't be hurt.

This is how to be a true patriot in the new America: DON'T HURT PEOPLE'S FEELINGS. They might call you a "xxxist" and then nobody will want anything to do with you. You will be the outcast, even if some around you secretly think you're a hero.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:31 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,456,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Major Nidal Hasan (the Fort Hood shooter)...correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it considered un-PC to discuss the shooters extremist Muslim ties? To even mention them?
By whom?

I'm about as pro-Muslim as any atheist can reasonably be, but if I heard someone in a military capacity preaching the destruction of infidels (assuming that's what he really was doing), hell, even I'd have to mention it to someone.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:56 AM

23,164 posts, read 26,122,269 times
PC also includes words like mailman, waitress/waiter, stewardess.....just waiting to be told to stop using human.
It's a strange thing.....most people I know with whatever disability don't use PC terms when talking about it.
Even fat people will say they're fat....deaf people do not say they are 'hearing challenged'

Old 12-12-2009, 04:12 AM

13,290 posts, read 15,262,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
deaf people do not say they are 'hearing challenged'
No they don't say 'hearing challenged'. The don't say 'deaf' either.

They usually use the 'H' sign twice which stands for 'Heard of Hearing'

or they use another combination of signs that mean 'ears closed'

Old 12-12-2009, 04:20 AM

23,164 posts, read 26,122,269 times
I said "people I know".
Who are the 'they' you're referring to? People you know ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies